Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you have respect for the police? Watch

• View Poll Results: do you respect the police?
    yes
    64.86%
    no
    35.14%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Altruistic1)
    As a public service organisation: No.

The police must do a great job on the whole and I appreciate that, but I can't "respect" them because unless they're 100% just then they're corrupt. Considering the policemen I've met in my life have only ever come across as unempathetic, power-hungry morons and the fact that you have articles in the tabloids everyday about policemen abusing their power, I'd have to go with the latter. :yes:
    The people who print the tabloids are more full of sh*t than the cops themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reaver)
    The people who print the tabloids are more full of sh*t than the cops themselves.
    Well I agree on that one lol, but in regards to the stories: a majority are confirmed by police-governing bodies or w/e, especially the more serious ones which are what we hate about the police. Take the recent event of policemen beating up protesters, for example. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    yes they do a good job as a whole but they don't do enough sometimes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    No, it's down to the police, who tend to be pretty lazy and quite racist. For example, it's not uncommon for an emergency "I'm getting mugged" "my house is being robbed" type call to elicit a response of 30~ minutes from the local police if you have an ethnic accent and live in an ethnic area.

Not only that, the police themselves are uninterested in finding criminals unless you're some big shot company.

Have you ever lived outside the UK? And even if not, where HAVE you lived in the UK?
    If you've got anything more than biased anecdotal evidence for your first point, I'll eat my hat.

I don't see how my experience of life in the UK or outside it could offer much more than - again - biased anecdotal evidence. I'm not churlish enough to believe that the UK (and every other country) doesn't have areas where crime is more or less prevalent.

(Original post by Chumbaniya)
    If you've got anything more than biased anecdotal evidence for your first point, I'll eat my hat.

I don't see how my experience of life in the UK or outside it could offer much more than - again - biased anecdotal evidence. I'm not churlish enough to believe that the UK (and every other country) doesn't have areas where crime is more or less prevalent.
    http://www.justiceinitiative.org/db/...?res_id=104248
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1329463.stm

I want a youtube link with an actual hat.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. I get constant **** from pigs that think they know the laws around hitchhiking. I have to correct them and get messed about, hasseld and practically interogated before I am allowed on my way. If I quote my rights and laws I simply get them mad and they go really slowly with everything.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.justiceinitiative.org/db/...?res_id=104248
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1329463.stm

I want a youtube link with an actual hat.
    The first link talks about ethnic profiling in policing (the issue at hand - rather ironically - being that ethnic minorities receive too much rather than too little attention from the police) and unless it is a minor point in the report which is not covered in the blurb then there is no mention of ethnic minorities who are victims of crime being ignored by the police. Ethnic profiling for the purposes of searches/surveillance is a different issue.

The second link doesn't even mention race.

You can't just post links to related topics and expect to convince me - I am capable of reading, you know.

ReputationRep:
    No, never given me anything but trouble and are completely useless. For example a fight between two rival chav groups broke out at about 9pm - the police eventually turned up an hour after they had been called.
    At the same time a few weeks later I was chased by two police cars after cycling away from one officer on foot after he told me to stop.

The first link talks about ethnic profiling in policing (the issue at hand - rather ironically - being that ethnic minorities receive too much rather than too little attention from the police) and unless it is a minor point in the report which is not covered in the blurb then there is no mention of ethnic minorities who are victims of crime being ignored by the police. Ethnic profiling for the purposes of searches/surveillance is a different issue.

The second link doesn't even mention race.

You can't just post links to related topics and expect to convince me - I am capable of reading, you know.
    As a young white cambridge educated male who has never encountered racial discrimination from anybody, let alone the police, you will refuse to see my point of view no matter how much i throw at you.

So i'm going to desist.

ReputationRep:
    As a young white cambridge educated male who has never encountered racial discrimination from anybody, let alone the police, you will refuse to see my point of view no matter how much i throw at you.

So i'm going to desist.
    As we all know, it's the sign of a great debator to discount his interlocutor on the grounds of his upbringing instead of tackling the points he makes.

Personally, I'm quite happy to discuss a point as long as the arguments are about the issue, but if you want to throw 'posh white boy doesn't know what he's talking about' arguments at me I don't really have any interest.

Of course now that you've declared the argument moot (and presumably decided in your head that you're the winner) this isn't of much relevance, but it may interest you to know that I went to a large state sixth form college with over 1000 people in each year, 50% of whom are ethnic minorities and many of whom live in inner city birmingham. I say this not because I feel I gain credibility from it - I am quite happy to have discussions without bringing irrelevant details into them - but because I presume you have me stereotyped as having a whiter-than-white background in public schools with few ethnic minority students (and those students coming from affluent backgrounds).

As we all know, it's the sign of a great debator to discount his interlocutor on the grounds of his upbringing instead of tackling the points he makes.

Personally, I'm quite happy to discuss a point as long as the arguments are about the issue, but if you want to throw 'posh white boy doesn't know what he's talking about' arguments at me I don't really have any interest.

Of course now that you've declared the argument moot (and presumably decided in your head that you're the winner) this isn't of much relevance, but it may interest you to know that I went to a large state sixth form college with over 1000 people in each year, 50% of whom are ethnic minorities and many of whom live in inner city birmingham. I say this not because I feel I gain credibility from it - I am quite happy to have discussions without bringing irrelevant details into them - but because I presume you have me stereotyped as having a whiter-than-white background in public schools with few ethnic minority students (and those students coming from affluent backgrounds).
    Alright i apologize for stereotyping you, but that doesn't change the fact that as a white person you don't know what racial discrimination is.

The police, as an organization, is inherently racist. It is usually made up of people who couldn't really find good employment in the private sector or better jobs in the government sector and as such the people who go there aren't expected to be intellectual (adequately intelligent / not stupid). As such you can't expect the people who apply to be especially socially enlightened, and while they are coached against being racist obviously, their behaviour sometimes reflects their basic beliefs.

And yes, anecdotes are enough to prevent that what i describe DOES happen. I've heard of countless people living in rough areas complaining of useless policing and ineffective punishment.

http://www.soros.org/resources/artic...al_justice.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Alright i apologize for stereotyping you, but that doesn't change the fact that as a white person you don't know what racial discrimination is.
    I'm sorry, what? This is your apology - telling me I'm incapable of even comprehending the subject matter because of my skin colour? You do realise that racism can be and is directed towards whites in some cases?

Maybe you'll go back on it when you declare the discussion over, but I won't. I'm not going to continue trying to argue a point with someone who throws absurd stereotypes and even when acknowledging them and apologising insists that because I don't personally suffer from something I can't understand it.

I'm sorry, what? This is your apology - telling me I'm incapable of even comprehending the subject matter because of my skin colour? You do realise that racism can be and is directed towards whites in some cases?

Maybe you'll go back on it when you declare the discussion over, but I won't. I'm not going to continue trying to argue a point with someone who throws absurd stereotypes and even when acknowledging them and apologising insists that because I don't personally suffer from something I can't understand it.
    Right, i should've said "you don't know what it feels like to be racially discriminated against", rather than "You don't know what racial discrimination is". Ofcourse you know

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.