Turn on thread page Beta

"Prestigious" Universities watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It does matter if you go to one because when Labour set up the Post 1992 Uni's they wanted Uni's for the sake of having kids in school and not because they were outstanding educational establishments. Some of the Uni's which gained status in 1992 or even 2006 are just a joke. Im sorry I dont go to a better uni. Don't forget we all pay the same amount, we might aswell get a real education and the post 92s dont do that properly.

ReputationRep:
    but how do we know that employers don't look at the rankings when choosing recruits. Its such an easily accessible tool and whether its good or not it is the most clear way you can see a ranking of universities. I find it really hard to believe that employers don't look at and/or get influenced by the league tables and i this respect they probably can be pretty important

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coroar)
    For the people here who think they're something special because they're going to a good but not quite excellent uni; you are not. Likewise if you're going to one of the smaller, less fashionable unis ignore the tripe on here about the importance of the uni's reputation. If you pick the right course and work hard enough you will get the degree and the grades you deserve and your employer will not care less whether you attended Birmingham or Brighton, it's irrelevant.
    Semi-colon fail. But yeah, I agree. I take it you're going to a less traditional uni?

ReputationRep:
    Nonsense. For example in economics, only 10 economic schools teach a rigorous economics based course - the rest teach a very watered down version of economics. In fact at my university (Nottingham) we probably learn the same amount of economics in our first year as a Hertfordshire student would studying economics for 3 years. I know this because I have compared my degree to a friend who is studying economics there.

ReputationRep:
    If there's one thing as equally misleading as generalising university "reputations", it's generalising an employer's motives. Ironically, the same error has been produced in this thread.

Take a look at Sir Alan Sugar, for instance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoliticalNonsense)
    It does matter if you go to one because when Labour set up the Post 1992 Uni's they wanted Uni's for the sake of having kids in school and not because they were outstanding educational establishments. Some of the Uni's which gained status in 1992 or even 2006 are just a joke. Im sorry I dont go to a better uni. Don't forget we all pay the same amount, we might aswell get a real education and the post 92s dont do that properly.
    Shocking generalisation, but sadly, no less than I've come to expect on GUD. This thread is a mircocosm of the wider TSR problem, full of teenagers who have virtually no experience of higher education or graduate employment, professing to know it all without the first clue of what they're talking about, beyond a table printed in a newspaper. Reading threads like this, its a wonder how TSR got the reputation of being a haven for confused students to get answers to their problems, as some of the drivel on here misleads much more than it helps.

ReputationRep:
    Uni Prestige is incredibly important yet only forms part of the mix, however league table are given too much authority here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0404343m)
    You might well find that your access course gets you into a university in 18th- but what if, in 7 or 8 years time, its now 32nd
    Missing the point :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ndkathleen)
    Missing the point :rolleyes:
    You said you had to go to a "Top 30" and thus rejected two universities ranked 35th or so. Yet I'm missing the point to suggest that they might not always be in the this top 30 in later years? Do elaborate, this should be good.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Dingy)
    Tosh, St Andrews is in the middle of nowhere and bloody hard to get too for the scores of English students who go there every year, but it still has a very high entry tariff, same with Edinburgh.
    You forget they had the Prince William factor. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind people bragging about the amazing Unis they're going to, for many they're chuffed with the achievement, and for the few that just want to look down their nose at me (I'm going to Southampton, not Oxford), well I might as well humour them. Who cares? Some people have nothing better to do than look down at other people. And some people just want to be proud of their achievements.

I totally agree with the OP though, it's the degree that matters more than the University.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    Nonsense. For example in economics, only 10 economic schools teach a rigorous economics based course - the rest teach a very watered down version of economics. In fact at my university (Nottingham) we probably learn the same amount of economics in our first year as a Hertfordshire student would studying economics for 3 years. I know this because I have compared my degree to a friend who is studying economics there.
    A very good post.

While for certain courses there is a minimum standard, such as with law or medicine or psychology, there are subjects which have great variations in quality of course content depending on the university, and economics is certainly one of those disciplines.

The difference in quantitativeness of content and level of econometrics covered depending on the university attended is astounding.

ReputationRep:
    People are astounded at the fact I rejected Glasgow univeristy for Stirling, but I don't care. People should just accept the fact that some places are just 'right' for them regardless of university tables. Snobbery in any form is just stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Some people have misinterpreted what I was trying to say.

I mentioned that I've seen many threads on here which over-emphasise the importance of the university that people go to. The reason I mentioned Oxford and Cambridge is because I know that their reputation is so impressive and therefore they are an exception to the rest of my post. Likewise I know that if you want a job in finance then a degree at LSE will do you no harm at all and I'm sure there are many other institutions which have a good reputation in certain subjects.

But my point was that people are seeing league tables and the university's reputation/prestige as the be all and end all and I don't think it is. Once you get your degree if you get a good grade you will find it fairly easy to be offered interviews. It's in an employer's best interest to interview as many applicants as possible.

There are alot of snobs on here who really need to get their heads out of their arses. You could get 4A's at A-Level and go to the uni of your dreams, if you don't have the social skills to impress at an interview then you're screwed. I can imagine there are a few 17 year-olds on here who aren't going to get straight A's in their A-Levels who may have been majorly put off by their prospects. This post was mainly about reassuring them.

The fact is everyone here is either considering going to university or is already there, and I really don't like the snobbery shown by some members of this site. We're all in the same boat and if you work hard and get the work/play balance right then you will love university and you will get a job at the end of it, regardless of where you will go.

I know some of you will still disagree with me and that's fair enough. It's just the way I see it.

I've been to uni before and although I dropped out I still enjoyed the experience. It quickly became clear that the course wasn't the right one for me but I don't regret going (although I'm already 7k in debt now).

ReputationRep:
    You are a loser and failure in life because you dropped out.
    What a terrible thing to say to someone who's going to become a teacher.

ReputationRep:
    Please go away, you don't in any way shape or form represent TSR. You study a pathetic subject (its not even a degree) at the most pathetic university. You don't know what employers want because you will be teaching 5 year olds for the rest of your life. You are a loser and failure in life because you dropped out. You obviously didn't get good A level grades or else you wouldn't be starting university at the age of 21. I hope you get the message.
    I'm laughing too hard to post a serious reply.

ReputationRep:
    Yet he speaks much more sense than you, funny that.
    not much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1721)
    says the guy from Canterbury Christchurch uni?
    you find everyone who says prestige is important go to a russel group, people who say prestige isnt normally dont go to a prestious uni.
    seriously you cant say prestige isnt important unless you go to a really good uni or it sounds like sour grapes
    :ditto: I was just about to say that myself. It's nearly always the ones who go to less 'prestigious' unis that like to have a ***** about people who care about going to more prestigious unis; as if they have to constantly 'justify' why they themselves are at no disadvantage whatsoever. If you don't actually think how prestgious a uni is matters why go on about it so much? If people who have worked hard to get excellent grades to specifically enable them to go to only top 10/20 unis and say these are the only unis they want to go to or feel are only worth going to - how does it affect you? It seems some people have an insecurity complex...

ReputationRep:
    But this makes the assumption the top 30 will always be the top 30. You might well find that your access course gets you into a university in 18th- but what if, in 7 or 8 years time, its now 32nd, and the two you rejected inside this mystical top 30 that your dad says is all important? Durham's been outside of the top 20 in various tables, so has Edinburgh, heck, St Andrews was 40 somethingth once, and now Exeter, this years top 10 institution, has risen over 30 places from when I started looking at universities in 2002. If you really think that you're going to be at an advantage at Exeter over Leeds 20 places below it, you're well and truly off your head. In a warped sort of way, I'm really hoping for people with that attitude to go to a university which suddenly plummets a couple of dozen places in the league table, it might teach them something.
    I seriously doubt the poster meant the exact top 30 at this exact time. There will always be a group of unis that will be seen as roughly in the top 30 regardless of random league tables. For example if Bristol dropped to position 40 on some league tables and Man Met rose to position 22, do you seriously think that the majority of intelligent people or the general public with knowledge of unis will consider Man Met to be better than Bristol? I thought it was quite clear from the OP's post that that was what she meant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melancholy)
    If there's one thing as equally misleading as generalising university "reputations", it's generalising an employer's motives. Ironically, the same error has been produced in this thread.

Take a look at Sir Alan Sugar, for instance.
    Sir Alan Sugar is not exactly representative of most employers...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.