Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Me and a couple of friends are looking to rent a house in London this year (we're first year students but didn't get halls), but I'm quite clueless about this sort of thing! I have a few questions and I didn't really know who to ask so thought I'd come on here.

1. Are landlords/letting agencies allowed to discriminate against us because we're students? Could they refuse to let to us purely because we are students?

2. If yes, are we even obliged to tell them we're students? If not, is there a way they could find out?!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they are allowed to refuse to let to you because you're students. It's annoying. Also, those that do let to students often ask for someone with a job/house to act as a guarantor. They can run a credit check to work out if you're a student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naelse)
    Yes, they are allowed to refuse to let to you because you're students. It's annoying. Also, those that do let to students often ask for someone with a job/house to act as a guarantor. They can run a credit check to work out if you're a student.
    Ah, I thought it wouldn't be as easy as I hoped! They haven't specified if they allow students or not, we've arranged a viewing and they haven't asked us yet. Should I ring them and tell them before we go and view? Or should I wait until they see how mature and responsible we are, then tell them? Haha!

ReputationRep:
    Go to the viewing and then take it from there. You might be lucky..

ReputationRep:
    Just be honest when you turn up, and don't arrive looking like you've just fallen out of a club lol. There are lots of agencies that will say 'no students' - it's probably best to check when you initally call rather than spring it on the agent when you turn up for the viewing, to save wasting your time and annoying the agents.

Also, as naelse says, you will need to be credit checked and referenced to rent a flat. One of the things they check is whether you're employed, and if you're a student you obviously won't be earning enough to cover the rent multiples. Better to be honest and say you're a student because if they discrimiate against students, it's far worse if they think you're unemployed ... Also, you'll probably have to put a deposit down to 'hold' the flat whilst you're being checked, and if you're not honest they won't offer you the flat and you could struggle to get that cash back.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.