Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've seen countless threads on here discussing how prestigious a university is as if it's the most important factor in choosing your course. Trust me, it isn't.

If you go to Cambridge or Oxford, then that will look superb on your CV and will make it very easy to get an interview. It's a similar situation if you study economics at LSE.

However, the amount of people here who believe going to a uni like Edinburgh or Manchester is going to be an open door to employment is amazing. It really isn't. Red-brick or not employers look straight at your qualifications when they recieve a C.V from a graduate. If they're good enough and relevant to the job then 99% of the time you will get an interview and then it's up to you to present yourself as an ideal candidate.

For the people here who think they're something special because they're going to a good but not quite excellent uni; you are not. Likewise if you're going to one of the smaller, less fashionable unis ignore the tripe on here about the importance of the uni's reputation. If you pick the right course and work hard enough you will get the degree and the grades you deserve and your employer will not care less whether you attended Birmingham or Brighton, it's irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    Correct. On TSR university rankings is another way kids try to prove they're somehow 'better' than their peers, as if such a hierarchy exists. Of course certain places have better links with certain industries than others, and the quality of education some institutions are renowned for might arguably better prepare their graduates for various things, but its not the case that theres some sliding scale based on university name.

Entry requirements are a product of popularity, and little else. You might feel (and be entitled to) that going to a specific university will give you a head start over others when it comes to the crunch in later life- but all the evidence available shows it doesn't follow the league table trends, and at the best of times, is only partially useful at gaining you an interview. If you don't want to be kicked back out of the door you've found has been opened for you, it comes down to much more than that.

It's like talking to a brick wall trying to tell TSR that though.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you're correct, but the reason why people say it's "easier" or ranking matters is because of the opportunities available to those higher up. Say you're at a uni like Brighton, you're going to have to work 10x harder than a person who went to Oxbridge or the top 10, so in a sense the fact that you have an advantages in terms resources and links, therefore mean you've got a far better chance of getting employed. This is just my opinion... and I have friends who have proven exactly this.

ReputationRep:
    I concur. It seems that many individuals look upon how prestigious a university is, as opposed to looking at other aspects

ReputationRep:
    well said . :-)

hard work is what it's about . not where you study .

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say all employers played by the rules, ignored the university you went to and focused on your degree. That's just as big a generalisation as saying it's all they do. It depends on the job you're going for and the degree you studied, as some universities just have better reputations for some subjects than others do.

ReputationRep:
    What's the point in anyone trying to get into ''good'' universities if, at the end of the day it doesn't make any difference? Why do well when you can cruise?

ReputationRep:
    Mostly true, but you should consider professions like Law where university prestige is painfully important.

ReputationRep:
    very, very true. Thats why i've never been bothered about prestige because it is utterly meaningless and fairly pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    I know for Medicine its totally irrelevant but why is that not the case for Law

ReputationRep:
    Here Here

The number of people on here obsessed about league tables and whether LSE/Bristol/Durham/Notts/Sheffield is better than Warwick/St Andrews/Edinburgh/Imperial is just pathetic

Once you are in a decent Russell Group University your goal is generally to juggle
    A)Getting a 2.1
    B)Having a social life
    C) "Making the most of University"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truckstopblues)

hard work is what it's about . not where you study .
    Problem is, where you study is usually a good indication of how hard you work. You work hard at A levels, you go to a great uni. You don't work, you go to a 'less prestigious' uni. Employers might (and I'm not saying they don't take the degree into question too) infer from where you studied for your degree that you are a hard worker, or not.

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone has missed the OP's point.

edit: Oh no, wait. They haven't.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Overmars)
    I think everyone has missed the OP's point.

edit: Oh no, wait. They haven't.
    exactly correct me if im wrong but he basically said unless you go to Oxbridge/ LSE your uni means nothing and if you go to Manchester you might aswell go to a uni much less ranked like kingston...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    exactly correct me if im wrong but he basically said unless you go to Oxbridge/ LSE your uni means nothing and if you go to Manchester you might aswell go to a uni much less ranked like kingston...
    That's what I thought he was saying, but he might not be. Didn't think it was that clear.

Anyway, I couldn't care less, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    I have a dream that one day TSR users will take non-academic considerations into account when picking a University

ReputationRep:
    says the guy from Canterbury Christchurch uni?
    you find everyone who says prestige is important go to a russel group, people who say prestige isnt normally dont go to a prestious uni.
    seriously you cant say prestige isnt important unless you go to a really good uni or it sounds like sour grapes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Don't think he meant it like that tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serrellen)
    Problem is, where you study is usually a good indication of how hard you work. You work hard at A levels, you go to a great uni. You don't work, you go to a 'less prestigious' uni. Employers might (and I'm not saying they don't take the degree into question too) infer from where you studied for your degree that you are a hard worker, or not.

that's not always true , some people work very hard but aren't capable of getting into these top uni's because they simply aren't intelligent enough .

in certain fields where you study might be a factor in an employers decision but generally speaking they want dedication and experience , and you can achieve that wherever you go as long as your willing to put the effort in .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    I know for Medicine its totally irrelevant but why is that not the case for Law
    Law doesn't have an external body that requires a high standard in order to acredit the course. Medicine has the GMC for that, which requires a very high standard for all universities that teach it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.