Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

what to say when retuning items of clothing? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dumbgeek)
    what is an acceptable excuse for returning because they noramlly ask you
    They do?
    The most I've ever been asked was "was there anything wrong them" and I just said "nah, just didn't want them in the end".

ReputationRep:
    are you sure, cause i am sure they normally ask you why you are returning them?
    trust me . i worked at Topshop and processed many a refund .

the last thing the shop assistant wants to do is ask you to describe in detail why you are returning the items.

just say they were unsuitable and they wont ask anything else

i always go for

'there's nothing wrong with them , just unsuitable.'

ReputationRep:
    are you sure, cause i am sure they normally ask you why you are returning them?
    (Original post by TKC)
    They do?
    The most I've ever been asked was "was there anything wrong them" and I just said "nah, just didn't want them in the end".
    No, you don't need an excuse, and they don't normally ask unless they're just being chatty.
    In most store policies, its your contractual right to return the goods, as long as they're in perfect condition, with the tags, and generally with a proof of purchase.

ReputationRep:
    you dont have to say anything lol!! if you are in the returns period with tags a reciept. take it from someone working in retail with 8 years experience. or the old fave....'got home and didnt like them!'

ReputationRep:
    "They were for somebody else but he didn't want them, the ungrateful *******. That's the last time I buy him an entire outfit! Oh wait, he loved the shoes."

ReputationRep:
    Just say I would like to return these please and if they ask is anything wrong with them say 'no, they were a gift but they're not really my style'

ReputationRep:
    I generally just say that I didn't like them when I tried them on and would like a refund.

ReputationRep:
    they normally ask why were they unsitable ?

sigh..no..they dont. i work in a clothes shop.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    they are in perfect condition and they have the tags and i have the receipt

are you sure if i say they dont fit right they will give me a refund?

and also how can i say the tie didn't fit?
    It doesn't matter! Legally, they have to refund you so long as you're within the time limit (normally around 28 days). So just check that, and you'll be fine. You can always say the tie was for a friend and they didn't like it or something.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you returning them anyway?

ReputationRep:
    The reason they ask you why you're returning them is because they need to know if they're faulty or not, so you don't need to go into detail and explain why each item was unsuitable, just say you changed your mind when you got home or say your mum or someone got them for you but you didn't like them.

ReputationRep:
    exclaim "C'MON MURRAY!!!"

ReputationRep:
    i am returning 4 items of clothing back to the store

shirt
    trousers
    tie
    jumper

what shall i say, why am i retuning each item so i definetely get a refund?
    just say i'd like to return these items.

ReputationRep:
    I ate a Biriani curry last night, and this morning they don't fit. Refund please.

ReputationRep:
    but what shall the excuse be ?
    They're fugly?

ReputationRep:
    What on earth is the problem? You're not going to be interrogated by a shop assistant trying to expose your lies.

ReputationRep:
    you don't need an excuse so long as its within the time frame and you've got the receipt. they're not going to say.. "hmm thats not a good enough reason.. you can't hvae your money back."

ReputationRep:
    Simple.

''I'm returning these items of clothing''.

ReputationRep:
    I usually say they're unsuitable.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.