Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone had this, I am not sure on which type of cars get it the worst I just know 205s and 306s are bad for it, which I found out today.

So, I was coming up to a small roundabout today, about 6ish, road was empty, wasn't going overly quick. The roundabout is one where it only has 3 exits, and from the side I was approaching from it only had left and straight ahead, so you knew nothing was coming from the right, as there isn't a right.

So I was coming up to the round about, and wanting to go straight over, so I went to steer left then right in order the avoid the middle, as you do. But then realised I was going abit fast, not crazy fast, fine if it was dry but the road was wet. So I went to brake to slow down, then remembered 306s were really bad for lift off over steer and you shouldn't lift off halfway through a turn, which I was, and I lifted off in order to brake. I realised my mistake but it was to late and the back was trying overtake the front.

So in mid pants ******** I floored it while, well, I don't know what I did with the steering wheel, just sort of tried to control it I suppose.

It stopped over steering once I accelerated, and I carried on my way home. Having learnt my lesson.

Anyone had similar? Or know what exactly about a car makes them bad for this, or is it all car, some just worse than others?

ReputationRep:
    typically, rear heavy cars with a rearward centre of gravity suffer more from it, but any car can experience it, in particular front heavy, light backed fwd cars. It generally happens at the limits because the momentum and weight shifts forwards under slowing in a corner. Light pugs in partic the 205 gti can be prone to it when things get a bit meaty..

Steering in the intended direction and feathering the throttle back in can help to counter it if it should happen again, and smooth steering will handle the wiehgt transfer a little better. attack corners slow in fast out to avoid any aggressive transfers.. low gears and high revs makes the engine more sensitive to lift off and decelerate more violently, so a higher gear makes the throttle less sensitive and likely to spin you out should you lift off..

It all depends a little on the engine though, torquier and fly by wire setups will respond differently to lifting off the throttle rapidly.

ReputationRep:
    Yep that's right.
    A boot full of throttle sorts out lift off oversteer.

The difference on FWD cars is rather than turning into the direction of the skid like you would on a RWD car, you point the front wheels where you want the car to go with FWD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cRaig)
    Ahh, good old lift off oversteer. Can be fun under the right circumstances, but when it goes wrong you can be in big trouble.

Generally peugeots of that era suffer from it due to large amounts of front end grip, and firm suspension at the rear, not helped by generally light body shells, so the majority of the weight is as the front. Plus it can be a useful handling characteristic in sportier cars, so is designed into the chassis in preference to understeer.

I got caught out badly in my 205 GTi not that long ago. Lost it on a wet B road, swapped ends, bounced off the hedge on the wrong side of the road and spun again. Bad times.

Still, good job catching it, you should be more prepared next time
    Oh ****! Shame, I always liked your car alot. I would have crash if hadn't read about them being susceptible to it around the internet and from my dad.

I suppose what you said it true, I have never had understeer in my 306, but got it sometimes in the ford focus. I think the older Peugeots are great, (205 and 306) but then things went downhill once the 207, 307 etc came out, they just got less sporty, and more similar to each other.

Is your car fixable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Yep that's right.
    A boot full of throttle sorts out lift off oversteer.

The difference on FWD cars is rather than turning into the direction of the skid like you would on a RWD car, you point the front wheels where you want the car to go with FWD.
    Do RWD cars get lift off oversteer or not? Or is it just regular old oversteer?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillyPilgrim)

Thanks
    rwd cars can suffer with it too, it's just not as easy to induce.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    I suppose if you were giving it some into a bend and came off the throttle, it'd be possible.
    Depends on the car and how it's set up of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cRaig)
    Mm, thanks.
    The 205 is just about fixable, but its not looking like Im going to fix it, as its too much money, and I think I want something safer now lol.

Front engined RWD cars have a similar problem with weight at the front, and rear engined RWD cars like the 911, while have more weight over the back wheels, the momentum can bring the rear end out mid corner.
    Yer I suppose there not that safe, especially considering their weight and size. I was going to get one but the insurance was far too much (for the gti) and the gti was the one I liked the look of. And I wasn't going to go through the shame of putting a gti body kit on a regular 205.

ReputationRep:
    Interestingly my 110 has very good steering characteristics compared to a lot of cars. Perm. four wheel drive helps a lot, as does a very well balanced weight distribution. Pushes out if you overcook the entry but if you back off the throttle and keep the steering balanced it's very controllable. If you get the gear wrong you can shift down mid corner even at quite high speeds without any over or under steer

ReputationRep:
    I had a 306 GTi-6, and whilst it's handling was simply second to none, if accelerating hard from a standing start, meeting central barrier was a big possibility, especially in the wet. The fact that you're on full throttle won't exactly benefit stabilising the car!

The great thing about FWD was being able to shift down gears mid-corner without fear of tail-ending like RWD.

RWD are more notable for it! Just look on You Tube for Elise crash, or s2000 crash on track, and it will most likely be driver error (unless it's wet and it's given way). RWD cars are driven from the rear with the weight from the rear; downshifting or braking is asking for snap-oversteer. You have to maintain gear and throttle placement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Né Stig)
    I had a 306 GTi-6, and whilst it's handling was simply second to none, if accelerating hard from a standing start, meeting central barrier was a big possibility, especially in the wet. The fact that you're on full throttle won't exactly benefit stabilising the car!

The great thing about FWD was being able to shift down gears mid-corner without fear of tail-ending like RWD.

RWD are more notable for it! Just look on You Tube for Elise crash, or s2000 crash on track, and it will most likely be driver error (unless it's wet and it's given way). RWD cars are driven from the rear with the weight from the rear; downshifting or braking is asking for snap-oversteer. You have to maintain gear and throttle placement.
    A gti-6 is a car that I would really like, they look just like a normal 306 but are really quick. My 306 is essentially the same as a gti-6 (appearance wise) apart from the engine and gear box and slightly small front brakes. Mine is the 2l HDI.

Why did you get rid of your gti-6?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Interestingly my 110 has very good steering characteristics compared to a lot of cars. Perm. four wheel drive helps a lot, as does a very well balanced weight distribution. Pushes out if you overcook the entry but if you back off the throttle and keep the steering balanced it's very controllable. If you get the gear wrong you can shift down mid corner even at quite high speeds without any over or under steer
    I agree. You can do really quite stupid things with most Land Rovers and it's easy as pie to recover. Lots of warning that you're about to lose traction as well.

I went out for a blast across the wet fields earlier in my Rangie, and got some decent enough four wheel drifts going. When you decide the front end is getting a little too close to the hedge for comfort, just come straight off the throttle and the back will turn in a little. If you're still heading for that hedge, just mash the brake with the left foot and the front turns in instantly.

Everyone should screw about in fields if they get the chance. It's fun, teaches you about the car and it's sort of like a cheap skid-pan day.

ReputationRep:
    A gti-6 is a car that I would really like, they look just like a normal 306 but are really quick. My 306 is essentially the same as a gti-6 (appearance wise) apart from the engine and gear box and slightly small front brakes. Mine is the 2l HDI.

Why did you get rid of your gti-6?
    The HDi do indeed look the same. Mine was Moonstone as well, which yours probably is as well.

There were few tell-tale signs. Noise, disks, badge (if applicable), ally gearshift, glove box and dash. Most nowadays have reverted to the 3-4" tail end as well, which is a pretty sure bet.

I think I sold it at a time when too many chavs got their hands on one and started pimping them with ridiculous mods. I had more problems than Jacko's doctor: HG failure, Big-end failure, cambelt, coils, cylinder and valve tapping, exhaust problems, electrical - you name it. The old adage is so true of this car: "if it ain't broke, it's not a GTi-6".

ReputationRep:
    ive had lift off oversteer a few times in my 106, once was on a wet road late at night, simple fact of me driving a bit too quickly for the conditions, the other time was in the bone dry boiling heat on a back road having a bit of a afternoon blast coming back from a friends, easy to catch, bootfull of throttle and counter steer, feels un-natural to me giving it the beans when the rear snaps out, my natural reaction is to feather the throttle and apply counter steer like you would in a rear driver, Pug's are known for lift off oversteer, a friend totalled a 306 when the rear got all wobbly, unfortunately he went straight off the road and into a tree, thankfully he was ok though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 22, 2009
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.