Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tofufi)
    70 is perfectly acceptable in the RH lane of the motorway in SOME conditions, it just depends on conditions which you (and I) don't know...

However, in normal conditions (i.e. not heavy traffic, fog or rain) there would never really be a need to be in the third lane at 70mph.

Yeah obviously if the motorway is choc-a-block or it's torrential rain but on a normal day (ie. good conditions, no congestion) then you're more than capable of doing 70 in the 2nd lane and leaving the 3rd free for people who want to go a bit faster. (The only exception is when you get ******** lorry drivers trying to overtake each other despite both being limited to the same speed. HAD to mention that. Now that does annoy me...)

ReputationRep:
    Best to stick to the flow of traffic, queues on motorways happen because of people braking for other road users going too slow for the flow. Always getting stuck behind lorry races on the A1, if you want to overtake do so as quickly as possible to avoid disrupting other road users. Does my nut in when someone pulls out into the 3rd lane going 1 mile an hour faster than the car beside it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scott202)
    "Back to the loser lane..." - Michael McIntyre
    Haha I remember, hilarious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shark67)
    next time i'll slam my brakes see how u like it
    I'm not stupid, I'm not going to tailgate anyone...I'd probably flash my lights at you to signal for you to move over though....

If you weren't overtaking anything you were in the wrong. Therefore you should expect people to get angry and signal for you to move over.

ReputationRep:
    So were you overtaking anything in the second lane at the time then?

You've avoided answering this twice so far... and avoided explaining how they got past you if you stayed correctly in the third lane...

ReputationRep:
    You do know that the motorway has one of the best cctv networks in the UK and if insurance companies get a whiff of you slamming on the anchors causing an accident they will refuse to pay out and you could be charged with dangerous driving? If you're going to be a tool I'd rather you did it elsewhere.

As for your "I'm sticking to 70" comment, 70 is the LIMIT, not the target so sticking to it for no reason is just as immature as someone glued to your rear bumper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malkmus)
    Perhaps this will teach you for only going 70 in the right hand lane. If you want to stick to the speed limit on the motorway, keep in the first two lanes.
    70 is the speed limit. I'm sticking to it.
    Good stuff for sticking to the speed limit but there's something called defensive driving. If you're doing the maximum legal speed and someone wants past and are tail-gating you during an overtake, push on and get the overtake done. A few mph above isn't going to get you a ticket if you only do it for a few seconds in the interest of safety (I would hope, anyway!) I suspect that police would target the prolonged use of speeds higher than the legal limit. Incidentally, if you decide the next time someone tailgates you to slam on the brakes, you'll be at fault as well. The following driver may be driving in an eroded gap but you're breaking for no reason.

I believe that two or more car "accidents" are caused by someone doing something wrong and the other person not seeing or reacting wrongly to the other driver's actions. So take it easy, driving on motorways should be stressfree. Everyone is going the same way, there are opportunities for overtaking so you can get to where you're going faster, there isn't much steering or gear work so you should be making an effort to make effective observations to keep yourself and others safe. If you had made effective rear observations, when you moved out to overtake (assuming you were overtaking - if you weren't you're not in the right road position) you should have been aware of the car coming up behind you, its speed and using that information made a decision whether to wait for them to pass or make the overtake quickly. It's obvious (I hope) which of those is the safer and more legal choice.

ReputationRep:
    these idiots feel comfortable swearing in their cars. outside they're pussys
    Maybe... However, one day you'll start something and an angry big bloke will get out of the car with torque wrench.

My advise is never start anything on the road unless you've got the stones to carry it through. One day someone bigger than you will take an exception and hand you out a beating.

Not saying that this is right... it's just the way of the world!

Play nicely, children.

-JC.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a tool box in my car. Includes a hammer.

someone bigger? thats BS dude
    Aah the internet, where everyone is 6 ft tall and hard as nails :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

So, did you have a good reason to be in the third lane then?

:rolleyes:

My extendable wheel wrench beats your hammer

ReputationRep:
    Haha lame troll is lame.

ReputationRep:

Alrighty then.
    I just hope you never upset anyone that keeps a 2 foot 3/4" drive torque wrench under their passenger seat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Alrighty then.
    I just hope you never upset anyone that keeps a 2 foot 3/4" drive torque wrench under their passenger seat.
    You do? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I've been known to carry a 3/4" drive ratchet with a 60mm socket on the end of it before, in my van. For vehicle repairs, of course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R. Murray)
    You do? :eek:
    I did for a long while as it happens.
    Although, that was partly down to me being too lazy to put the thing back in the garage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    I did for a long while as it happens.
    Although, that was partly down to me being too lazy to put the thing back in the garage.
    It was more "you hope he doesn't piss of anyone who carries a torque wrench???"

But it's all good haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R. Murray)
    It was more "you hope he doesn't piss of anyone who carries a torque wrench???"

But it's all good haha.
    Put it this way... the only reason it isn't there any more is because I was afraid the red mist might come down and it'd get used.
    I'm not about to get myself nicked for an idiot who can't use mirrors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    I'm not about to get myself nicked for an idiot who can't use mirrors.
    OP may like to take note of this, perhaps there are some that don't have that thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Maybe... However, one day you'll start something and an angry big bloke will get out of the car with torque wrench.

My advise is never start anything on the road unless you've got the stones to carry it through. One day someone bigger than you will take an exception and hand you out a beating.

Not saying that this is right... it's just the way of the world!

Play nicely, children.

-JC.
    Genuine Story here:

My dad was driving along a rural single carriageway, 60 limit, at 60 with my mum and a friend in the car (an open top Sunbeam Tiger). A white van pulls up behind them and gets right on the bumper. After a while, my dad pulls over into a laybay to let him pass, but the guy pulls up behind him and gets out of his van. This giant of a man then proceeds to walk over to the car, puts his hands around my dads neck and begins to strangle him. After some screaming from my mum and some fairly futile attempts to get him off from the friend, he just lets go, walks back to his van and leaves.
    Very weird.

Moral of the story is: Don't drive a soft top. Or something. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elementric)
    Genuine Story here:

My dad was driving along a rural single carriageway, 60 limit, at 60 with my mum and a friend in the car (an open top Sunbeam Tiger). A white van pulls up behind them and gets right on the bumper. After a while, my dad pulls over into a laybay to let him pass, but the guy pulls up behind him and gets out of his van. This giant of a man then proceeds to walk over to the car, puts his hands around my dads neck and begins to strangle him. After some screaming from my mum and some fairly futile attempts to get him off from the friend, he just lets go, walks back to his van and leaves.
    Very weird.

Moral of the story is: Don't drive a soft top. Or something. :woo:
    Damn. Why didn't he drive of when the big guy was coming towards him? I suppose he didn't expect him to strangle him but still. I would have just drove off if alone and some monster came towards me.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.