Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone here either take the exam, or does anyone here teach the said qualification?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrm.)
    Did anyone here either take the exam, or does anyone here teach the said qualification?
    I did one of them (as there are two).
    I did the Foundations of Advanced Mathematics one.

What about you?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hi other Mr M.

I will be teaching OCR Additional Maths FSMQ for the first time next year. I have selected a small group of Year 11 students I expect to comfortably attain A* in GCSE mathematics if I enter them early in November 2009. I intend to cover the content in an after school class one hour per week between November and June.

ReputationRep:
    I sat OCR FSMQ additional maths in 2007, and got an A. Our class (of 32) took GCSE a year early and then went through the fsmq content during maths lessons in Year 11. It was very laid back - no work outside lessons, very little obligation to work during lessons - it was almost intended to give us a chance to relax and have more time to concentrate on our other GCSEs. As a result, only two in the class got A's, with most people getting D's, E's and U's.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I think you mean FSMQ instead of FMSQ? I think it's free standing maths qualification.

I took it. It's pretty straight forward.

I think there's also some confusion for students. I know my school had lots of confusion. There's an additional maths qualification which is pretty much the same as the GCSE without coursework and there's another qualification with some AS level stuff.

ReputationRep:
    would anyone mind sharing how they approached the cours?
    eg in conjunction with gcse, early gcse (y10) then ocr (y11), extra lessons etc ....,
    and secondly was there the case that too much of Y9 work was repeated in GCSE, thus making GCSE too easy/ dull ?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrm.)
    would anyone mind sharing how they approached the cours?
    eg in conjunction with gcse, early gcse (y10) then ocr (y11), extra lessons etc ....,
    and secondly was there the case that too much of Y9 work was repeated in GCSE, thus making GCSE too easy/ dull ?

thanks
    We did the GCSE in year 10, and then the FSMQ in year 11. There was an option for after school sessions for some extra work, but not many people used it. I personally found GCSE Maths ridiculously easy and the FSMQ is certainly a step up. A good piece of advice is to learn the course yourself at home rather than relying on the teacher; mine was good for GCSE but wasn't great with the FSMQ. She spent ages teaching us the easy stuff, as well as going over GCSE knowledge. So, make sure you have the textbook (by Val Hanrahan) and finish it as early as possible. Our teacher missed out some important areas.

ReputationRep:
    We also did the GCSE in year 10, and then the Additional Maths FSMQ in year 11, with the teacher covering the course during our maths lessons as timetabled during school. Unlike addylad, I found that there was no need to self-teach the course, as the teacher was more than capable of covering it all by the mid-Spring term, and she went on and taught us a few things that have been taken off the course (such as basic matrix laws, and logarithm laws). There aren't many topics in the syllabus, but unlike the GCSE, it goes quite in depth in some of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GHOSH-5)
    We also did the GCSE in year 10, and then the Additional Maths FSMQ in year 11, with the teacher covering the course during our maths lessons as timetabled during school. Unlike addylad, I found that there was no need to self-teach the course, as the teacher was more than capable of covering it all by the mid-Spring term, and she went on and taught us a few things that have been taken off the course (such as basic matrix laws, and logarithm laws). There aren't many topics in the syllabus, but unlike the GCSE, it goes quite in depth in some of them.
    Ah, my teacher was teaching it for the first time and couldn't even answer some of the questions. :sad:

OP, it depends on the quality of teaching. I learned some of the course over the summer holidays and it made most of it a doss.

ReputationRep:
    We ALSO did GCSE in year 10 (let's start a club or something). Our teacher used the remainder of the year to teach us D1 in half a term. Then went straight into C1 and C2 in year 11, no screwing around.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.