Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do any universities specify the need for a GCSE Modern Language anymore? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Looks like this specification has really dropped recently - many unis have dropped the need for a GCSE Language!
    Apparently this is due to the dropping amount of Language GCSE candidates in state schools.
    So my question is, does any university still bark out the need for one?

ReputationRep:
    I think Edinburgh might... not sure, though. It's probably still preferred for a prospective student to have a GCSE in a language, even if it isn't required. But I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    I hope not.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure I know someone who was asked for one for Law, likely at Edinburgh. As she hadn't sat the equivilent exams (she had moved over from Ireland before she had the chance to sit) I think they let her off.

ReputationRep:
    Most would strongly prefer one, but I'm not sure that Oxbridge insist upon an applicant having one. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I have no GCSE Modern Language. And 4 of my options are at top 20 unis. For English. Yikes.
    Foolish?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-Man!)
    I have no GCSE Modern Language. And 4 of my options are at top 20 unis. For English. Yikes.
    Foolish?
    Not a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-Man!)
    Foolish?
    Depends on the university. For York and UCL at least, it will be a problem.

edit: this is for English Q300, not in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    Not a problem.
    Thanks I guess!
    The hypnotic qualities of your sig reinforced your statement.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I know UCL are reintroducing it for 2012 entry, or a short course in a language if you don't have one.

ReputationRep:
    And just to stir in some debate, I think more unis should ask for it. Modern Languages seem to be becoming undervalued nowadays and they need to be given more emphasis.

ReputationRep:
    No one cares. I have none.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    Most would strongly prefer one, but I'm not sure that Oxbridge insist upon an applicant having one. :yes:
    No. Most universities don't even care all that much about GCSEs (except for a few really competitive courses), let alone a 'strongly prefer' a language GCSE. Cambridge took away their requirement for a GCSE language for 2009 entry onwards. No idea about Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollo)
    And just to stir in some debate, I think more unis should ask for it. Modern Languages seem to be becoming undervalued nowadays and they need to be given more emphasis.
    I agree. They also cross over with a few other subjects, notably arts. My A2 French and Spanish have really helped with my English Lit and vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollo)
    There's nothing here to debate. A modern foreign language is no use for most degrees. If you want to pick up language skills, you can do that at university. There's no reason to penalize people who chose not to or did not have the opportunity to take a modern language at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh make a big deal about it...not sure about others.

ReputationRep:
    Any Irish uni, shouldn't really be an issue for you though. I agree, I think you should have to prove you're a good all-rounder for university. Irish students must present Irish, English, Maths and another language for some unis, others require either Irish or the other language and Emglish and Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollo)
    Hmm - as a Year 9 - just think back to how stupid you were/I was in Year 9 - making options isnt an informed decision based on uni/aspirations in Year 9: for me, it was an opportunity to be with my best mates...

ReputationRep:
    The majority of the ones I'm looking at (for Anthropology) want a GCSE modern language, science and english, so yes, but I don't know about other subjects. But it's no where near the majority of all universities so if you don't want to do one it's not going to hinder you as much as teachers make out.

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh requires you to have one to be considered for a place in degree programmes in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences. In sciences they don't ask for it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.