Reply 3260
vin
:console:

I just had breakfast:fluffy:

n00b on toast?
Reply 3261
Matisse
Poor Juno. I wish you a swift recovery. :hugs:

I have an ear infection :cry: I have drops, but they take about 5 days to work :bawling:
Matisse
Fortunately, OS X defragments 'in the background', while the computer is on, so I don't have to manually wait and do it myself. It could also be a browser issue, in which case clearing out your cache could fix it. More than likely, a defragment will do the trick. Failing that, a format. :tongue:

I'm using an alternative to the normal windows supplied one called "defragger". It defragged my main drive pretty quickly, but since the secondary drive apparantly has more files and stuff (it's the one where files get added and taken away a lot, so more fragmentation occurs), and contains the MMOs I've been meaning to uninstall, it's taking a while. So far it has been about an hour on the secondary drive, and took about half an hour on the main one. At least I have this netbook which I have to get used to typing on to use in the mean time XD The only real problem I have with typing on it is the right hand side of the keyboard, mostly the shift, backspace and enter keys v_v
Reply 3263
if that one doesnt work try power defragmenter :yes:
vin
if that one doesnt work try power defragmenter :yes:

ewwwwww

Hi all :smile:
I don't really know if defragmenting will help with the crashing ... I hope it does though. Kernel Inpage Data Error is what comes up, with a Stop Code of 7a. The fixes tend to be defrag/reinstall windows/reformat, or to get a new hard drive ('cause it might be dying). I only have to have the laptop last out until I get a new laptop/PC sometime at the start of the first term - I'm thinking of getting the aluminium Unibody Macbook Pro 13" :smile: I can get a rebate on it when I buy an ipod touch with it, which basically gets me a free/very cheap iPod Touch, plus the student discount :awesome:
LastLordofTime
I don't really know if defragmenting will help with the crashing ... I hope it does though. Kernel Inpage Data Error is what comes up, with a Stop Code of 7a. The fixes tend to be defrag/reinstall windows/reformat, or to get a new hard drive ('cause it might be dying). I only have to have the laptop last out until I get a new laptop/PC sometime at the start of the first term - I'm thinking of getting the aluminium Unibody Macbook Pro 13" :smile: I can get a rebate on it when I buy an ipod touch with it, which basically gets me a free/very cheap iPod Touch, plus the student discount :awesome:

Run a chkdsk.

That'll tell you whether or not your hard drive is starting to fail, might fix your issue aswell..
I ran a chkdsk when this first started, nothing came up. I set it to run chkdsk the next time the computer turns on yesterday, but it never happened. I'll run it right away once defraggler is finished running. Sometimes I'll go a week without getting the BSOD, but others it'll happen a couple of times a day.
Reply 3268
This is quite literally a different language to me.......so glad my brother has a degree in ICT - he does all that stuff for me :mmm:
LastLordofTime
I ran a chkdsk when this first started, nothing came up. I set it to run chkdsk the next time the computer turns on yesterday, but it never happened. I'll run it right away once defraggler is finished running. Sometimes I'll go a week without getting the BSOD, but others it'll happen a couple of times a day.

You need to look out for bad sectors, also make sure its set to scan for bad sectors and automatically fix any issues..

Your bsod.. what is the actual error? There are lots of causes.
Reply 3270
caraniel
This is quite literally a different language to me.......so glad my brother has a degree in ICT - he does all that stuff for me :mmm:

You dont really learn this stuff in IT:sigh:
Reply 3271
caraniel

I just PM a techie or two...
IGX_RSV2
You need to look out for bad sectors, also make sure its set to scan for bad sectors and automatically fix any issues..

Your bsod.. what is the actual error? There are lots of causes.

I saved all the error information in a notepad file on the laptop which is currently defragging. But I remember it was a Kernel Inpage Data Error with a Stop code of (lots of 0s)7a.
LastLordofTime
I saved all the error information in a notepad file on the laptop which is currently defragging. But I remember it was a Kernel Inpage Data Error with a Stop code of (lots of 0s)7a.

Well, you either have some bad sectors on your hd(a sign of which your hard drive is starting to fail, so start backing up) or there is an issue with your current RAM.. which can be easily fixed by replacing it :smile:

If chkdsk isnt reporting any bad sectors, then it'll be your RAM.
IGX_RSV2
Well, you either have some bad sectors on your hd(a sign of which your hard drive is starting to fail, so start backing up) or there is an issue with your current RAM.. which can be easily fixed by replacing it :smile:

If chkdsk isnt reporting any bad sectors, then it'll be your RAM.

Ah, cool. There's a cover on the bottom of my laptop so it'd be fairly easy just to replace the RAM, as long as I can find a suitable replacement. I think it runs on 2x 1GB at the moment ... not sure. Defragging of secondary partition is at 80% now, so not too much longer until I can run Chkdsk then :smile:
LastLordofTime
Ah, cool. There's a cover on the bottom of my laptop so it'd be fairly easy just to replace the RAM, as long as I can find a suitable replacement. I think it runs on 2x 1GB at the moment ... not sure. Defragging of secondary partition is at 80% now, so not too much longer until I can run Chkdsk then :smile:

Make sure you tick both the boxes aswell, as one of them "Scans for bad sectors"
IGX_RSV2
Make sure you tick both the boxes aswell, as one of them "Scans for bad sectors"

Will do :smile:
Reply 3277
I use Linux because it doesn't need defragging
Burnt my finger making toast :bawling:
Reply 3279
IGX_RSV2
Burnt my finger making toast :bawling:

n00b:hahaha:

Latest