Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    There are other excellent universities offering Law besides Oxbridge and LSE, but most law is a natoriously competitive subject and entry requirements are high (usually AAA) so you'll still need very good grades.

You can practice Law without doing a Law degree however, if any other subject interests you (I plan on doing a languages degree first).
    wait, you can do law without doing law at uni!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rimipie)
    Yes, you can do a degree in something else then a one year Graduate Diploma in Law instead which qualifies you to proceed to the next stage in training to become a solicitor/barrister.

ReputationRep:
    You can do a conversion course (it's a year, I think, after your degree, and then you are allowed to practice law as law graduates are) and I think probably a better idea than a Law course unless you really have a passion for studying Law itself for three years. One of our teachers always advised those wanting to be lawyers to do a degree in something they really would enjoy and then convert.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I understand it, it's called a law conversion course. You do your first degree (in languages, politics, history, english or something similar normally I think, though I don't believe there's any requirement. These would most likely be the best choices though) and then do a postgraduate law course.

Apparently some law firms prefer this, but I don't know how true that is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coroar)
    I've seen countless threads on here discussing how prestigious a university is as if it's the most important factor in choosing your course. Trust me, it isn't.

If you go to Cambridge or Oxford, then that will look superb on your CV and will make it very easy to get an interview. It's a similar situation if you study economics at LSE.

However, the amount of people here who believe going to a uni like Edinburgh or Manchester is going to be an open door to employment is amazing. It really isn't. Red-brick or not employers look straight at your qualifications when they recieve a C.V from a graduate. If they're good enough and relevant to the job then 99% of the time you will get an interview and then it's up to you to present yourself as an ideal candidate.

For the people here who think they're something special because they're going to a good but not quite excellent uni; you are not. Likewise if you're going to one of the smaller, less fashionable unis ignore the tripe on here about the importance of the uni's reputation. If you pick the right course and work hard enough you will get the degree and the grades you deserve and your employer will not care less whether you attended Birmingham or Brighton, it's irrelevant.
    Left college with 3 Cs at A-Level. Took a degree in Marketing but dropped out in my second year because it was boring and the uni cocked up about 50 peoples placements

:rolleyes: :nah:

LMAO why do dumb asses regurgitate the same trash when it comes to University rankings.

TSR never take advice on the unimportance rankings from people like the OP

ReputationRep:
    i think at the undegrad level it's important to find a perfect balance - prestigious Uni/good degree. you dont' want to end up studying 4 years the subject you are not interested in and you also dont want to be dissapointed with the quality of teaching at some low-rated Uni-s. Even the rankings and all these Uni leagues can be sometimes considered as a "stupid" , they still represent the general overview on the quality of institution.

It's not only about the employment prospectives after graduation from highly-ranked Uni, it's also high standarts of teaching.
    If you have a choice between 2 Universities which dont have a huge gap in ranking in between, say Bristol and Durham - you'd better choose the one with the better degree and not the one which is higher ranked. If your choice, lets say between KCL and Kingston that i'd suggest to choose the one which is higher ranked.

Actually i think every individual case is diffrent...

I'm also facing UCL/City Dilemma now, but i'm postgrad student.

ReputationRep:
    Couple of points:

1. People don't just want to go to a "prestigious uni" (whatever that is) for the job prospects; people may view it as a measure of personal success, or reward for their pre-university/-degree hard work. Moreover, people might want to go to a top university so they can learn amongst and be taught by intelligent people etc.
    2. Some employers do pay a lot of attention to the university their potential employees went to; there are a hell of a lot of employers out there and a hell of a lot of different industries so it's hard to make sweeping assertions.
    3. Other employers (arguably the entrepreneurial types who didn't even go to university themselves) couldn't give a toss about which university a job applicant went to. To use a slightly moronic example, do you honestly think Alan Sugar would care about whether or not someone got there degree from Cambridge or Coventry? No, of course he wouldn't - he's going to care about whether or not they're going to make him more money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan)
    I have a dream that one day TSR users will take non-academic considerations into account when picking a University
    You even linked to wikipedia to prove your point That's thorough!

ReputationRep:
    If you went to a private school and PAID for your grades then they are the last to judge ppl who went to lesser universities.

ReputationRep:
    Funny also that there are alot of ppl on thsi thread in particular with high warning levels lol.

Who cares what degree you get and where its from, you can still do a very good course like primary pgce, since the subject is irrelevant.

Most ppl get a degree and get a average job. I read soemwhere that 50% of ppl with degrees get jobs without a degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lifelongstudent)
    Most ppl get a degree and get a average job. I read soemwhere that 50% of ppl with degrees get jobs without a degree.
    way to make sense there champ

ReputationRep:
    I'm sort of unsure of what side of the fence I sit on this one.

I'm going to Bangor in September to study Geography after having a gap year. I got into the university with A-Level grades of CCD (C in geography). I'm very, very happy with Bangor and have no regrets about applying. I think that I've got into a good university for my grades and honestly don't see it has being a problem when I apply for a job assuming I get a 2:1 or above. So on the one hand I don't care that much about prestige.

HOWEVER....I wish that I had worked harder sometimes and got better A-Level grades. I would of liked to of gone to a top university, not so I can show off but because there're the top for a reason and who knows what other opportunities could of been available?

If prestige is rubbish why do people with top grades apply for the top universities?

I'm not bitter at all and of course I can see the point of people with top grades applying for the top unis because if you can go to Oxford why would you choose Bangor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 017495)
    I'm sort of unsure of what side of the fence I sit on this one.

I'm going to Bangor in September to study Geography after having a gap year. I got into the university with A-Level grades of CCD (C in geography). I'm very, very happy with Bangor and have no regrets about applying. I think that I've got into a good university for my grades and honestly don't see it has being a problem when I apply for a job assuming I get a 2:1 or above. So on the one hand I don't care that much about prestige.

HOWEVER....I wish that I had worked harder sometimes and got better A-Level grades. I would of liked to of gone to a top university, not so I can show off but because there're the top for a reason and who knows what other opportunities could of been available?

If prestige is rubbish why do people with top grades apply for the top universities?

I'm not bitter at all and of course I can see the point of people with top grades applying for the top unis because if you can go to Oxford why would you choose Bangor?
    Can't speak for everyone, but in my case, because I like the places. Particularly true of Durham and Edinburgh - prestigious universities but I fell in love with the places regardless of prestige

ReputationRep:
    It's easier to get a 2:1 degree from a uni that is easier to get into. Employers surely know this. They therefore know which graduates have had to work harder and are naturally more able at their subject.

However you are right, I have been told by people in the know that once you get an interview, that is what it's all about. If they like you, they couldn't care less where you were educated.

ReputationRep:
    So you guys must think I'm crazy?
    I got into 2 universities around 35th position in The Times league tables. But I rejected their offer, and I'm doing an Access to HE course in order to get into a better uni. (Illness led to bad a-levels)

My dad, who is at a high position at a leading firm in London, told me that uni position DOES matter today. (kind of funny, because he didn't even get A-levels, let alone uni - But that was a long time ago)

He told me that you need to go to a uni in the Top 30~ to have a chance at the top firms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ndkathleen)
    I got into 2 universities around 35th position in The Times league tables. But I rejected their offer, and I'm doing an Access to HE course in order to get into a better uni. (Illness led to bad a-levels)

My dad, who is at a high position at a leading firm in London, told me that uni position DOES matter today. (kind of funny, because he didn't even get A-levels, let alone uni - But that was a long time ago)

He told me that you need to go to a uni in the Top 30~ to have a chance at the top firms.
    That's a very sweeping statement. Surely it depends what area you're looking to work in...
    I've got aspirations of getting a graduate position with one of "the big 4", but despite the fact that I go to an ex-poly, I've taken advice from a friend that works in recruitment and he says that, providing that I do well, I stand a good chance of getting a place. The differentiating factor is, I'm not studying business/finance etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    Mostly true, but you should consider professions like Law where university prestige is painfully important.
    You're using law as a synonym for Magic Circle firms aren't you? Not everyone wants to be a private lawyer you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ndkathleen)

But this makes the assumption the top 30 will always be the top 30. You might well find that your access course gets you into a university in 18th- but what if, in 7 or 8 years time, its now 32nd, and the two you rejected inside this mystical top 30 that your dad says is all important? Durham's been outside of the top 20 in various tables, so has Edinburgh, heck, St Andrews was 40 somethingth once, and now Exeter, this years top 10 institution, has risen over 30 places from when I started looking at universities in 2002. If you really think that you're going to be at an advantage at Exeter over Leeds 20 places below it, you're well and truly off your head. In a warped sort of way, I'm really hoping for people with that attitude to go to a university which suddenly plummets a couple of dozen places in the league table, it might teach them something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    It's easier to get a 2:1 degree from a uni that is easier to get into. Employers surely know this. They therefore know which graduates have had to work harder and are naturally more able at their subject.

However you are right, I have been told by people in the know that once you get an interview, that is what it's all about. If they like you, they couldn't care less where you were educated.
    Congratulations, that must be the 50th incorrect statement on this thread. No two courses are the same, but it doesn't follow suit that easier entry equals easier to get top grades- go look at the QAA research on the subject before making statements like that. Entry requirements are a result of demand outstripping supply. They expect no less from their students, for instance, in order to get a 2:1 at Aberdeen (BCC entry, 5 applicants per place) than they do at St Andrews (AAB, 13 per place)- although you do find more getting better marks at St Andrews. 15 years ago both universities asked for the same entry grades, and the course Prince William applied for has jumped from BBC to AAB in under a decade.

ReputationRep:
    I think what he means is that the most important thing isn't the University you go to, but what you make out of it. And I couldn't agree more

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.