Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anime Soc Chat: Ignoring crazed lolis since 2006! Watch

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Matisse)
    So, AJ was watching the series with the Japanese voice cast, only with subtitles that were following the edited English script? It's impossible to gain a literal translation anyway, even when fan-subtitled. Then again, I'm clueless when it comes to anything subtitled or dubbed. :o:
    Most fansubs (and decent official subs) try to keep the original meaning, even if it's not a literal translation. But I know enough Japanese to realize that 'sunao ja nai' doesn't translate to 'she's probably gone to get a bigger gun'. :indiff:

And during most of the series' dramatic silences, subtitles show up on the screen even though nothing is being said, which is just weird and annoying (obviously they decided to throw in a few extra lines into the dub). The opposite happens occasionally, when you hear voices but whatever is said isn't subbed. :s:

ReputationRep:

Futuristic and mysterious :coma:

ReputationRep:
    isnt there a persona thread where that belongs?:mmm:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    Most fansubs (and decent official subs) try to keep the original meaning, even if it's not a literal translation. But I know enough Japanese to realize that 'sunao ja nai' doesn't translate to 'she's probably gone to get a bigger gun'. :indiff:

And during most of the series' dramatic silences, subtitles show up on the screen even though nothing is being said, which is just weird and annoying (obviously they decided to throw in a few extra lines into the dub). The opposite happens occasionally, when you hear voices but whatever is said isn't subbed. :s:
    Yes, I understand. The script will be intended for the English-speaking voice cast, so it wouldn't be appropriated for the original Japanese. Okay, I understand what dubtitling is now. That's too bad. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vin)
    isnt there a persona thread where that belongs?:mmm:
    :nah: It's sleeping. Besides, persona is relevant as it's an anime game. :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Oh crap I havent got my next avatar/sig combo sorted! I forgot it was Sunday :shock:

ReputationRep:
    I dont care :mmm:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by vin)
    this is like the thing with Souten Kouro again
    I was under the impression that fan-subtitling had expanded enormously in the past decade, especially with the advent of soft-subbing, which makes the process far easier. Also, from what I can see, the majority of the series that broadcast each season are fan-subtitled and surprisingly quick too. Shame about Souten Kouro, though. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    How far has FMA 2.0 gone to?

ReputationRep:
    I think its because Souten Kouro is quite difficult to sub due to the vast number of characters and the fact all their names have to be translated into Chinese from their Japanese renderings........that and its a fairly niche anime series anyway :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vin)
    I dont care :mmm:
    Fine then, you're not getting any corpses for a week :eviltongue:

Persona is anime too and this is Off-Topic anyway :huff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caraniel)
    Oh crap I havent got my next avatar/sig combo sorted! I forgot it was Sunday :shock:
    Before you change, who is that in your avatar? :drool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    Before you change, who is that in your avatar? :drool:
    Hanyuu from Higurashi :yeah:

ReputationRep:
    Not heard of her yet

2nd series character?

Sneaky, you switched right after :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    ******* hell I thought you were AJ

Bad choice mummy:no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    Not heard of her yet

2nd series character?

Sneaky, you switched right after :shifty:
    Yeah she's a Kai character :yes:

Its after midnight, theme had to be changed :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vin)
    ******* hell I thought you were AJ

Bad choice mummy:no:
    :dry: Quiet you.

ReputationRep:
    :dry: Quiet you.
    its true:sad:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Matisse)
    I was under the impression that fan-subtitling had expanded enormously in the past decade, especially with the advent of soft-subbing, which makes the process far easier. Also, from what I can see, the majority of the series that broadcast each season are fan-subtitled and surprisingly quick too. Shame about Souten Kouro, though. :erm:
    As Cara said, most groups are reluctant to touch anything that looks like it'll be hard work to translate, and the niche series tend to get overlooked as well. While more mainstream series like Pandora Hearts (to pick an example from the same season as Souten Kouro) can get up to 10 fansub groups competing with each other. :s:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Also, Cara's avatar gains my approval.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 9, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.