Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I got three chickens last Wednesday. This is them.

They are settling in well, but I am a bit worried about their poo. One of them has normal poo (as far as I know), but one of them has bright orange semi-hard poo and one has very watery poo!

Are there any chicken owners out there who may have some idea why this is?? They had normal poo for the first couple of days. I feed them layers pellets, a small amount of mixed corn and some greens (cabbage/marrow).

I thought it may be due to a diet change, or maybe just the stress of being rehomed??

ReputationRep:
    Not sure whether ducks and chickens are generally the same with this kind of thing, but I have a duck and her poo varies alot, even though she has pretty much the same diet all the time.

It varies between pure liquid, to more solid stuff, and then a mix of both. Colour also varies between watery clearish stuff to white and bright green. Shes in perfect health, so unless they are showing any other signs of being unwell or anything I wouldnt be too worried just yet.

Im waiting for someone to say something regarding bird flu though....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timetokill)
    Im waiting for someone to say something regarding bird flu though....
    BIRD FLU. Sorry :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Star*)
    BIRD FLU. Sorry :/
    Atleast you got in there first :p:

ReputationRep:
    oooooooooh boy you gon' get bird flu now

ReputationRep:
    All of a sudden ive got this hankering for KFC.........:yes:

ReputationRep:
    I have 3 chickens too

I feed mine the same sort of things- chicken poo tends to vary in appearance I wouldn't worry.

It may be the case that they are working out the pecking order, and this often involves one getting most of the food and one getting very little, just keep an eye on them when you give them the corn/veg and see if there is any bullying going on. If this is what's going on they'll work out their order in a week or so and the food thing should settle down.

Also remember, chickens are omnivores, the do need a small amount of meat in their diet (though obviously avoid giving them chicken as that's just wrong!) but scraps from your meal is fine.

Good luck with them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d.b.asf)
    I have 3 chickens too

I feed mine the same sort of things- chicken poo tends to vary in appearance I wouldn't worry.

It may be the case that they are working out the pecking order, and this often involves one getting most of the food and one getting very little, just keep an eye on them when you give them the corn/veg and see if there is any bullying going on. If this is what's going on they'll work out their order in a week or so and the food thing should settle down.

Also remember, chickens are omnivores, the do need a small amount of meat in their diet (though obviously avoid giving them chicken as that's just wrong!) but scraps from your meal is fine.

Good luck with them!
    Thank you, that's very helpful - it hadn't even crossed my mind that they might eat meat.

Having looked on the forums on the Eglu website, I'm not so worried about it anymore

ReputationRep:
    Don't feed them meat! I checked on several websites advising against giving them pork and other types of meat. The best meaty thing to give them is worms and other types of insects. When we give our chickens stuff like lettuce it makes their poo all watery but rice makes it much more firm.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    How's the taste?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely don't feed them meat. Our ones were actually fine with picking up voles and stuff, but they were a daft set. I'd personally cool the nerves for a couple of weeks - chickens have a little bit of a settling in period, where they get used to their surroundings and establish a pecking order. Once everything gets nice and comfortable - they learn where to lay, where to perch, etc - things should pick up.

And remember, soft egg shells mean that they haven't got enough calcium-based grit. Just for when you have to cross that bridge.

ReputationRep:
    Yep I agree with everyone else, no need to worry, they will settle in in time. Chickens are also very tough, they tend to go around nibbling on all sorts, so may just be something they've picked off the ground has upset their stomachs. The orange one could also be an unformed egg. And yes, please don't give them any meat!

ReputationRep:
    My **** tends to have poor control and has runny white secretions when excited.

ReputationRep:
    Good one...

ReputationRep:
    I love my chickens so its good to see another chicken keeper on here!
    Dont worry about the yellow runny poo - its kinda like their wee, as they only have one hole so everything must come from there!

I give mine meat occassionally - they love cold sausages and things like porriage and fresh fruit. Their fav is live mealworms though so i would deffo recomend getting some in for your girls...

A good place to go is the forum on http://www.bluelaced.co.uk/forum/phpBB3/ there are plenty of experience chicken/duck/geese/quail etc etc keepers which are always happy to help and give advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireAndIce)
    I love my chickens so its good to see another chicken keeper on here!
    Dont worry about the yellow runny poo - its kinda like their wee, as they only have one hole so everything must come from there!

I give mine meat occassionally - they love cold sausages and things like porriage and fresh fruit. Their fav is live mealworms though so i would deffo recomend getting some in for your girls...

A good place to go is the forum on http://www.bluelaced.co.uk/forum/phpBB3/ there are plenty of experience chicken/duck/geese/quail etc etc keepers which are always happy to help and give advice
    Oh, thank you for the link - I'll have a mooch around on there later

Where would I buy mealworms from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francesca88)

You might be able to get them from your local pet shop, My brother gets them for his gecko. Alternatively you can let the chucks dig your garden to find bugs themselves (but be warned- it will get wrecked very quickly!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francesca88)

Yeah I get mine from the pet shop =] They are quite cheap, and you only need to give them a few every other day or so as they can be fattening. Just give all treats in moderation 2bh, and they will destroy your flowerbeds and plant pots...

Oh and mine love to eat the flowers of Bizzy Lizzys so dot plant any becuase they will be gone in literally seconds!

I will send you a couple of pics of my "babies" if you want - they are abit different from yours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireAndIce)
    Yeah I get mine from the pet shop =] They are quite cheap, and you only need to give them a few every other day or so as they can be fattening. Just give all treats in moderation 2bh, and they will destroy your flowerbeds and plant pots...

Oh and mine love to eat the flowers of Bizzy Lizzys so dot plant any becuase they will be gone in literally seconds!

I will send you a couple of pics of my "babies" if you want - they are abit different from yours
    Yes please

I let mine out in the garden for the first time this evening, and they went straight for the jasmine!! haha

ReputationRep:

Tallulah(white) Morticia(black) and Maybeline(brown).

Have you named yours? Have they started laying yet?

They also love forget-me-nots, they destroyed ours completely.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.