Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone have Acid Reflux? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have really bad Acid Reflux, does anyone else suffer with it?

Anyone have tips for how to help it? =/

ReputationRep:
    Yup I do.

The first time (it's never been this bad since) I actually stopped breathing and seriously thought I was having a heart attack.

After that it was 'normal' but still really bad. It was only after about 6 months when I finally decided to go to the doctor that I mentioned it to my Mum and she was like oh yeah that's Acid Reflux - runs in the family.

I just have less beer and curry nowadays and always have Gaviscon on hand. Doesn't solve the problem but it makes it bearable.

ReputationRep:
    All I would suggest is drinking milk to neutralise the acid but I'm probably talking rubbish :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    No your not, drinking milk does help

Also there are probably certain foods which trigger it for you, so try to avoid them if you can. For short term relief something like gaviscon can help it settle

ReputationRep:
    Yes! I get this. Have had it for as long as I can remember and I get it about once a month. Going to be keeping an eye on this topic. None of my friends or family know what it is.

ReputationRep:
    I had acid reflux for a while (at least that's what the doctor said); I'm okay now. I think.

I just had Gaviscon stuff and anti-vomiting tablets for a bit, and had to avoid spicy foods and orange juice and stuff. (Once after I was recovering from being horribly sick before I knew I had it I had this HUGE lamb curry I made myself which was EXCRUCIATINGLY hot lol. It did not help. :indiff:)

ReputationRep:
    A colleague of mine apparently has reflux. She mentioned something about a medication for some other symptom. Apparently she got a little better when she eased off some drug or another - not that I'd recommend stopping medication courses or anything drastic like that.

If you're going to do something drastic, at least make it spectacular. Like drinking bleach or something.

ReputationRep:
    Omeprazole is amazing for this. I had it for a little while and it went away.

ReputationRep:
    I think I have this. After a night on the piss I get terrible chest pains for the following couple of days after. Its been like this for the past few months and I do drink quite a bit a few times a week. Does this sound like what it could be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayles101)
    I think I have this. After a night on the piss I get terrible chest pains for the following couple of days after. Its been like this for the past few months and I do drink quite a bit a few times a week. Does this sound like what it could be?
    I don't think so. Acid Reflux - at least for me - is agonising and lasts for only 1-2 hours. It usually happens in the night and never more frequent than one every month. It has me literally writing in pain.

It starts with a build up of phlegm on the roof of the mouth. Because of this excess phlegm your obliged to swallow and a few seconds after you do is usually when the pain strikes - like a wave that rises up the chest. After half an hour of this I get a rush of saliva that tastes quite sweet - loads of it, so I have to keep swallowing. At this point I ALWAYS feels like I'm about to vomit and end up in the bathroom but I never have. That last for about 5 minutes. After that it generally settles down.

Not nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tlozoot)
    I don't think so. Acid Reflux - at least for me - is agonising and lasts for only 1-2 hours. It usually happens in the night and never more frequent than one every month. It has me literally writing in pain.

It starts with a build up of phlegm on the roof of the mouth. Because of this excess phlegm your obliged to swallow and a few seconds after you do is usually when the pain strikes - like a wave that rises up the chest. After half an hour of this I get a rush of saliva that tastes quite sweet - loads of it, so I have to keep swallowing. At this point I ALWAYS feels like I'm about to vomit and end up in the bathroom but I never have. That last for about 5 minutes. After that it generally settles down.

Not nice.
    Oh dear I don't know what could be causing my chest pains then. Its strange as it only occurs the couple of days after drinking alcohol and always hurts at night, not so much during the day. I got this off google and have highlighted any symptoms I have recently experienced.

Heartburn is the main symptom. This is a burning feeling which rises from the upper abdomen or lower chest up towards the neck. (It is confusing as it has nothing to do with the heart!)
    Other common symptoms include: pain in the upper abdomen and chest, feeling sick, an acid taste in the mouth, bloating, belching, and a burning pain when you swallow hot drinks. Like heartburn, these symptoms tend to come and go, and tend to be worse after a meal.
    Some uncommon symptoms may occur. If any of these symptoms occur it can make the diagnosis difficult as these symptoms can mimic other conditions. For example:
    A persistent cough, particularly at night sometimes occurs. This is due to the refluxed acid irritating the trachea (windpipe). Asthma symptoms of cough and wheeze can sometimes be due to acid reflux.
    Other mouth and throat symptoms sometimes occur such as gum problems, bad breath, sore throat, hoarseness, and a feeling of a lump in the throat.
    Severe chest pain
    develops in some cases (and may be mistaken for a heart attack).

Still think its not what I have?

ReputationRep:
    I have acid reflux (it sucks) and I do get it quite badly whenever I drink alcohol, so yes I think you could have it.

Do any other sufferers think that doctors don't really know much about acid reflux? Each doctor tells me different things and noone really knows how to cure it; is it possible I could have this crappy illness for the rest of my life?

ReputationRep:
    If I thought it would go away simply by taking some Gaviscon or something then I wouldn't be so worried. This has only started in the past few months weirdly.

Another reason I think its what I have apart from having many of the symptoms is that it usually hurts most at night when lying down (which is apparently a time when acid reflux most commonly happens).

ReputationRep:
    If I thought it would go away simply by taking some Gaviscon or something then I wouldn't be so worried. This has only started in the past few months weirdly.

Another reason I think its what I have apart from having many of the symptoms is that it usually hurts most at night when lying down (which is apparently a time when acid reflux most commonly happens).
    Alcohol relaxes the sphincter muscles in your esophagus (LES and UES) which allows acid to flow back up. Alcohol also irritates your stomach and has an acidic effect... to add to that you probably lay down quite soon after drinking which means that the acid doesn't have to fight gravity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voudreau)
    Alcohol relaxes the sphincter muscles in your esophagus (LES and UES) which allows acid to flow back up. Alcohol also irritates your stomach and has an acidic effect... to add to that you probably lay down quite soon after drinking which means that the acid doesn't have to fight gravity.
    So you think it is likely acid reflux after all? I would not be too annoyed if that is that case as at least I'd know what it is and how to cure the pain.

ReputationRep:
    I get it worst the day or two after a hard night of consuming alcohol, and really kicks in at night when I lie down. It does happen rarely now and again without alcohol but mainly its alcohol related. Thats when its at its worst.

Also I tend to smoke a lot for some reason when Im drunk which im sure doesnt help.

ReputationRep:
    I get it about once a month but it usually lasts for about a week befroe it goes away, I usually drink milk for it and it soothes it a little. Other than that I just put up with it. Oh and brushing your teeth also helps (someting to do with the pH)

ReputationRep:
    I get it worst the day or two after a hard night of consuming alcohol, and really kicks in at night when I lie down. It does happen rarely now and again without alcohol but mainly its alcohol related. Thats when its at its worst.

Also I tend to smoke a lot for some reason when Im drunk which im sure doesnt help.
    Smoking = bad :p: now you have a reason to quit.
    I would say cut down on the alcohol too but that would make me a hypocrite. Although eating late at night is bad for it sometimes having some greasy food can line you esophagus which helps.

That pretty much applies to everyone but I quoted you because you seem like the only other person to be crazy enought to on tsr at this time:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweet by and by)
    I get it about once a month but it usually lasts for about a week befroe it goes away, I usually drink milk for it and it soothes it a little. Other than that I just put up with it. Oh and brushing your teeth also helps (someting to do with the pH)
    See you would think milk helps but apparently that not the case According to the theory, milk needs digesting and therefore causes more stomach acid to be produced (although it does have a soothing effect at the beginning). But if it works for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voudreau)
    See you would think milk helps but apparently that not the case According to the theory, milk needs digesting and therefore causes more stomach acid to be produced (although it does have a soothing effect at the beginning). But if it works for you
    It soothes it for like 2 minutes then burns like hell, one of the mysterys of life.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.