Turn on thread page Beta

Me Again- 22.1miles in 6 weeks watch

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm a regular walker... but not this distance and not competitive.

My current walking spend is about 3 mph, pretty average, so going to get me err... last in the U20.

But right now I want to be able to walk that distance, nevermind competitively. So, basically, I've got around seven weeks, but I want it to be managable by six.

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Apart from time, sanity and logic... what's stopping you from walking that distance? It would take a while but...

Anyway, 22.1 is too much for a beginner anyway, stick to 22.0; that's much better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Apart from time, sanity and logic... what's stopping you from walking that distance? It would take a while but...

Anyway, 22.1 is too much for a beginner anyway, stick to 22.0; that's much better.
    Okay, I want to be able to complete it in under five hours, thats the maximum time you're allowed. And why 22 instead?

ReputationRep:
    Because 22.1 is ridiculous, no one walks 22.1!!! Honestly, stick to 22.0 it's better for novices/beginners in training. Get a decent time for 22.0 then slowly work your way up to 22.1.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Because 22.1 is ridiculous, no one walks 22.1!!! Honestly, stick to 22.0 it's better for novices/beginners in training. Get a decent time for 22.0 then slowly work your way up to 22.1.

Good luck.
    Why cut off .1 of a mile seriously?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, you have to figure some things out for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    where are you walking anyway, through the woods or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manx1991)
    Why cut off .1 of a mile seriously?
    Something tells me he's taking the piss because you were very precise with the distance :p: :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ey? What you want exactly? 22 miles is easily walkable..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisLincoln)
    Ey? What you want exactly? 22 miles is easily walkable..
    To be able to walk it in under 5 hours, without dying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DSC)
    where are you walking anyway, through the woods or something
    It's a local event, to walk from one end of the island to the other which is around 49miles but because I'm U20 I'm only allowed to do half the distance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foster)
    Something tells me he's taking the piss because you were very precise with the distance :p: :p:
    And something tells me I was being very blonde right then :p:

ReputationRep:
    To be able to walk it in under 5 hours, without dying
    Well first off, have you tried walking 22 miles at your normal pace and timing it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisLincoln)
    Well first off, have you tried walking 22 miles at your normal pace and timing it?
    No, tops I've done is 10miles and that took 5 hours but only because we weren't exactly rushing and kept stopping.

ReputationRep:
    No, tops I've done is 10miles and that took 5 hours but only because we weren't exactly rushing and kept stopping.
    Well get off the computer and get going. It doesn't matter how long it takes you, just whack on an ipod. And start walking at a solid steady pace. Once you know how long it takes you, you know what you have to work on.

People always seem to ask "how can i get better at doing this" "how can i get better at doing that". And i know it seems silly, but the answer is 99.9% of the time. Practice doing it..

If you wanna walk 22 miles in 5 hours, then you best start walking 22 miles! Then you can do it faster steadily over the next 6 weeks and you'll be sorted.

ReputationRep:
    10 miles in 5 hours? Did you crawl?

When I was 11 me and my friends did 21 miles on the oxfam walk, which was cross country and up and down hills in about 8 hours, which included an hour and a half break for lunch, AND we weren't exactly going for it.
    Oh, and we were 11 and had short legs.
    I got really bad sunburn as well.
    But anyway, what I'm trying to say, is that you should practice walking faster.
    Maybe break it down into chunks, say spending 2.5 hours each day walking as fast as possible and trying to go more than 11 miles in that time, do that for a few days then gradually increase the time and distance you're walking in accordance with your target, so.. 13.2 miles in 3 hours, 17.6 miles in 4 hours etc etc. over the next few weeks.
    Just keep practicing.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.