Turn on thread page Beta

Will I be treated differently for being overweight? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

So I'm an American, going to the University of Leeds for my Junior Year Abroad. This summer I committed myself to losing weight and becoming healthier. I've lost 21 lbs (9.5 kilo) so far, but I still have a lot to go.

I guess I'm worried about how overweight people are treated and thought of in the UK. In America, especially Texas (where I'm from) it is much more common to see overweight people. Obesity is unfortunately correctly identified as being very "American." But I'm working on my weight and plan to eat right and exercise during the school year.

Any thoughts? Reassurances? Warnings?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    No, there are a lot of fatties in the UK as well. Same issues that surround it in the USA will surround it here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catemcginn)
    Hey,

So I'm an American, going to the University of Leeds for my Junior Year Abroad. This summer I committed myself to losing weight and becoming healthier. I've lost 21 lbs (9.5 kilo) so far, but I still have a lot to go.

I guess I'm worried about how overweight people are treated and thought of in the UK. In America, especially Texas (where I'm from) it is much more common to see overweight people. Obesity is unfortunately correctly identified as being very "American." But I'm working on my weight and plan to eat right and exercise during the school year.

Any thoughts? Reassurances? Warnings?

Thanks
    Don't worry too much about it, but I would say it's always beneficial to have thick skin.

Where are you from, fatty?

ReputationRep:
    Near Dallas, TX

But I go to school in New York City. Which helps immensely in keeping active.

ReputationRep:
    Typical yank. Greed killed you, greed killed your economy.

ReputationRep:
    yes, you will be called fatty fatty fat fat

ReputationRep:
    Near Dallas, TX

Ugh... dallas; sorry to hear that. I hail from H-Town and Austin.

Well, Texas is still Texas so I won't hold it against you too much.

ReputationRep:
    It's uni. I doubt any one is going to be that childish.

ReputationRep:
    damn girl

look like you put the ass in tex-ass

ReputationRep:
    Near Dallas, TX

No ****... do you walk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    No ****... do you walk?
    I guaran-damn-tee she didn't ******* walk in Texas. We don't even have sidewalks/pavements there.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you will every fat person is treated differently, welcome to real life... but then again, black people, Asian people and treated different too.

Then there's some people who treat everyone as equals

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, first impressions often mean a lot. In my experience in the UK, students tend not to be hugely fat. Sure, there are some that let themselves go - but few are obese

ReputationRep:
    Why is this crap in the fitness section?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I guaran-damn-tee she didn't ******* walk in Texas. We don't even have sidewalks/pavements there.
    Well I think if she walked (maybe even jogged) to and from school she would lose a lot of weight :yep:

ReputationRep:
    how fat are you exactly?

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine don't worry : )

Good luck with the weight loss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_alerts)
    Why is this crap in the fitness section?
    Good damn point. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Hey Cate,

I'm also American and going to Uni in the UK (for my Masters). I totally feel ya when it comes to worrying about the standards they might hold in the looks/weight department. Just try to keep healthy and ignore stupid comments.

And damn, I spent the weekend in NYC...I couldn't believe how many hours of walking we did!! And the night life was amazing! Fantastic place to get fit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Where on earth do you get those sig images from?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.