Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Curious, when did you send a letter to the university? Or when have you been advised to if you are going to? And if you are comfortable with sharing, what were they?
    Thanks .

ReputationRep:
    Mine was put in my teacher's reference, if they want anything else (eg doc's notes, or police reports, they'll ask for it )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antimatter)
    Mine was put in my teacher's reference, if they want anything else (eg doc's notes, or police reports, they'll ask for it )
    Well i sort of meant during exam period .
    Sorry i didn't make that clear but thankyou for your reply .
    (unless i've misinterpreted what you have said, if so..sorry!)

ReputationRep:
    Before the exams ideally or until two weeks later.

ReputationRep:
    When I was sitting my AS level exams, I was under the supervision of a neurologist. If you want special consideration, you must give a letter from your doctor, consultant or anyone at all who you will think is important to your exams officer.

Also, make sure that you tell tutors, senior pastoral managers, whatever you have. Whilst this is embarassing and emotional- I cried several times- it meant that it was mentioned in my university references, thus explaining some odd results.

Write off letters to your universities if you feel comfortable doing this. Obviously, if it has been mentioned in your references, this won't be necessary, but it can definately help with a sense of security.

Good luck, if you need any help or advice, please pm me.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, sorry, just read Redefined's post. If this has not been done by now, please do it as soon as you go back to college. It probably won't affect your exam results, but it can be included in your references.

ReputationRep:
    I sent a letter a couple weeks back, got a response about 5-7 days saying it'd be considered if I miss my offer.

(Oh i had a letter before hand too which just went to the exam boards, I don't think they do anything for longer term things though..)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozziie)
    When I was sitting my AS level exams, I was under the supervision of a neurologist. If you want special consideration, you must give a letter from your doctor, consultant or anyone at all who you will think is important to your exams officer.

Also, make sure that you tell tutors, senior pastoral managers, whatever you have. Whilst this is embarassing and emotional- I cried several times- it meant that it was mentioned in my university references, thus explaining some odd results.

Write off letters to your universities if you feel comfortable doing this. Obviously, if it has been mentioned in your references, this won't be necessary, but it can definitely help with a sense of security.

Good luck, if you need any help or advice, please pm me.
    Hi sorry just need to ask some questions bout this if that is ok .
    By reference do you mean UCAS reference that went with my personal statement?
    Some stuff was mentioned in my UCAS reference but a lot of things happened after which really affected my results.

The exam board though has been sent a letter and i had a doctors letter etc...I don't know how much the doctors letter will be of use though, it was well written but they couldn't give out too much information because it would be breaching someone elses confidentiality.

I was then going to send a letter to the university but was told there was no need until a week before exam results are due because the universities generally don't want details before then anyway...but then most other places im reading on the internet would all like details well in advanced so i'm getting quite anxious and uncertain...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mituozo)
    I sent a letter a couple weeks back, got a response about 5-7 days saying it'd be considered if I miss my offer.

(Oh i had a letter before hand too which just went to the exam boards, I don't think they do anything for longer term things though..)
    Hmm, what did you include within the letter you sent may i ask ? A reference and letter from yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    Hi sorry just need to ask some questions bout this if that is ok .
    By reference do you mean UCAS reference that went with my personal statement?
    Some stuff was mentioned in my UCAS reference but a lot of things happened after which really affected my results.

The exam board though has been sent a letter and i had a doctors letter etc...I don't know how much the doctors letter will be of use though, it was well written but they couldn't give out too much information because it would be breaching someone elses confidentiality.

I was then going to send a letter to the university but was told there was no need until a week before exam results are due because the universities generally don't want details before then anyway...but then most other places im reading on the internet would all like details well in advanced so i'm getting quite anxious and uncertain...

Your references are the ones that went off with your UCAS application.

If you don't mind me asking, did the stuff that happened that'd have affected your exam results happen before or after the exams?

The doctors letter- if they need any more information, they will contact your doctor. My experience of this is that they just needed to know that I had been with the consultant.

Is the university that you are applying to York? In any case, ensure that you have this prepared. Make sure the letter does get sent, and that they do recieve it.

ReputationRep:
    someone told me i should have done this last year during my AS exams, but i guess im pretty tough on myself as i just figured everyone has problems and moved on...hope i didn't unnecessarily shoot myself in the foot, it just didn't occur to me to do this ... :/

ReputationRep:
    Your references are the ones that went off with your UCAS application.

If you don't mind me asking, did the stuff that happened that'd have affected your exam results happen before or after the exams?

The doctors letter- if they need any more information, they will contact your doctor. My experience of this is that they just needed to know that I had been with the consultant.

Is the university that you are applying to York? In any case, ensure that you have this prepared. Make sure the letter does get sent, and that they do recieve it.
    Well every exam period unfortunate circumstances have occurred that have affected my exams. Like something happened the night before one of my maths exams in January and resulted in me getting an E when i should have got an A...I never minded so much though because i just worked hard to retake .

This June though uh..things went a bit out of control and lasted beginning of April -> End of June...

So in my UCAS reference it was just mentioned i've had a difficult time but worked hard to overcome it by staying after school to do work etc. No specifics were given.

I'm applying to Edinburgh . Couldn't find anything on their site though in regards to computer science and what they prefer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gallabay)
    someone told me i should have done this last year during my AS exams, but i guess im pretty tough on myself as i just figured everyone has problems and moved on...hope i didn't unnecessarily shoot myself in the foot, it just didn't occur to me to do this ... :/
    Yeah, i never bothered with AS because i always felt i could have just retaken ...and i don't like doing this kind of thing anyway...i had to be persuaded.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i never bothered with AS because i always felt i could have just retaken ...and i don't like doing this kind of thing anyway...i had to be persuaded.
    i end up feeling guilty that im moaning about stuff - i figure what other people are going through is usually worse than my own, and hey, im doing okay right? I get like a thought banner "Just deal with it man!"

God help me on results day :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gallabay)
    i end up feeling guilty that im moaning about stuff - i figure what other people are going through is usually worse than my own, and hey, im doing okay right? I get like a thought banner "Just deal with it man!"

God help me on results day :P
    Tis what i was doing...until my head of 6th form was shocked and told me to move out of home lol...then i started to realize just how serious the situation was...but i suppose when you're in it yeah you are just thinking 'there are people going through worse, wth am i complaining about?' and get on with it .
    Good luck with results!

ReputationRep:
    Well every exam period unfortunate circumstances have occurred that have affected my exams. Like something happened the night before one of my maths exams in January and resulted in me getting an E when i should have got an A...I never minded so much though because i just worked hard to retake .

This June though uh..things went a bit out of control and lasted beginning of April -> End of June...

So in my UCAS reference it was just mentioned i've had a difficult time but worked hard to overcome it by staying after school to do work etc. No specifics were given.

I'm applying to Edinburgh . Couldn't find anything on their site though in regards to computer science and what they prefer.
    Ahh, I had *issues* with York for History. If you are really concerned, write a letter in to the admissions tutors. To be honest, in your situation, I would, purely because it is such a competative course. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, I had *issues* with York for History. If you are really concerned, write a letter in to the admissions tutors. To be honest, in your situation, I would, purely because it is such a competative course. Good luck!
    Ah, what kind of issues if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, what kind of issues if you don't mind me asking?
    Of course I don't mind, if it'll help someone else then I'm happy to tell.

Basically, it was a very over subscribed year, and I just didn't get in. I sent letters and phoned up York they said that my grades weren't up to scratch, ergo I didn't get in. I can understand this, and whilst it was a disappointment (I was looking at York as an insurance) its just something that happens. I didn't follow it up, and I wouldn't say that anyone shouldn't apply to York because of my one bad experience, but it was an issue for me briefly. Luckily Oxford did not have the same problem.

I can only wish everyone in this thread who has had difficulty with their exams the very best of luck with their results

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, what did you include within the letter you sent may i ask ? A reference and letter from yourself?
    Well mine was all concerning an operation I had just before exam period. I just sent a letter from myself explaining everything that'd happened and the effects etc, and that I can supply all the appropriate medical documentation if required.

ReputationRep:
    what qualifies as extenuating circumstances?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.