Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anime Soc Chat: Ignoring crazed lolis since 2006! Watch

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Matisse)
    Hey Juno, I hope everything at work is okay. :yes: - Unfortunately, I'm only poking my head in. I'm going to get some sleep because I have work tomorrow. :sad: - Chat soon. :hugs:
    It was day off, so I'm not thinking about work. But tomorrow, guess what I'm doing after work... :blush:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    Nonetheless, you could always adopt a tall hairstyle to gain a few inches :laugh:
    erm... no?

I'd prefer being short to having a mohawk or a pompadour :p:

(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    My sister's laptop is finally back from Comet... and still not working. It came with a loose hard drive in the box, problem is that we don't know whether that's a new one or the faulty old one. Either way, whatever is in there now isn't working. I tried getting it out, but there's all sorts of protective things on it (for good reason I guess) and I got nowhere with that. Surely Comet are obliged to make sure that the computer they're meant to have fixed is fully operational when they hand it back, as you'd expect from a new PC, as not everyone knows how to put them back together. :rant:
    That isn't on. They're required by the warrenty... :hugs:

Harsh, the only thing to do is complain and hopefully they'll fix it
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Juno)
    It was day off, so I'm not thinking about work. But tomorrow, guess what I'm doing after work... :blush:
    Oh! Good luck, hope it goes well. Be assured to inform me after. :hugs:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by IGX_RSV2)
    Its not too hard

Just pull on the little orangey thing(should by shaped like a little handle).. thats its intended purpose
    Well I don't have it on me right now, but I don't remember seeing any orange things... There was this metal plate with a single screw, which decided to go flying off inside the laptop somewhere after I unscrewed it :awesome: So putting aside the job of retrieving that, I couldn't get off this metal thing even after it was unscrewed, and so I gave up. :s:

TBH it doesn't matter how easy or hard it is, if it's broken and under warranty then they should fix it up so that it just turns on first time. Or replace it if that's not possible. I'm sure something like this wouldn't take them 5 minutes. I'd insist we take it back, but Comet is hardly nearby, it's two hours drive to the nearest one and it's not in a place we visit often. Plus we'd have to go through the whole phone thing first... :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    Bao Xishun was the tallest man in the world at one point, and is certainly one of. Then you have someone like Yao Ming. :tongue: - Also, you'll be surprised, I'm encountering a lot of oriental girls at 5'6, 5'7 now. It's also not uncommon for guys to be 6'+. But yes, most are obviously shorter than their western counterparts. :sadnod:
    I think nutrition pays an important part, too. If Chinese people were frequently as well nourished as Euro-Americans, then their average height might rise a bit. Mind you, China is very ethnically diverse.
    Also, the world's shortest walking man, He Pingping, comes from the same region as Bao Xishun :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Pudding_Earl)
    erm... no?

I'd prefer being short to having a mohawk or a pompadour :p:
    Just a few inches, not a whole foot :tongue:

But yeah, being a short girl is perfectly normal :emog:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Well I don't have it on me right now, but I don't remember seeing any orange things... There was this metal plate with a single screw, which decided to go flying off inside the laptop somewhere after I unscrewed it :awesome: So putting aside the job of retrieving that, I couldn't get off this metal thing even after it was unscrewed, and so I gave up. :s:

TBH it doesn't matter how easy or hard it is, if it's broken and under warranty then they should fix it up so that it just turns on first time. Or replace it if that's not possible. I'm sure something like this wouldn't take them 5 minutes. I'd insist we take it back, but Comet is hardly nearby, it's two hours drive to the nearest one and it's not in a place we visit often. Plus we'd have to go through the whole phone thing first... :banghead:

meh, I'd try a local independent computer store.. they usually offer much better service.

ReputationRep:
    *breathes*

just watched 'Hajime... New Challenger' 24. :excited: The definition of epic.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I think nutrition pays an important part, too. If Chinese people were frequently as well nourished as Euro-Americans, then their average height might rise a bit. Mind you, China is very ethnically diverse.
    Also, the world's shortest walking man, He Pingping, comes from the same region as Bao Xishun :indiff:
    Most of China, especially in the bigger cities, are just as well nourished as in western countries. When I last went to Shanghai (two years ago), I saw more restaurants (of varying kinds, including western fast-food chains) than over here in London. Might explain the increase in height (still pretty slim, on the whole, though). :yes:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by IGX_RSV2)
    meh, I'd try a local independent computer store.. they usually offer much better service.
    'Local' means at least 30 minutes drive when you live in an area as rural as I do. :p: And the reason we keep crawling back to Comet is because it's under warranty, we can't afford to spend money fixing it. My parents are already down £100 this week alone because the weather prevented them from going to work (both are doing separate gardening jobs).

ReputationRep:
    Bao Xishun was the tallest man in the world at one point, and is certainly one of. Then you have someone like Yao Ming. :tongue: - Also, you'll be surprised, I'm encountering a lot of oriental girls at 5'6, 5'7 now. It's also not uncommon for guys to be 6'+. But yes, most are obviously shorter than their western counterparts. :sadnod:
    Yes, I do find the odd abnormalities very... odd. :tongue: It's like all the tall genes are stored up and given all in one go to some random guy. :redface: That being said, I like being small. Helps with the whole innocent persona I like to adopt from time to time.

How're you Aiko? :hugs:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    Yes, I do find the odd abnormalities very... odd. :tongue: It's like all the tall genes are stored up and given all in one go to some random guy. :redface: That being said, I like being small. Helps with the whole innocent persona I like to adopt from time to time.
    You really are cute, though. The height is part of the package. :o:

I'm about to get some sleep, but I'm doing okay. Just been watching anime, really. :smile: - Hope you're well, Kagu. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Most of China, especially in the bigger cities, are just as well nourished as in western countries. When I last went to Shanghai (two years ago), I saw more restaurants (of varying kinds, including western fast-food chains) than over here in London. Might explain the increase in height (still pretty slim, on the whole, though). :yes:
    That's true for the cities, but I would suspect that the older generations and rural Chinese will not have benefited as much from good nutrition as younger generations. They were going on about education and health in the countryside a while back. And dirty industries don't exactly help. We'll see in the future.

There are not enough chubby Chinese girls, no

ReputationRep:

It's incredibly weird that some people buck average ethnic height, yeah. Maybe it is supernatural work <_<
    Many supertall people have had titanic importance in pre-modern history.

ReputationRep:
    You really are cute, though. The height is part of the package. :o:
    Thank you. As are you.

I'm about to get some sleep, but I'm doing okay. Just been watching anime, really. :smile: - Hope you're well, Kagu. :hugs:
    Very well. I'm overloading on anime, manga and sweets in the hope of forgetting all about the impending doom looming over in the distance. :afraid: (results :tongue:). 3 days. :puppyeyes:

Goodnight. :hugs:

There are not enough chubby Chinese girls, no
    No... there really aren't. We're disciplined to eat what's given and no excess. :cute: (at least in my house...and my auntie's... I hate when they pick food for me and put it in my bowl, ON MY RICE. :mad: It's good a gesture but everyone knows I like the rice and non-rice things seperate. :o:).

ReputationRep:
    It's incredibly weird that some people buck average ethnic height, yeah. Maybe it is supernatural work <_<
    Many supertall people have had titanic importance in pre-modern history.
    I'm gonna go with genes lying dormant for generations, but you can go with supernatural intervention. :giggle:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Aiko was going to bed ages ago :huff:

ReputationRep:
    Well aren't you little miss observant? :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    No... there really aren't. We're disciplined to eat what's given and no excess. :cute: (at least in my house...and my auntie's... I hate when they pick food for me and put it in my bowl, ON MY RICE. :mad: It's good a gesture but everyone knows I like the rice and non-rice things seperate. :o:).
    Lame :huff: But fast food restaurants will soon change that

I am also worried about the exams. You're not alone :console:

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna go with genes lying dormant for generations, but you can go with supernatural intervention. :giggle:
    I have a wild imagination :proud:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 9, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.