Turn on thread page Beta

How can I gain weight? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    You can just have two pints of whole milk. I'm sure it's cheaper and at least as good.
    Better than homo complan.

Bascially this ***** needs to just eat some more ******* food, its really not such a difficult concept to master.

ReputationRep:
    Bascially this ***** needs to just eat some more ******* food, its really not such a difficult concept to master.
    I'm very sorry for asking for some help. I'm incredibly thick and never thought that the amount I eat could affect my weight.
    Sometimes the thought of eating makes me feel sick and I don't enjoy food, I simply eat it when I'm hungry because I need to in order to stay alive. I don't understand how some people can stuff their faces with junk when they're not even hungry. I've tried it a few times and always end up heaving thinking I'm going to be sick. There's a limit to how much food I can make myself eat and unfortunately, it tends to be less than the amount of calories I burn in a day. Has anyone else had this problem? I know this sounds stupid but is there any way I can make myself enjoy food and increase my appetite?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cymraes..)
    I'm very sorry for asking for some help. I'm incredibly thick and never thought that the amount I eat could affect my weight.
    Sometimes the thought of eating makes me feel sick and I don't enjoy food, I simply eat it when I'm hungry because I need to in order to stay alive. I don't understand how some people can stuff their faces with junk when they're not even hungry. I've tried it a few times and always end up heaving thinking I'm going to be sick. There's a limit to how much food I can make myself eat and unfortunately, it tends to be less than the amount of calories I burn in a day. Has anyone else had this problem? I know this sounds stupid but is there any way I can make myself enjoy food and increase my appetite?
    If it's volume you're struggling with, have more calorie-dense food. Things like, cheese, whole milk, olive/rapeseed oil, red meat.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't be sorry for asking for help, but the sad truth is most people on diets to either gain or loose weight either quit, or achieve only temporarily results.

If your serious about this, your going to have look at this as a lifestyle change, redefining your relationship with food, and exercise.

The three things you need to work on are:

1)nutrition

2) cardiovascular

3) weight training (yes even for women)

Join your college gym, and get a diary write down your current weight, writing it down makes it real, set a long term goal, so you won't be aimless and know exactly what you want to accomplish and by which date. Something like "in three moths I want to weigh X amount of pounds".

*Keep your work out plans again in your diary.
    *weigh yourself only once a week, at the same time and day.

(If you need help getting your head around Nutrition, Cardio, and Weights, I'm happy to help out).

Good luck, and stay positive! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saff123)
    You shouldn't be sorry for asking for help, but the sad truth is most people on diets to either gain or loose weight either quit, or achieve only temporarily results.

If your serious about this, your going to have look at this as a lifestyle change, redefining your relationship with food, and exercise.

The three things you need to work on are:

1)nutrition

2) cardiovascular

Join your college gym, and get a diary write down your current weight, writing it down makes it real, set a long term goal, so you won't be aimless and know exactly what you want to accomplish and by which date. Something like "in three moths I want to weigh X amount of pounds".

*Keep your work out plans again in your diary.
    *weigh yourself only once a week, at the same time and day.

(If you need help getting your head around Nutrition, Cardio, and Weights, I'm happy to help out).

Good luck, and stay positive! :yes:
    As beneficial as Cardio is in the long term, I think in the short term for underweight trainees, it is highly over valued. Unless they're an athlete. There's little point in an underweight person to burn away their calories; especially when they're trying to cope with eating more than they're used to.

Weight training; yes. This IS highly important and I would rank it above cardio. You don't want the added weight to just be fat. Sure, once you've reached a good target weight, reassess and add in some cardio to maintain fitness. But I'd say hold off until then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    As beneficial as Cardio is in the long term, I think in the short term for underweight trainees, it is highly over valued. Unless they're an athlete. There's little point in an underweight person to burn away their calories; especially when they're trying to cope with eating more than they're used to.

Weight training; yes. This IS highly important and I would rank it above cardio. You don't want the added weight to just be fat. Sure, once you've reached a good target weight, reassess and add in some cardio to maintain fitness. But I'd say hold off until then.
    I understand where your coming from, after all thats a popular school of thought, but I really disagree;

The right Diet will help her feed her body what it needs without gaining excess fat, Weight Training will build her muscle and strength, and Cardio will help her to define that muscle, and importantly give her control over her weight, and a healthier heart i.e more energy.

Diet, Weights, and Cardio work in synergy; she dosn't have to go all out on cardio. Just three 30mins programs done right, three times a week will give her noticeable difference to her appetite, energy and stress levels, and overall body shape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saff123)
    I understand where your coming from, after all thats a popular school of thought, but I really disagree;

The right Diet will help her feed her body what it needs without gaining excess fat, Weight Training will build her muscle and strength, and Cardio will help her to define that muscle, and importantly give her control over her weight, and a healthier heart i.e more energy.

Diet, Weights, and Cardio work in synergy; she dosn't have to go all out on cardio. Just three 30mins programs done right, three times a week will give her noticeable difference to her appetite, energy and stress levels, and overall body shape.
    Well, it's going to be fairly difficult to gain weight and muscle if she's burning off the calories from running. Are you suggesting that eating more calories and lifting weights will add the weight/muscle and the additional cardio will just mop-up all the remaining fat? It doesn't really work well that way. Maybe I've not understood you, define "define that muscle"?

I'm not suggesting a bodybuilder-style heavy-bulk/massive-cut plan here. I can't remember her initial stats, nor can I be bothered to look; but I remember she was drastically underweight. So she needs to gain weight. Simple. Eat more, lift weights so the majority of the added mass is muscle, not fat. Do it at a sensible enough pace, and there will be minimal fat gain. She is underweight, a little extra fat can be beneficial. Cardio is not going to magically stop the fat coming when she's trying to gain weight.

Cardio has it's place, for sure. And I'm not discouraging anyone from ever doing cardio; that would be unwise. If the OP wishes to have a much higher level of fitness and stamina, then do some cardio. All I'm saying is that initially, cardio is not necessary. Gain a little weight, to something that is acceptable, then worry about sculpting. If she's careful with not eating too much too soon, there will be very little to worry about.

This is of course, only my take. Maybe the OP quite likes the idea of doing cardio; I hate it so I try to discourage everyone else from doing it too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Well, it's going to be fairly difficult to gain weight and muscle if she's burning off the calories from running. Are you suggesting that eating more calories and lifting weights will add the weight/muscle and the additional cardio will just mop-up all the remaining fat? It doesn't really work well that way. Maybe I've not understood you, define "define that muscle"?.
    Gaining or loosing weight is arbitrary. I'm encouraging living a balanced healthy lifestyle that will keep her on the right track long term. If all she did was "eat more" and weight train she may put on the weight but she'll find she has no control over either the weight or her body shape. She risks bloating out, and then going on a diet to loose weight. Most people go up and down like a yo-yo, and simply give up.

If shes taught about being aware of what she eats, she'll be in a position to make the right choices, count her calories, and be aware of her protein, carbs, and fat needs, and intake.

A good Cardio. program combined with Nutrition and Weights will help make sure most of those extra calories don't become fat, allow her to define her body as in tone and sculpt.

.. All I'm saying is that initially, cardio is not necessary. Gain a little weight, to something that is acceptable, then worry about sculpting. If she's careful with not eating too much too soon, there will be very little to worry about.

I believe it's something that should be introduced from the start, not an after thought once she's gained the weight. I can adjust my nutrition, cardio. and weight training to gain or loose weight, I don't know why she wouldn't be able to.

I can't remember her initial stats, nor can I be bothered to look; but I remember she was drastically underweight.
    If I remember correctly she's 5'2 and weighs 6.5 stones, if thats correct, I think if she can put on a stone (15-16%+ her current weight) she'd be in a good zone.

This is of course, only my take. Maybe the OP quite likes the idea of doing cardio; I hate it so I try to discourage everyone else from doing it too.
    Your not the first person I've heard that from, perhaps I have the opposite bias, but I genuinely couldn't imagine it as not part of my workout, I believe in the benefits from my own experience.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    I lose weight really fast without trying at all so I know what you mean about not always knowing what makes your body put on/off weight.

You can try just favoring high-calorie foods and being more conscious of what you're eating.

ReputationRep:
    Instead of coming with a long reply, full of reasons and evidence, I'll just summarise.

**** Cardio.

/13-year-old.

ReputationRep:
    1)nutrition

2) cardiovascular

I like the idea of the diary so I'll try that, thanks.
    I'm alreay doing some cardio and I don't want to stop because I do feel the benefits but would it be a good idea to do a bit less of it so that I'm not burning as many calories? I'll start doing a bit of weight training because at the moment I'm working a lot on my legs (I have to keep them fairly strong because I do a lot of ice dancing and figure skating) but not doing hardly anything for my arms.
    I can't remember her initial stats
    I'm around 5'2" and my weight varies between 6.5 and 6.8 stone.

ReputationRep:
    when doing cardiovascular try to use treadmills uphill, cross trainers on a higher difficulty to improve muscle size rather than tone.
    Seriously dont recommend weight gain pills, mess your body up. Stick do a varied diet, but high in protein. Stay away from energy supplements, these also mess with eating habits.
    tried a few weight gain and energy supplements as a young body builder and put me off food and made me constantly down.
    hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    when doing cardiovascular try to use treadmills uphill, cross trainers on a higher difficulty to improve muscle size rather than tone.
    Seriously dont recommend weight gain pills, mess your body up. Stick do a varied diet, but high in protein. Stay away from energy supplements, these also mess with eating habits.
    tried a few weight gain and energy supplements as a young body builder and put me off food and made me constantly down.
    hope this helps
    Thanks, this is really helpful. Simple, but helpful. I have always hated the idea of taking supplements etc.

ReputationRep:
    I like the idea of the diary so I'll try that, thanks.
    I'm alreay doing some cardio and I don't want to stop because I do feel the benefits but would it be a good idea to do a bit less of it so that I'm not burning as many calories?
    It's not a question of doing more or less, you need to do the the right intensity of Cardio. for your current fitness level, if you combine that with the right diet you will see noticeable changes.

When I talk about a lifestyle change it sounds scary, but it's actually incremental; gradually improving your diet, weight training, and cardo work outs as your health and body noticeably improve.

Since you already do some cardio, I would suggest the following:

In your diary, make a workout plan over 4 weeks, work out three 3 days a week on cardo. On alternate days, i.e Monday, Wednesday, Friday for 30-mins at between 50%-60% of your MHR (maximum heart rate). You can either work out your MHR yourself which is more accurate, or my estimate based on your age is 210 BMP (beats per minute), so your actual work out range should be between 105 BMP (50%)-126 BMP (60%).

If you work out at those levels of your MHR, you'll see greater benefit, than working out for longer, at a lower levels. You can monitor your MHR either is you have a heart rate monitor, or using ones built on to gym machines.

DO NOT under any circumstances try to exceed your MHR 210BMP! Thats dangerous, also if you have a heart condition let me know, and I can taylor things.

Just stick within the 50%-60% range, whatever your capable of maintaing for 30-mins.

On one day during the weekend, you can do a light activity, playing with the dog, taking a walk, walk around town something not too strenious.

For motivation you can measure your RHR (resting heart rate), after you woken up in the morning is the best time, or after you've been relaxing for awhile feel your pulse and count for a minute your heart beats, write that down in your diary, after 4 weeks that number will be lower, because your heart which is a muscle will be stronger, you'll have more energy and stamina to boot.

And don't miss a workout, even missing one day of the gym workouts will slow you down, and affect your results. Because your not maintaining your fitness level, your trying to improve it.

I'll start doing a bit of weight training because at the moment I'm working a lot on my legs (I have to keep them fairly strong because I do a lot of ice dancing and figure skating) but not doing hardly anything for my arms.
    I'm around 5'2" and my weight varies between 6.5 and 6.8 stone.
    I can talk you through weight training which should be for all your muscle groups, and nutrition, ie being aware of your calories, and what your body needs, in terms of Carbs. Protein, and fat, let me know what you weigh now.

Hope that wasn't too overwhelming but it's a lot too fit on a thread.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to gain weight, then eat more. I'm afraid that's all there is to it. Yes, it's difficult for people who aren't used to eating a lot of food to eat a lot, but it's a lifestyle change and you'll (eventually) get used to it.

If you want to gain QUALITY weight, you must eat more and lift weights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RawJoh1)
    If you want to gain weight, then eat more. I'm afraid that's all there is to it. Yes, it's difficult for people who aren't used to eating a lot of food to eat a lot, but it's a lifestyle change and you'll (eventually) get used to it.

If you want to gain QUALITY weight, you must eat more and lift weights.
    If a guy writes that much, you are obligated to follow the advice. You have to.

Concise advice will not suffice. (see what I did there)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)

^^^ Supporting this guy's posts.

As he said, **** the cardio. 'Define that muscle', lol, you can't define or tone muscle - they're just marketing words for women. You can put on or lose muscle or fat, you can't 'tone' jack.

OP you seriously need to eat more. Go on the see food diet - see it you eat it.

If you really wanted to do some cardio after a few months of serious eating, then perhaps you could do HIIT once a week, but it's an advanced technique and I don't *really* recommend it for you but it's better than you feeling really fat, leaving your house and doing some stupid cardio routine of your own (no offence). Warm up walking. Sprint for 10-20 seconds, then rest for 60-90 seconds and repeat 16 times. It resembles weight training in its short bursts of intensity. If you think of all the jacked up animals like lions, bulls, gorillas and american football players you know they go all out for short bursts. You could do this after you've packed on some weight from the food and it's a technique I use when I'm gaining muscle and want to prevent fat gains. I guess in theory you could potentially put on muscle from doing it in the way I've described if you keep increasing intensity week on week as it so closely resembles weight training.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)

I did see, and I really don't get it; shes worried about her body and I'm trying to help out. Time and a place.

(Original post by TerryTerry)
    'Define that muscle', lol, you can't define or tone muscle - they're just marketing words for women. You can put on or lose muscle or fat, you can't 'tone' jack.
    Thats precisely the definition of definition/define, when applied to a noun. ahh the irony, oh yes. :rolleyes:

You seem to be labouring under the impression that it means changing the shape of her muscles internally, it doesn't, just the appearance on the outside.

OP you seriously need to eat more. Go on the see food diet - see it you eat it
    Think of that all by yourself?

If you think of all the jacked up animals like lions, bulls, gorillas and american football players you know they go all out for short bursts.
    Incorporating work outs from our animal cousins aside, I played American football for years, 99% of professional athletes in every major sport to male/female models of every sumptuous description, incorporate cardio. the heart's a muscle you can quite literally live without.

As long as she consumes more calories, than she burns, of the right proportion of carbs, protein, and fat she will put on weight. Simples

ReputationRep:
    Full glass of whole milk twice a day or ask your doc to prescribe aymas shakes which are 300 cal's per serving your doc can actually go online and get you some free samples to try then eat your normal diet or try complan added into your normal diet you do need to do some form of exercise like swimming or walking

ReputationRep:
    yes it is hard i am trying very hard to gain weight has im always being told i am too thin ,not good ,

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.