Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have decided to do MCSE over the summer and i was wondering if there are any resources which would be helpful to help me kick off with the course. The problem is that there are soooooo many books/cds out there that i have no idea where to start off from.

So my questions are :
    a) What and how many modules do i have to do to get an MCSE
    b) On average, what does it cost?
    c) Which books should i look at?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Look at the microsoft book, you can download practice tests for *free* and each exam costs £88 (without the course, price varies), I don't know how many are needed though.

ReputationRep:
    Dont go straight to the MCSE its harder than what you think and not really useful unless you have some experience.

Do quals like CompTIA A+ and MCDST/ MCITP/ MCTS/ MCP if you have no experience.

Google is your friend they are forums for these sort of certifications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcp2)
    Look at the microsoft book, you can download practice tests for *free* and each exam costs £88 (without the course, price varies), I don't know how many are needed though.
    Thanks for replying, which microsoft book are u referring to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nojoegohome)
    Dont go straight to the MCSE its harder than what you think and not really useful unless you have some experience.

Do quals like CompTIA A+ and MCDST/ MCITP/ MCTS/ MCP if you have no experience.

Google is your friend they are forums for these sort of certifications.
    Right. I wanna do something in networking. Where should i start off from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizz_kid)
    Right. I wanna do something in networking. Where should i start off from?
    Looked at Cisco CCNA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -G-a-v-)
    Looked at Cisco CCNA?
    Yea.
    Some 1 said that mcse is actualy easier than CCNA so i thought of doing mcse first and then ccna. But some 1 suggested doing something else before doing mcse. So i dont know where to start off from.

ReputationRep:
    CCNA's not really something you can fully learn from a book, though. You do need the hands-on experience with the hardware to supplement it.

ReputationRep:
    CCNA.... is boring without actually getting stuck in with routers and switches.
    but at the end, it is an achievement knowing you have a decent qualification
    (even though it expires after 3 years)

ReputationRep:
    I would only do the cisco courses if you have access to the hardware and in a work environment otherwise it would be v.difficult to learn.

Here are the microsoft press books

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/books/default.mspx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    CCNA's not really something you can fully learn from a book, though. You do need the hands-on experience with the hardware to supplement it.
    Right. Which certificate would u recommend me to start off with?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Right. Which certificate would u recommend me to start off with?

Thanks!
    The question is, are you doing this as something to do, or are you looking at improving your CV?

ReputationRep:
    The question is, are you doing this as something to do, or are you looking at improving your CV?
    Both!
    Coz ive always been good at computers and networking is an interesting field. So by doing a certified training, i wanted to further myself. I just dunno where to start off from.

ReputationRep:
    Both!
    Coz ive always been good at computers and networking is an interesting field. So by doing a certified training, i wanted to further myself. I just dunno where to start off from.
    CompTIA Network + its a general network qual but i suggest you get the comptia A+ first thats a general computer qual

no point in CCNA unless you actually use cisco stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I'll second that A+ to Network+ progression path. They're both vendor neutral qualifications which will give you a good general understanding of how computers and networks work.

ReputationRep:
    I'll second that A+ to Network+ progression path. They're both vendor neutral qualifications which will give you a good general understanding of how computers and networks work.
    Thanks for the reply! I think i now what to do (sort of!). Btw, do u know if it is possible to download an evaluation copy of Windows 2003 Server please?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply! I think i now what to do (sort of!). Btw, do u know if it is possible to download an evaluation copy of Windows 2003 Server please?

Thanks.
    Not legitimately... I may be wrong, though. If you know anyone at uni on a Comp Sci course (with MSDNAA access) they could probably get you a licence key

ReputationRep:
    i think if there were windows server downloads, they would be pushing newer versions, such as 2008.

ReputationRep:
    Not legitimately... I may be wrong, though. If you know anyone at uni on a Comp Sci course (with MSDNAA access) they could probably get you a licence key
    I think i can find sum 1 whoz doin comp sci at uni

(Original post by alexsheppard11)
    i think if there were windows server downloads, they would be pushing newer versions, such as 2008.

Yea! There are trial downloads for windows server 2008 but it is a shame that i cant use it coz the mcse study support that i have is for windows server 2003!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.