Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically I find out on Friday the date of my operation, which will have about an 8 week recovery period minimum.
    As I'm sure you can work out, even if I have the operation next week, I'll be hard pressed to get to uni this September, so I am wanting to defer my entry and go in 2010 instead.

However, I want to keep my offer for the course this year, but re apply to the other courses I got rejected from.
    I decided I wanted to do Biomed, then changed my mind to Midwifery. I had no experience and was rejected from my midwifery applications.
    I'm going to use this year off to gain experience and am already in contact with people regarding this, and I will have time to retake moduels if my grades are lower.

I want to keep my offer for Biomed, while re applying for Midwifery, what is the best way to go about this?
    I have no idea what to do as I am already registered with UCAS from this year etc..
    Argh my brain hurts thinking about it.
    Anyone know? Been in a similar situation?
    Also when should I let the Admissions tutor know I want to defer? Now or once I get my results?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can keep your offer for biomed and reapply for midwifery as you go through the same agency (UCAS) so they would know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    I don't think you can keep your offer for biomed and reapply for midwifery as you go through the same agency (UCAS) so they would know.
    Right, I was wondering about that.
    The thing is I still do want to do Biomed, IF I can't get into Midwifery this time round.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruthie!)
    Right, I was wondering about that.
    The thing is I still do want to do Biomed, IF I can't get into Midwifery this time round.
    It's not me you have to convince..

If that is the case then you could apply for both. But you would have to get around how to write your personal statement to appeal to both courses, especially as one is very competitive and requires you to show work experience in the area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    It's not me you have to convince..

If that is the case then you could apply for both. But you would have to get around how to write your personal statement to appeal to both courses, especially as one is very competitive and requires you to show work experience in the area.
    Thing is last year I really messed up with my applying and stuff, didn't get enough time to think about it, the school really pressured us into applying early and I regretted my choice.
    And now I'm worried that that has ruined my chances this time round.
    I could always risk doing and entire PS for midwifery and then hoping I get an offer for the Biomed. Unless I apply for Nursing too as a precaution, with a Midwifery PS.

Gah my head hurts, too much going on at once!

ReputationRep:
    Thing is last year I really messed up with my applying and stuff, didn't get enough time to think about it, the school really pressured us into applying early and I regretted my choice.
    And now I'm worried that that has ruined my chances this time round.
    I could always risk doing and entire PS for midwifery and then hoping I get an offer for the Biomed. Unless I apply for Nursing too as a precaution, with a Midwifery PS.

Gah my head hurts, too much going on at once!
    Where was the offer for bio med at? Do they tend to have places in extra/clearing?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You will either have to apply to both courses (which would be hard with your personal statement), or look at Biomed through extra/clearing and hope you could get into a decent course.

ReputationRep:
    I want to keep my offer for Biomed, while re applying for Midwifery, what is the best way to go about this? [...] Also when should I let the Admissions tutor know I want to defer? Now or once I get my results?
    As Sarky said, you can't hold an offer for deferred entry and reapply — you'll have to choose one or the other. You should let your current firm choice know as soon as possible that you'd like to defer but make it clear that you're considering reapplying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~ Mandy ~)
    You will either have to apply to both courses (which would be hard with your personal statement), or look at Biomed through extra/clearing and hope you could get into a decent course.
    Well I know that the course I have firmed this year holds places for Extra and Clearing, as it takes on about 160 people a year.

I'm just worried I'll end up not getting in anywhere because of it.

ReputationRep:
    Well I know that the course I have firmed this year holds places for Extra and Clearing, as it takes on about 160 people a year.

I'm just worried I'll end up not getting in anywhere because of it.
    Thats a choice you're gonna have to make.

Good luck with your operation, I hope it all goes well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    As Sarky said, you can't hold an offer for deferred entry and reapply — you'll have to choose one or the other. You should let your current firm choice know as soon as possible that you'd like to defer but make it clear that you're considering reapplying.
    Ok, I guess I'll call him, (or would an e-mail be enough?) soon

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I guess I'll call him, (or would an e-mail be enough?) soon
    I think an email would be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think your only option would have to be apply for say 4 midwifery courses and 1 biomed next year, as I don't think you can defer your place and still apply again for different courses

But personally I'd just apply for 5 Midwifery course, it seems like this is where your heart truly lies. Take all the chances you can get, plus your P.S needs to be amazing for midwifery so I wouldn't recommend leaving it open and appealing to biomed as well.

If you get the experience, the grades, perform well in interview theres no reason why you shouldn't get into Midwifery next year - check out studentmidwife.net it helped me bag my place in uni this year without any experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xBubblesx)
    Yeah I think your only option would have to be apply for say 4 midwifery courses and 1 biomed next year, as I don't think you can defer your place and still apply again for different courses

But personally I'd just apply for 5 Midwifery course, it seems like this is where your heart truly lies. Take all the chances you can get, plus your P.S needs to be amazing for midwifery so I wouldn't recommend leaving it open and appealing to biomed as well.

If you get the experience, the grades, perform well in interview theres no reason why you shouldn't get into Midwifery next year - check out studentmidwife.net it helped me bag my place in uni this year without any experience
    Because of the nature of my operation, and the underlying cause I can't move too far from home, so there are only three courses I can apply for realistically. So 3 Midwifery and 1 Nursing and 1 Biomed all on a Midwifery PS?
    I am definitely getting some experience in, I have a number to shadow on some Antenatal Classes and an application form for some work experience in the hospital.
    I know its all mixed up but I know I definitely want to go on eventually to do Midwifery.
    I got an interview for a Nursing course this time round but I had already withdrawn my application, BIG mistake, I found out recently it would have been the best option for me

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.