Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Red 'till the day I die :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    Well, you will not be seeing lack of regulation like you did five years ago.

Capitalism has failed the poorest espically children of society. Banking crisis has shown the holes in capitalism. Saying that everything is
    going in the correct direction i.e. banks being nationalised for a start.
    Have you seen attempts at alternatives?

Well, i'll always be a libertarian. When it comes to economics though, your political tastes have to switch to suit your country.

For example, the UK needs more leftism when it comes to the economy.

My home country, India, needs less government intervention because the government is so sickeningly corrupt and "regulation" is another word for "bribery office".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gremlins)
    I certainly hope I stay a lefty. I don't see why, if you've thought it through properly, your view should change in light of you leaving education.

Also, what's with the sudden barrage of vitriol against Lefties atm?
    Its more to do with you getting a family etc and wanting to support them rather than others. The instinct to protect your family is pretty powerful and as irresistible as, say, sexual attraction. I'd imagine we would all really hope to stick to our morals, but i bet most of us don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MazalTov89)
    Red 'till the day I die :yep:
    I suppose the consolation is that you are unlikely to obtain a political office.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelG)
    Have you seen attempts at alternatives?
    Something like Fightclub could work. Using the ideas developed from cognitive psychology and science to construct a better society would be better than capitalism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shalarmay)
    I suppose the consolation is that you are unlikely to obtain a political office.
    You're a hilariously angry person.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone else is thinking the same of you. :o:

ReputationRep:
    Or will your views change when you emerge from your ivory tower, AKA cushy university accommodation and enter the real world?

you're right! You've just converted me, I'm now right wing, and consequently hate all foreigners, employ a team of wealth planners so that I pay zero tax on my millions made from investment banking (misusing other people's money) and park outside of jobcentres in my bling BMW X5 just to annoy the underserving poor...oh, no wait, I think I'll stay on the left actually

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    Everyone else is thinking the same of you. :o:
    That's not my aim, love.

I can't say the same for him.

ReputationRep:
    Something like Fightclub could work. Using the ideas developed from cognitive psychology and science to construct a better society would be better than capitalism.
    http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/lenin.jpg

That's what he said.

ReputationRep:
    Or will your views change when you emerge from your ivory tower, AKA cushy university accommodation and enter the real world?
    Your "real world" isn't going to last forever. Then your parents' money won't get you very far...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punktopia)
    Your "real world" isn't going to last forever. Then your parents' money won't get you very far...
    Haven't you got a juvenile phase to grow out of? Aren't those Che t-shirts getting a bit small for you now?

ReputationRep:
    Um..
    A few things I guess...
    Firstly, you don't really construct societies, its an organic process (though I guess you could argue that revolutions artificially "construct" societies).
    Secondly, you can apply an evolutionary outlook upon the value of society, and conclude that free-market economies are the best as they work the most efficiently. Most attempts to do something different have failed miserably.
    Fight-club underlines the disillusionment of the average man with our consumerist economy. However, the entire process is run on consumerism itself (the funding comes from extortionate soap sales). You could not have a society in which no-one could be arsed to work, and no-one bought anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supercoolfred)
    Um..
    A few things I guess...
    Firstly, you don't really construct societies, its an organic process (though I guess you could argue that revolutions artificially "construct" societies).
    Secondly, you can apply an evolutionary outlook upon the value of society, and conclude that free-market economies are the best as they work the most efficiently. Most attempts to do something different have failed miserably.
    Fight-club underlines the disillusionment of the average man with our consumerist economy. However, the entire process is run on consumerism itself (the funding comes from extortionate soap sales). You could not have a society in which no-one could be arsed to work, and no-one bought anything.
    I think you can construct a society. Obviously by a revolution. Training people in for example CBT, logic and stuff like method of loci would be a good start.

I don't know about that. Free market is to chaotic espically in a global level. Obviously, it would be better to not use game theory to model society.

Obviously, I'm not saying that. But, society itself makes the highest aspirations of people to own stuff, be rich and buy stuff . Yet I think science should be the main focus of society.

For example, JSA. Whats the point of it? The money would be better spent by the Government forcing the person to work in big schemes like for example Nazi Germany or community service. Or maybe have a scheme that makes a person work in a company but the government pays the person JSA for it.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't you got a juvenile phase to grow out of? Aren't those Che t-shirts getting a bit small for you now?
    Wow, that's original, did you use both your braincells thinking that one up?

ReputationRep:
    Lefthanded 'til I die!!

ReputationRep:
    I disagree in both points. Newton is probably the greatest Briton so far. Most of the time Churchill was drunk and your forgetting the fact that military commanders where in reality in control. Plus, Hitler couldn't possibly have won, maybe if he didn't bring in Russia he would have a better chance.

To be fair the way everything is going the Government will own all the banks and basically the economy as the free market system has failed badly.
    newton stole half his theorums

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punktopia)
    Wow, that's original, did you use both your braincells thinking that one up?
    Certainly more than you possess.

ReputationRep:
    Middle lefties, quite often for life

Extreme lefties, usually grow out of it when they stop being angsty teenagers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.