Turn on thread page Beta

Is Wednesday 'sports day' at university? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok, forgive me for being thick, but am I or am I not right in thinking that possibly Wednesday is a designated 'sports' day for uni students when they have no lessons timetabled in, so they can do sports instead/ studying? I've found that a lot of university sports clubs seem to run during the day on Wednesdays.
    Any info would be much appreciated :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Generally yes. Though it's just the afternoons.
    However, it also depends on the degree. The more time intensive degrees will probably not have Wednesday afternoons off.

ReputationRep:
    Yey! I was worried I might not be able to join some sports clubs. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    yeah most degrees seem to have wednesday afternoons off for sports

ReputationRep:
    It's the same for sixth forms isn't it? But, yeah, Wednesday afternoons.

ReputationRep:
    My school had Wednesday afternoon off for 5th and 6th years...well I say off, you were meant to do a 'Personal and Social Development' activity but for most of us that meant bumming about.

ReputationRep:
    afternoons mainly, when you play all your BUCS games

depends on your degree, you may still have lectures in the morning, and depends on your department and if they care about you playing a sport or not as some view it as a waste of time so timetable lectures and classes on Wednesday afternoon

ReputationRep:
    what happens to all the people that don't like sport?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priceless_beauty)
    what happens to all the people that don't like sport?
    they have to sit still and be quite until 5 and then your allowed to do what you want. :P

ReputationRep:
    It really depends, there are so many hours in the day and some departments have no other option but to timetable classes/labs/tutorials for Wednesday afternoons. If you are dead set on joining a sports club that has activities on Wednesdays (not all do) then you might be able to swap labs or tutorials, but lectures you'll probably just have to miss.

ReputationRep:
    Wednesday afternoons are for sports (societies) and at Trent there's usually other societies meeting up in the afternoons...which can make it hard to choose just one! Even at college we had free Wed afternoons to do whatever you wanted.

ReputationRep:
    for the universit of london universities yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOneWho)
    It really depends, there are so many hours in the day and some departments have no other option but to timetable classes/labs/tutorials for Wednesday afternoons. If you are dead set on joining a sports club that has activities on Wednesdays (not all do) then you might be able to swap labs or tutorials, but lectures you'll probably just have to miss.
    At least at Lancaster I don't believe there's ever a case where someone can't arrange their timetable to leave wednesday afternoon completely free. I think it's probabily the same at most places, but will leave you very busy on other days in some cases!

ReputationRep:
    I seem to think this is the case, but am almost sure that it is only Wednesday afternoons at my university.

University of Hull

ReputationRep:
    At Birmingham it is for all programs in the afternoon (I think). The lecturers like the time off!

ReputationRep:
    i'm pretty sure that everyone here has Wednesday afternoons off, not sure hhow many use it for sports though..usually a good shopping opportunity.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.