Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=d.b.asfTallulah(white) Morticia(black) and Maybeline(brown).

Have you named yours? Have they started laying yet?

They also love forget-me-nots, they destroyed ours completely.[/QUOTE]

Haha! Brilliant names, Morticia's really suits her!! They're all gorgeous.

No, no names yet - I'm waiting for inspiration. They're quite boring chickens really, so I can't think of any good names based on their appearance.

They haven't started laying yet - the farmer we bought them from says he thinks they're only around 15-18 weeks, and I think they start laying from around 20?? So a few weeks to go yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francesca88)
    Haha! Brilliant names, Morticia's really suits her!! They're all gorgeous.

No, no names yet - I'm waiting for inspiration. They're quite boring chickens really, so I can't think of any good names based on their appearance.

They haven't started laying yet - the farmer we bought them from says he thinks they're only around 15-18 weeks, and I think they start laying from around 20?? So a few weeks to go yet

Ours took aaages to start laying, but now we get 3 every day.

Also, after a few weeks they really started to show different personalities which is very amusing (Tallulah is the bold one, she chases our dog!) maybe once yours start to show their personalities you might get more inspiration.

Let us know when you've thought of names! (am keeping this as a watched thread, I didn't realise quite so many people on here had chickens)

ReputationRep:
    Those look great although I wouldn't hold out hope based on what a farmer says, the bloke I bought my quails from said they'd lay by christmas, and they've never laid a single thing, right up until they were stolen last week! Yes really, someone nicked them. Or an incredibly dexterous fox worked out how to undo the catch on their hutch. So long Marilyn and Audrey!

Still, chickens are amazing pets, have fun! I might get myself some silkies or something now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GorgeousMatt)
    Those look great although I wouldn't hold out hope based on what a farmer says, the bloke I bought my quails from said they'd lay by christmas, and they've never laid a single thing, right up until they were stolen last week! Yes really, someone nicked them. Or an incredibly dexterous fox worked out how to undo the catch on their hutch. So long Marilyn and Audrey!

Still, chickens are amazing pets, have fun! I might get myself some silkies or something now.
    Oh dear, were they definitely female?! I'd love to have quails, are they expensive? Although you wouldn't get a decent fried egg sandwich with a quail egg would you :p:

Sadly, theft of poultry is getting more and more common as it becomes more popular to keep them as 'pets'.

You should get some silkies - they're gorgeous!

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, were they definitely female?! I'd love to have quails, are they expensive? Although you wouldn't get a decent fried egg sandwich with a quail egg would you :p:

Sadly, theft of poultry is getting more and more common as it becomes more popular to keep them as 'pets'.

You should get some silkies - they're gorgeous!
    Nah they were cheap, think I paid a tenner for three. I also bought some really pretty chickens which were black with white spots at the same time, but my sister managed to let them escape in the first week! We still see them wandering around the village

You can also buy quails eggs (as well as chickens, ducks etc) which will hatch on ebay, search for 'hatching eggs' and it's something like £6-10 for six. Think you'll need an incubating light and whatnot, but wouldn't it be cool hatching your own!

I was looking at chocolate Indian runner ducks, they kind of stand up tall, I want a flock of those running around!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GorgeousMatt)
    Nah they were cheap, think I paid a tenner for three. I also bought some really pretty chickens which were black with white spots at the same time, but my sister managed to let them escape in the first week! We still see them wandering around the village

You can also buy quails eggs (as well as chickens, ducks etc) which will hatch on ebay, search for 'hatching eggs' and it's something like £6-10 for six. Think you'll need an incubating light and whatnot, but wouldn't it be cool hatching your own!

I was looking at chocolate Indian runner ducks, they kind of stand up tall, I want a flock of those running around!
    Aw, I'm surprised nothing has happened to them! Do you not get many foxes where you live?

I really wanted to hatch my own eggs, but we have five cats so didn't think having a bunch of chicks running around was a good idea

ReputationRep:
    They'd be fine in a hutch or something, I reckon.

Not many foxes, mainly because everyone around here has completely ignored the hunting legislation. My friend had some guinea fowl wandering around his farm for ages (they just turned up one day) and they never got eaten.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.