Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am having a real dilemma...

Newcastle is my firm (I had to select it as firm for the Partners scheme)
    Northumbria is my insurance.

I really don't know which one I want to go on...Can anyone please offer me some advice? Big differences? Perhaps people who have been on either course or are just generally better researched than I am!?

Thank you so much, I am panicking! Haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam8910)
    I am having a real dilemma...

Newcastle is my firm (I had to select it as firm for the Partners scheme)
    Northumbria is my insurance.

I really don't know which one I want to go on...Can anyone please offer me some advice? Big differences? Perhaps people who have been on either course or are just generally better researched than I am!?

Thank you so much, I am panicking! Haha

Well if you've put Newcastle as you're firm you have to go there if you meet the offer conditions. I was going to apply through Partners for Law but decided I liked Northumbria's course better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heir-Head)
    Well if you've put Newcastle as you're firm you have to go there if you meet the offer conditions. I was going to apply through Partners for Law but decided I liked Northumbria's course better.
    I don't have to go anywhere! :p: I am quite sure one of them will want my money rather than me not going to uni at all haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam8910)
    I don't have to go anywhere! :p: I am quite sure one of them will want my money rather than me not going to uni at all haha
    But that's generally the point of putting a firm and insurance choice, otherwise it would be a free for all. Some places make it quite difficult for you to get out of going there once you've met the requirements. If you weren't sure, you should have done more research and decided if Partners was right for you.

ReputationRep:
    Northumbria.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm afraid heir head is right, because its all done through the UCAS system if you meet the conditions of Newcastle you can't then just turn around and say you want to go to your inurance choice instead. The fact that you're paying them money won't have a lot to do with it, if universities were just a money making excercise then Cambridge and Oxford would take in over a million new students every year.

If you really strongly wanted to go to your insurance choice then you can phone them up on results day to ask, but it would depend if they have too many or too few people making their grades. They don't have to take you just because they were your insurance choice and because the government now has less money, a lot of uni's have had their funding cut but weren't told until after they'd made a lot of offers, so now places may not be able to afford to take all the people they would otherwise like.

On a positive note, while I don't know much about the two uni's I've heard good things about Newcastle from people who go there and its a slightly more respected department.

ReputationRep:
    Wellll. I sat my Partners exam today. (because I got sent home during the summer school due to swine flu lol) we shall see. I really want to go to Newcastle. Had a bit of pre-exam wobbles I think. *fingers crossed*

ReputationRep:
    I live in the area and can tell you that Newcastle is a far better university than Northumbria from an academic perspective, but the latter is improving a lot. Newcastle have better facilities, staff and library. Nevertheless, you will enjoy yourself irrespective of the university you study at.

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle wanted meeeeeee lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.