Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    Which would be very odd if he had a general proof.
    Well. It would be very odd if he had our general proof. That's not to say he didn't have one at all. (Not that I believe he did...)

(Original post by generalebriety)
    Well. It would be very odd if he had our general proof. That's not to say he didn't have one at all. (Not that I believe he did...)
    Well, no, it would be odd if he had any kind of valid proof - particularly a "truly marvelous one".

It would be like me saying "I have a proof of the Riemann Hypothesis", and then 10 years later posting a 20 page paper showing "At most 1% of zeroes of the Zeta function lie of the critical line". At that point you'd be thinking "Yeah, so? Bit of an anticlimax when you say you've proved all zeroes lie on the critical line".

When you also factor in that the claim is one "off the cuff" comment in the margin of a notebook, and there's evidence that he since put in serious amounts of effort proving special cases, the most likely explanation is "he thought he had a proof, he realised he was wrong, and because it was just a note in the margin of a book, he never bothered to go back and say 'actually, I didn't have a proof after all'."

[Of course, we're arguing human nature rather than mathematics at this point].

it also demonstrates how incredibly good those three contestants who solved it in the exam hall are at the form of maths that they do.
How are you feeling about your exams?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.