Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how to make immune system stronger? Watch

ReputationRep:
    how do you go about making your immune system stronger?
    i'm not saying there is an apparent probelm with my immune system i just want to make it as strong as possible.

I take multivitamins(ones for hair & skin, nails) every day.. i also take 400mg vitamin c supplements every day.i also occasionally take Echinacea: supplements should i take them every day?.
    I do cardio workouts every day.
    I follow a really healthy diet.
    I get at least 8 hours sleep a night.
    i don't have caffeine or alcohal
    is there anything else i should be doing or can be doing?
    i am very paranoid about swine flu

thankyou in advance

prolonged exposure to outside eg cycling, hiking, kayaking - that way you're subjected to pathogens in small quanitities which your body can develop some immunity against

ReputationRep:
    Um, apart from what you've already said? I have quite a strong immune system naturally (despite having an unhealthy lifestyle) but I get sick when I accidentally knock off scabs and don't put that cream stuff on it. So yeah, don't do that (I realise this is probably rubbish advice, but yeah).

ReputationRep:
    Swine flu isn't going to kill you. It's just like normal flu

There are some herbal supplements like Einchea (can't spell) that claim to boost your immune system. You can buy them in the vitamen section in tesco.

Other than that you seem to have a normal lifestyle and seem pretty healthy so you should be fine.

The immune system develops as you grow so once your a certain age then I guess that's it. If you lived in a super clean home when you were young and weren't exposed to germs / bacteria then you'll have a worse immune system as your body hasn't had a chance to build it up.

ReputationRep:
    Jfgi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *BCM*)
    prolonged exposure to outside eg cycling, hiking, kayaking - that way you're subjected to pathogens in small quanitities which your body can develop some immunity against
    i jog for an hour 6 days a week ... does that count?

ReputationRep:
    to be honest thats pretty much all you can do

as long as you take it easy and get lots of fluid and rest if you do get ill, as nothing can really completely stop you from getting ill, its just recoverign better when you do

(Original post by mariangel)
    i jog for an hour 6 days a week ... does that count?
    most definitely yes, if it's outside lol :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *BCM*)
    most definitely yes, if it's outside lol :rolleyes:
    nah i jog for an hour in a circle in my living room :p:
    lol
    anyway thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    Oh, if you do get ill, try drinking some whiskey and coke if you have a fever. Go to sleep for 3 hours and you'll have sweated it out, at least that's how I do it. Works a charm.

ReputationRep:
    I've been wondering the same thing lately and found this article online: http://naturalmedicine.suite101.com/..._immune_health

ReputationRep:
    We all go through pain at some point (sorry :puppyeyes:), so I wouldn't worry yourself to any great degree while you are fine and seem to be living a much healthier lifestyle than most. After all, worrying can cause stress, which is bad for the immune system itself!

ReputationRep:
    I always take on a daily basis, chewable vitamin C and a Zinc vitamin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *BCM*)
    Yes he's right I cycle almost daily with my mom or my sister. It's a load of fun and it makes me feel healthier.

ReputationRep:
    Swine flu won't kill you usually, normal flu kills a lot of people but it's such a part of regular life now nobody is really told about the deaths. It's unpleasant and of course does have risks but it's nothing to fret about all the time.

The immune system can only be strengthened in reality by a healthy lifestyle and exposure to small amounts of pathogens. Well that's what I've been told. Don't be too paranoid about cleanliness, as long as you're sanitary and sensible, there's no real need for super cleansing detergents unless you're in a hospital.

ReputationRep:
    Everything seems good as long as you get some fresh air every day (that's important especially if your exercise is indoors.)

And tbh it's much better to get your vitamins/minerals direct from food, not in tablet form.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.