:ninja2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IGX_RSV2)
    :ninja2:
    Juno have you had lunch yet?:teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Defraggler complete, now running ChkDsk

ReputationRep:
    It just said "File record segment 48828 is unreadable". I guess that's bad? XD

Edit: and 48829
    Edit: and 48830
    Edit: and 48831 ... that seems to be it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LastLordofTime)
    It just said "File record segment 48828 is unreadable". I guess that's bad? XD

Edit: and 48829
    Edit: and 48830
    Edit: and 48831 ... that seems to be it.
    Hdd is starting to fail . I'd start backing up all your data if you want to keep it.. You're gonna have to replace your hdd.

ed: You could try a reformat, but it probably won't solve anything as its a hardware issue.

ReputationRep:
    Hdd is starting to fail . I'd start backing up all your data if you want to keep it.. You're gonna have to replace your hdd.

ed: You could try a reformat, but it probably won't solve anything as its a hardware issue.
    I wont be replacing the hard drive, as I'll just get a new computer (like I'm planning to anyway). This will just cease to be :p: I'll probably back up my data sometime later. I've had enough of my time stolen by this stuff today XD

ReputationRep:
    I wont be replacing the hard drive, as I'll just get a new computer (like I'm planning to anyway). This will just cease to be :p: I'll probably back up my data sometime later. I've had enough of my time stolen by this stuff today XD
    First dibs on all the spare parts!!

ReputationRep:
    No one gets dibs :ninja: I wonder if there's some sort of government rebate system for recycling computers :O

ReputationRep:
    No one gets dibs :ninja: I wonder if there's some sort of government rebate system for recycling computers :O
    LOL

It looks to me as if only the hdd has failed, everything else in it sounds a ok.. it would be a waste to chuck out the processor, ram, and other bits They could all be put towards a new build.

ReputationRep:
    LOL

It looks to me as if only the hdd has failed, everything else in it sounds a ok.. it would be a waste to chuck out the processor, ram, and other bits They could all be put towards a new build.
    Can you use laptop parts in a Desktop PC?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I see, it turned out to be a hardware failure, nothing to do with the OS itself. Oh well, since you're planning to purchase a new computer/laptop, it doesn't particularly matter anyway. I'm also glad to read that you're choosing a Mac. The build quality and the operating system, in particular, will make your life so much easier at university, especially for video production (the Apple Suite of software is invaluable). Vin-kin is going to post shortly saying I'm an Apple fan-girl, which I guess I am. I know for certain that it's the ideal solution for us creatives. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Can you use laptop parts in a Desktop PC?

Nope. But such things as the ram, dvd-rom etc will still be good for other laptops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matisse)
    I see, it turned out to be a hardware failure, nothing to do with the OS itself. Oh well, since you're planning to purchase a new computer/laptop, it doesn't particularly matter anyway. I'm also glad to read that you're choosing a Mac. The build quality and the operating system, in particular, will make your life so much easier at university, especially for video production (the Apple Suite of software is invaluable). Vin-kin is going to post shortly saying I'm an Apple fan-girl, which I guess I am. I know for certain that it's the ideal solution for us creatives. :yes:
    Indeed It's just the price tag ... I don't think I'll have enough of an overdraft at the start to get it with that, and I don't want to spend my loan on it until I have a job to support it. I have plenty of money from the maintenance loan and grant, enough to have £60 a week, but I just want to be secure with the money. I'll have to get it before October, as I think that is when the student deals end?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Indeed It's just the price tag ... I don't think I'll have enough of an overdraft at the start to get it with that, and I don't want to spend my loan on it until I have a job to support it. I have plenty of money from the maintenance loan and grant, enough to have £60 a week, but I just want to be secure with the money. I'll have to get it before October, as I think that is when the student deals end?
    Amusedly, there was an article whereby they did a Dell and Apple laptop comparison. When adjusting the components used in the Dell to those used in the Apple, the Dell turned out much more expensive. This was regarding the level-entry Macbook, not the Pro, In any case, for desktop, building your own PC will obviously be the better and cheaper option, but for a laptop, the Mac is definitely the best one to go for, in my opinion (from experience of owning both).

The one thing you'll need to be weary of is Apple's tendency to release their new models around October. They don't announce it beforehand, they just do it. I'm not sure when the student deal ends, sorry. :o:

ReputationRep:
    Who is the character in IGX's sig ?

ReputationRep:
    The one thing you'll need to be weary of is Apple's tendency to release their new models around October. They don't announce it beforehand, they just do it. I'm not sure when the student deal ends, sorry. :o:
    Yeah, I think Snow Leopard (or whatever the new OS is called) comes out around October, and they're offering it free/cheap if you buy a mac now before it comes out. And on a lot of things they seem to do a free trade-in if you bought within a couple of weeks before the release of a new model. At least I heard they did that for iPhones/iPod Touch.

I can't get the student discount or even access the Student Apple Store until I'm actually at uni anyway, since I need to access it through the Uni's network.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O Maestro)
    Who is the character in IGX's sig ?
    One of the Vocaloids - Kaito :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caraniel)
    One of the Vocaloids - Kaito :yep:
    What's a vocaloid?

ReputationRep:
    What's a vocaloid?
    You know Miku Hatsune - the green twin-tail character with the leeks? She's a vocaloid too - its basically a programme to create music with - each vocaloid is programmed with a different singers voice.....and thats not the best explaination in the world :hmmmm: Wiki answers all!

ReputationRep:
    Ive only just come back, really hot and wet

you are an apple fangirl
    Amusedly, there was an article whereby they did a Dell and Apple laptop comparison. When adjusting the components used in the Dell to those used in the Apple, the Dell turned out much more expensive. This was regarding the level-entry Macbook, not the Pro, In any case, for desktop, building your own PC will obviously be the better and cheaper option, but for a laptop, the Mac is definitely the best one to go for, in my opinion (from experience of owning both).

dell's are ***** :indiff:
    (Original post by caraniel)
    You know Miku Hatsune - the green twin-tail character with the leeks? She's a vocaloid too - its basically a programme to create music with - each vocaloid is programmed with a different singers voice.....and thats not the best explaination in the world :hmmmm: Wiki answers all!
    artificial voices that sing and stuff, though Gackupo is based on Gackt :yes:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 9, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.