Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anime Soc Chat: Ignoring crazed lolis since 2006! Watch

• CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Truered)
    I can remember I always was quick to show my parents my report as it was usually good- I remember them saying how they'd never be willing to show theirs to their parents :mmm:
    My parents have always been very open-minded about grading. Sure, they would want us (my brothers included) to achieve during school, but they wouldn't instill fear or act upset if we didn't do well. Luckily, all of us have been reasonably "competent" at school, so it's difficult to say how they would have responded if we did terribly. I just never received that vibe from them, which is quite the contrast from the typical Japanese family.

I was never a socially active person, and the thought of "bunking" filled me with fear- not so much the thought of missing a lesson as being punished/making someone disappointed :o:
    I suppose I've always been an "outside-thinker", in the sense that I regarded school to be nothing more than a lawful obligation. I didn't find that I benefited from how the classes were conducted, with its mass-herd approach to teaching, and had already researched online what was required of me. I just felt that school was boring. It didn't help that my school was situated in the center of Tokyo, so bunking off to do some shopping was an attractive prospect. There were quite a few of us that would all do it. The school was obviously concerned and contacted our parents. Fortunately, both my parents were unavailable during the day. Inevitably, after a while, they were eventually contacted and meetings would often take place. This didn't really help to change the situation, though. I argued that I was still performing well academically, which is the primary aim. I didn't find the classes particularly beneficial, underlining the reasons, and felt that by attending such classes would actually be detrimental to my performance. Of course, they didn't really take me seriously, but they also couldn't deny that my grading was more than reasonable. In the end, they gave up on me.

However my revision usually consisted of cramming the week before the exam. I remember for A-levels (I think) I came home during a two hour break between lessons (I was a ten minute walk away). I had a quick read of the textbook and spent the rest of the time watching South Park :mmm:
    (Original post by caraniel)
    I favoured cramming as well - worked for me :dontknow:

I never bunked though - wouldnt be worth my life......nuns are fecking scary :afraid:
    We definitely have/had similar techniques to revision. :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    :hahaha:

edit: What would their opinions be on yaoi? :mmm:
    :hmmm:schools run by nuns are yuri breeding grounds:yes:

:wavey:hi everyone

while I was out I got a phone call and sat down on a nearby bench and was talking, then a cute little dog started crawling around my legs then jumped up onto me between my legs with this face:puppyeyes:, then its owner said come on and it just jumped off:s:

ReputationRep:

This appeared when I refreshed the page. Was going to ask what impact the 14 years had on you with regards to religion :mmm:
    Yeah - that kind of environment where religion is kind of shoved down your throat, either makes you rather religious or quite anti-establishment ......I went from being very religious during Primary school (I went to Mass before school and did readings/sang quite alot), to rejecting all forms of organised religion by the time I turned 16/7 :s:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    :hahaha:

However I noticed something

While not quite the same, for one or two modules this year I managed to get a middle 2.1 (what I was aiming for) despite only going to one or two lectures. I read them online of course, but I basically taught them to myself over the Easter break :redface:
    Much of what we learn during school can be self-taught with enough diligence and intelligence on our part. I always found that one hour of solid research on my own contributed to an entire week of classes at school, where the teacher would drone on about each and every aspect for way too long, whilst stopping to tell some student off for some reason or another. It was counterproductive, really. :sadnod:

You can laugh, but you never experienced 14 years of all-girls Catholic education :no: I'm telling you nuns are probably the most vicious and scary humans on the face of the planet :afraid: I'm sure they would have a coronary if they were ever presented with 'yaoi' :mmm:

My religion teachers generally considered me to be the anti-christ anyway, since I was going through my conversion to atheism during my GSCEs and as such was constantly bringing up inconsistencies in the bible and generally being an irritating brat :awesome:
    Japanese people are fascinated by anything to do with nuns, simply because no such schools really exist over there. Or at least, not that I knew of. :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matisse)
    Much of what we learn during school can be self-taught with enough diligence and intelligence on our part. I always found that one hour of solid research on my own contributed to an entire week of classes at school, where the teacher would drone on about each and every aspect for way too long, whilst stopping to tell some student off for some reason or another. It was counterproductive, really. :sadnod:

Japanese people are fascinated by anything to do with nuns, simply because no such schools really exist over there. Or at least, not that I knew of. :giggle:
    yuri doesnt lie:mad:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by vin)
    yuri doesnt lie:mad:
    Poor Vin-kin. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    I still remain convinced that Irish Catholic nuns are the scariest creatures in the world......did you know they can walk without making a sound!? I swear they hover around the corridors and have an inbuilt homing devise for make-up/nail-varnish/jewellry/mobile phones :zomg:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by vin)
    while I was out I got a phone call and sat down on a nearby bench and was talking, then a cute little dog started crawling around my legs then jumped up onto me between my legs with this face:puppyeyes:, then its owner said come on and it just jumped off:s:
    This is what Vin-kin does to me. :emog:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I still remain convinced that Irish Catholic nuns are the scariest creatures in the world......did you know they can walk without making a sound!? I swear they hover around the corridors and have an inbuilt homing devise for make-up/nail-varnish/jewellry/mobile phones :zomg:
    I remember you saying this before. Maybe they're actually aliens... I bet you never thought of that. I'm sure you have. :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    They're certainly not normal humans thats for sure :sadnod:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    [scrollup]:itsme:[/scrollup]

ReputationRep:
    They're certainly not normal humans thats for sure :sadnod:
    your just bitter because they didnt let your lesbianism flourish:console:

now nuns in yuri would have encouraged that:yes:

ReputationRep:

Was it anything like Maria holic? :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    oh you used scroll up, no wonder your post looked like this :wtf:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    This is what Vin-kin does to me. :emog:
    Im sorry if I accidently scratched you:puppyeyes:
    Poor Vin-kin. :sad:
    I believe it over my own mother :yes:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper

Was it anything like Maria holic? :mmm:
    More like Rosette. :yes:

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by vin)
    oh you used scroll up, no wonder your post looked like this :wtf:
    I was jumping up and down whilst waving
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by vin)
    Im sorry if I accidently scratched you:puppyeyes:
    Scratching is the least of my worries, you normally eat off an arm or a leg. :sad:

I believe it over my own mother :yes:
    There's not much to believe in with Cara. :sadnod:

Oh, and your old C.C avatar keeps appearing in my subscribed threads panel. Weird, because I clear my cache regularly. Too bad my Joker C.C is gone forever. :sad:

• CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Juno)
    Hey Juno. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Scratching is the least of my worries, you normally eat off an arm or a leg. :sad:
    or tail :puppyeyes:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 9, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.