Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will I be treated differently for being overweight? Watch

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Nobody worth associating with will care how much you weigh.
    *Most* people at uni tend to be fairly mature about things like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icn06)
    Where on earth do you get those sig images from?
    You can't have'em fatty, they're from my kitchen.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks icn06 and Lrilol!

I've committed to make a lifestyle change which includes fitness. I've started looking and feeling better, and I am hoping that people will get to know me before they judge me. Because I've gotten stronger and healthier in the past three months and will continue to until I reach my goal weight. I am nervous that people will judge me before they know the lengths I've come to get even that far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)

Thanks, you're a real sweet heart.

ReputationRep:
    No one takes my burgers.

ReputationRep:
    meh theres loads of fat people in the uk, probably just as many as americans. i would say quite a large percentage of teenage girls are overweight, but maybe not reallly really huge...
    if you are really big you may get a few comments, usually from teenage boys, but i would say you would get the same in usa?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    No one takes my burgers.
    Your current sig is the most tasty thing I've ever seen (unlike the scary donut burger before).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gone Revising)
    Your current sig is the most tasty thing I've ever seen (unlike the scary donut burger before).
    I alternate between good and bad. Bad's next.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be surprised how accepting people are, especially at university which is naturally diverse.
    Just... try not to be a walking stereotype :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm 9 stone 10 and I feel fat when I'm in leeds...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catemcginn)
    I've committed to make a lifestyle change which includes fitness. I've started looking and feeling better, and I am hoping that people will get to know me before they judge me. Because I've gotten stronger and healthier in the past three months and will continue to until I reach my goal weight. I am nervous that people will judge me before they know the lengths I've come to get even that far.
    To be fair though, people also don't know the lengths you went to to get to that size in the first place. If people judge that you're fat, and that you did overeat and not exercise at some point, then they wouldn't be wrong. I am never sure what overweight people mean when they accuse others of being "judgemental".

I have found (certainly at Oxford) that there are so so so few obese/clearly overweight people at university. Others have noted this as well. So you may stand out a bit.

And good for you - hope it all works out.

ReputationRep:
    There is only one clearly overweight guy in my year; his name is Shah I think.

When asked, "How much do you weigh?"

Without even skipping a beat he replied, "Exactly 1 Shah."

Classic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Is deep fried coca cola actually a real thing=/ sounds ******* disgusting.

And yes OP, everyone in the UK hates Americans, especially fat ones. Better prepare yourself for our evil English abuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren__x)
    Is deep fried coca cola actually a real thing=/ sounds ******* disgusting.
    Sounds good to me. :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fried_Coke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catemcginn)
    Hey,

So I'm an American, going to the University of Leeds for my Junior Year Abroad. This summer I committed myself to losing weight and becoming healthier. I've lost 21 lbs (9.5 kilo) so far, but I still have a lot to go.

I guess I'm worried about how overweight people are treated and thought of in the UK. In America, especially Texas (where I'm from) it is much more common to see overweight people. Obesity is unfortunately correctly identified as being very "American." But I'm working on my weight and plan to eat right and exercise during the school year.

Any thoughts? Reassurances? Warnings?

Thanks
    You will be fine, just ensure the is adequate padding on the pavement for your amorphous frame to trample upon, possibly ringing ahead to the water, electricity and gas boards to make sure the gigantic treamors from your gargantuan frame do not disrup local power much akin to godzilla rampaging through Tokyo.

It would also be wise to ensure the local food venues do not start baking at particular times diverting your attention from the massive effort of moving towards a place of learning by swaying your judgement with thier siren like smells driving your swollen stomach and overused tasebuds crazy with desire causing rumblins much like a lions roar...through a megaphone.

ReputationRep:
    Keep going at it, losing 21lbs is a great achievement!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Sounds good to me. :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fried_Coke
    Actually that description makes it sound pretty gooddd, Id never eat anything with that many calories though [OP, take note:yes: ].

ReputationRep:
    You might get a bit of stick about it but at least you're doing something to lose the weight now. there's nothing worse than people complaining about being fat but aren't doing anything to lose the weight! so well done for that!

ReputationRep:
    Can we get this moved from fitness to H&R. It's not exactly looking for advice.

ReputationRep:
    well how fat are you? if you're just overweight then i doubt you'll face too much prejudice.. but on the other hand if you're morbidly obese you'll probably get abuse of some sort.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.