Turn on thread page Beta

Do I need a student account? / How can I cancel my student account? watch

ReputationRep:
    I recently signed up to Natwest and basically they're already being *****. I've had various problems already, and that's just to physically obtain my debit card, nevermind actually trying to sort anything else.

I want to close the account and keep going with my regular bank. Is there any reason I need a student account? I have a lot of savings so won't need the interest free overdraft.

Also, I applied for the free railcard about a week ago. I accept that I'll probably have to sacrifice this since I won't be using the student account, but how do I go about telling NatWest this? And what do I do, just return the card when it arrives or do I have to speed up and tell them before it actually arrives?

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing that says you specifically need a student account to go to uni; if you want to close it then you can go into a branch or write them a letter saying you'd like to do so. I don't know whether you'd need to return the card or not.

ReputationRep:
    However, most student accounts offer interest free overdrafts some offering quite large limits. So if you need to borrow money, this is the best way. However if you are good with money and don't think you will need an overdraft then you don't really need a student account, other than for any freebies they may give away :P

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 21, 2009
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.