ReputationRep:
    Mixed.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Mixed.

/thread
    this

however if you were to do just a single martial art, muay thai is a good base, avoid any mcdojos where you see 12 year olds walking around with black belts, they are a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by basketofsnakes)
    this

however if you were to do just a single martial art, can't go wrong with muay thai, avoid any mcdojos where you see 12 year olds walking around with black belts, they are a joke.
    Yeah I agree. But where are you going to find a Muay Thai school in this country?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Mixed.

/thread
    That burger looks amazing...

ReputationRep:
    i'm already doing wing chun but i just wanted to get peoples opinions on what they thought was best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ennC)
    Yeah I agree. But where are you going to find a Muay Thai school in this country?
    they are around, you just need to look, google is your friend

ReputationRep:
    this

however if you were to do just a single martial art, muay thai is a good base, avoid any mcdojos where you see 12 year olds walking around with black belts, they are a joke.
    Muay Thai is ok and it will get you in good shape. But I think BJJ might be a more useful and practical martial art.

In the early days of UFC, when everyone tried to stick to their own style, BJJ dominated.

But I don't know what the OP's goals are; maybe it's just fitness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cousto)
    i'm already doing wing chun but i just wanted to get peoples opinions on what they thought was best
    Ok, I like muay thai because it seems to be a hard and direct fighting style which also uses all parts of the body as a weapon. The conditioning of a thai fighter seems to be very good, including physical toughness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Muay Thai is ok and it will get you in good shape. But I think BJJ might be a more useful and practical martial art.

In the early days of UFC, when everyone tried to stick to their own style, BJJ dominated.

But I don't know what the OP's goals are; maybe it's just fitness.
    yeah I agree BJJ is a very good style, especially for 1 on 1 situations, but you need to be careful about taking it to the ground in street fights as anyone can step in, it all depends on what the OP's goals are, if it's for sport, fitness, or self defence.

ReputationRep:
    yeah I agree BJJ is a very good style, especially for 1 on 1 situations, but you need to be careful about taking it to the ground in street fights as anyone can step in, it all depends on what the OP's goals are, if it's for sport, fitness, or self defence.
    Good point.

ReputationRep:
    Like all martial arts gyms, there are a **** load of mcdojos out there.

Where do you live? IF your looking for a BJJ/Muay thai/No-gi/mma gym, I'd highly reccomend posting your request on cagewarriors.com/forums and ask on there, as the forum will lead you to your answers alot better than on here for looking for gyms or what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    anyone else

ReputationRep:
    i train ufc imma black belt it gives me teh jacked fibraz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LicenseToKimJongIll)
    i train ufc imma black belt it gives me teh jacked fibraz
    I already have my black belt in UFC brah, now I'm training Strikeforce and have a purple belt

fecalpheliac
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    what do you want from it? If you want a proper martial art, that teaches control and discipline, then something like ju jitsu or one of the karates, taught properly. Basically - any 'martial art' that uses padding/shoes/gloves on a routine basis isn't teaching control and discipline. If you just want to appear hard and learn how to do damage without any discipline, see most of the above recommendations or other cage/ultimate/mixed/WWE/total rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    It's not so much about the martial art, but more about the fighter. You can choose the 'best' martial art and still be **** at fighting. Personally I think it would be good to get a base down, as you would be surprised at how many people don't know how to throw a proper punch, so doing something like boxing would be the most beneficial (this could be swapped with Kick Koxing/Muay Thai as they are all boxing based).

Personally, I do Taekwondo. I know a lot of people think it's a mickey mouse martial art, but those people are the ones who watch the Olympics and too many Bruce Lee movies and who know nothing about actually fighting. It is also about the teacher. My instructor is very very good, as so I get the most of TKD. I also get 'coached' by my brother, who does Kick Boxing, so I get a broad base.

I would stay away from throwing/grappling martial arts to begin with (Jujitsu, BJJ, Judo) and start with a striking martial art as if you are in a street fight, unless the group of attackers are particularly nice, you will not have the luxury of a 1v1 and therefore if you take someone to the ground it would mean that you would get pummeled in the process.

I'm not overly confident in MMA gyms to be honest. MMA fighting makes you the jack of all trades, king of nothing - they're more about honing your skills than teaching you new ones. Also there are a lot of 'McDojos' out there riding on the back of recent waves of UFC interest, so take MMA gyms with a pinch of salt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    what do you want from it? If you want a proper martial art, that teaches control and discipline, then something like ju jitsu or one of the karates, taught properly. Basically - any 'martial art' that uses padding/shoes/gloves on a routine basis isn't teaching control and discipline. If you just want to appear hard and learn how to do damage without any discipline, see most of the above recommendations or other cage/ultimate/mixed/WWE/total rubbish.
    retarded, since when does muay thai, BJJ, judo, wrestling etc not teach any discipline? Comparing WWE to mma is the dumbest thing I have ever heard, don't talk about something you know nothing about you just end up looking like an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    wing chun is the best, check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qhPDEOYbx4.

ReputationRep:
    Taekwondo is my fav, got to black belt dan 1.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.