Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As interviewers like to ask topical questions, I imagine the 2010 entries will get a lot of questions about swine flu. What do you think they would ask and how would you answer?

ReputationRep:
    Do you have Swine flu?

Don't say yes, they might ask you to leave.

ReputationRep:
    i was thinking about this the other day... i reckon theyll ask things like how we can prevent it spreading and how the nhs will cope with it etc.

ReputationRep:
    U cannot stop it now, the government needs to make people aware ' not to goto the doctors' ring the nhs advice line and get further instructions, as the medicine has to be picked up at a pick up point.

Im not sure how else to stop the spread, but i do know that swine flu although bad, still has a very low mortality rate. The media has made a massive issue, they should apply positive steps instead of spreading fear.

ReputationRep:
    I just love threads about swine flu. It's not like everyone isn't talking about it. Everywhere. All the time. Rant, rant, rant. Bad thread.

ReputationRep:
    Research Swine flu (causes, symptoms, treatment) etc.

They'll probs ask us that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    Do you have Swine flu?

Don't say yes, they might ask you to leave.
    King's unconditional :awesome:

Do you mind me asking what your UKCAT was and your number of A* GCSEs?:o:

ReputationRep:
    start cutting relevent articles out of newspapers and putting them into a file.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)

It is a bit :awesome: tbh

I don't mind, I got 5A*s, and a UKCAT ave. of 660. But then I already have my A-levels, hence the unconditional, so that may not be of huge use to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)

Profiles thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mushi_master)
    It is a bit :awesome: tbh

I don't mind, I got 5A*s, and a UKCAT ave. of 660. But then I already have my A-levels, hence the unconditional, so that may not be of huge use to you.
    true say. :|
    Congrats anyway

ReputationRep:
    maybe about opening this helpline thing they're starting? Giving temps and students the ability to prescribe tamiflu (even if there are medical professionals there..) and being able to get tamiflu online etc...
    Yes, it relieves the strain from GPs, but it would be so easy for over-worrying people just to make up symptoms, and get access to tamiflu...Increased unnecessary use is surely going to increase the chances of a tamiflu-resistant strain of swine flu - which is pretty dangerous really...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah182)
    Giving temps and students the ability to prescribe tamiflu (even if there are medical professionals there..) and being able to get tamiflu online etc...
    I would strongly advise you not to suggest anything like this, and not for worry of creating resistance.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think about swine flu parties?

ReputationRep:
    Where has H1N1 (proper name ) come from?
    Explain to me, as a lay person, the risks of a.) contracting and b.) dying from swine flu.
    How effective would a vaccination programme be? How do vaccines work etc.

What do you know about seasonal winter flu and which groups are likely to be most affected by it?

Giving temps and students the ability to prescribe tamiflu (even if there are medical professionals there..)
    Que??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spencer Wells)
    I would strongly advise you not to suggest anything like this, and not for worry of creating resistance.
    erm..why?

(Original post by digitalis)
    Que??
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ted--when.html

it says the call centres will be staffed by students and temps...

ReputationRep:
    erm..why?
    Because Tamiflu is a really crap drug that doesn't work but has some dangerous side effects and is prescription only for a reason. To circumvent this and allow someone who is untrained to prescribe opens them up to enormous liability and the "patients" (who are going to be mostly worried well) to taking an unnecessary and potentially harmful medication.

Additionally I think the idea of the call centre is a terrible one, even more so because it is staffed my people without medical training. Say I phone up because my daughter, who's been at nursery where one of the other kids had suspected swine flu, has developed a cough and fever. I'm given a tamiflu voucher for her. She dies the next day of meningococcal sepsis. Who carries the liability. Is there a case for malpractice? Can an untrained temp answering the telephone "practice" to be accused of malpractice? Can this untrained temp accurately rule out serious illness over the telephone? (can they ******** - it's hard enough with a medical degree, membership and having the patient in front of you). It is dangerous, ill thought through and it might cost lives (I have similar concerns with NHS direct, it being very difficult to rule out anything, though they seem to over-refer).

ReputationRep:
    maybe about opening this helpline thing they're starting? Giving temps and students the ability to prescribe tamiflu (even if there are medical professionals there..) and being able to get tamiflu online etc...
    Yes, it relieves the strain from GPs, but it would be so easy for over-worrying people just to make up symptoms, and get access to tamiflu...Increased unnecessary use is surely going to increase the chances of a tamiflu-resistant strain of swine flu - which is pretty dangerous really...
    Palm-Face

May be know what Tamiflu actually does and how it does it etc before suggesting bankrupting the NHS on a whim...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spencer Wells)
    Because Tamiflu is a really crap drug that doesn't work but has some dangerous side effects and is prescription only for a reason. To circumvent this and allow someone who is untrained to prescribe opens them up to enormous liability and the "patients" (who are going to be mostly worried well) to taking an unnecessary and potentially harmful medication.

Additionally I think the idea of the call centre is a terrible one, even more so because it is staffed my people without medical training. Say I phone up because my daughter, who's been at nursery where one of the other kids had suspected swine flu, has developed a cough and fever. I'm given a tamiflu voucher for her. She dies the next day of meningococcal sepsis. Who carries the liability. Is there a case for malpractice? Can an untrained temp answering the telephone "practice" to be accused of malpractice? Can this untrained temp accurately rule out serious illness over the telephone? (can they ******** - it's hard enough with a medical degree, membership and having the patient in front of you). It is dangerous, ill thought through and it might cost lives (I have similar concerns with NHS direct, it being very difficult to rule out anything, though they seem to over-refer).
    Perfectly said!

ReputationRep:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ted--when.html

it says the call centres will be staffed by students and temps...
    Why am I not surprised that that's a Daily Hate Mail article... Only in Broken Britain (:p: :rolleyes: )!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.