Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

EMA is anyone in this situation? Watch

ReputationRep:
    i havnt been payed ema scince the 3rd of july and havnt missed a day at school scince. is anyone else in this situation and what should i do?? no bonus either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayn)
    i havnt been payed ema scince the 3rd of july and havnt missed a day at school scince. is anyone else in this situation and what should i do?? no bonus either.
    Talk to your school?

ReputationRep:
    In before "OMG STFU AT LEAST YOU GET IT!" :rolleyes:
    Just phone them up, it was probably a screw up on their part. Even if they can't put it right, there's no harm in trying.

ReputationRep:
    Once again, stop whinging about not getting your free money for your free education.

If you really needed it, you wouldn't have been able to go to school since you stopped getting paid it.

Do the obvious thing, phone your school/email them. And Bonuses aren't until this friday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donks169)
    And Bonuses aren't until this friday.
    sure about that?

ReputationRep:
    Once again, stop whinging about not getting your free money for your free education.

If you really needed it, you wouldn't have been able to go to school since you stopped getting paid it.

Do the obvious thing, phone your school/email them. And Bonuses aren't until this friday.
    shut up i was jw. and i dont need it the only reason i get it is because my parents split. ******* hell i wont bother asking a ******* question again.

ReputationRep:

Why don't you back off a little?
    You know nothing about the OP's financial situation so you can't really draw any conclusions at al.

They weren't moaning, they were just asking for some advice.

ReputationRep:

Well said. :p:

ReputationRep:

Damn that's a good point actually :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meagz)
    Damn that's a good point actually :holmes:
    Not really, perhaps every month they buy a bus pass to get them there and back and they bought their last one on the 1st of this month.

We know nothing about the OP's situation so let's try not to judge and all try and grow up a bit.

ReputationRep:

My school provided a bus for all its pupils. I still got ema.

ReputationRep:
    EMA is like a miracle for me; I come from a very poor background and I have to pay for most stuff myself, so it allowed me a bit more freedom in my life as regards to working. Don't jump to conclusions about people leeching from the government for no good reason; some do, obviously, but I think you'll find that many don't.
    And to the OP: I've already got my bonus, but I think they come at different times (I know people who got theirs two weeks before mine, and two weeks after) so I reccomend you just phone them up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinsula)
    EMA is like a miracle for me; I come from a very poor background and I have to pay for most stuff myself, so it allowed me a bit more freedom...
    Agreed. I have said this before in another thread but EMA allowed me to go to prom, buy a year book and attend my advanced higher english trip to go and see Othello. These are things I would not have been able to do had I not recieved EMA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ithinkitslametodance)
    Agreed. I have said this before in another thread but EMA allowed me to go to prom, buy a year book and attend my advanced higher english trip to go and see Othello. These are things I would not have been able to do had I not recieved EMA.
    I'm so glad we (the tax payer) incurred this expense. Heaven forbid you miss a social event or can't buy a book with the "most likely to end up in prison award".

2 out of the 3 items you listed are not essential. Can we have our money back please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    I'm so glad we (the tax payer) incurred this expense. Heaven forbid you miss a social event or can't buy a book with the "most likely to end up in prison award".

2 out of the 3 items you listed are not essential. Can we have our money back please?
    I helped organise those things. It would have been gutting if I didn't have to chance to go.

Your money? My family pays tax too as will I.

ReputationRep:
    I helped organise those things. It would have been gutting if I didn't have to chance to go.

Your money? My family pays tax too as will I.
    Congratulations then.

Hopefully one day, the Government will pay me to go out and then buy silly books.

Also, I wouldn't have lost any sleep if I didn't help partly pay for you to attend your prom. I assure you.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations then.

Hopefully one day, the Government will pay me to go out and then buy silly books.

Also, I wouldn't have lost any sleep if I didn't help partly pay for you to attend your prom. I assure you.
    So if the goverment did give you money to go and buy silly books then you would accept it?

I don't see the wrong I'm doing here.

Should I have refused the money?

ReputationRep:
    So if the goverment did give you money to go and buy silly books then you would accept it?

I don't see the wrong I'm doing here.

Should I have refused the money?
    No.

You should have used it for its intended purposes. I'm sure an extra text book or educational visit would have provided far more value for the tax paying public.

I'm not criticising you, more the system. Of course you're going to accept it. Who wouldn't. I was in 6th form a few years ago. We all lived local to the school and they also provided all books and so forth. I don't know one person who regularly used EMA for its intended purposes. It went on clothes, nights out and alcohol.

Perhaps if you need something, you should have to submit a claim form for it that the school/college admin department assess and deal with it. I know there would be a lot of paperwork involved but I would rather foot the bill for that than a system that is open to abuse.

ReputationRep:
    No.

You should have used it for its intended purposes. I'm sure an extra text book or educational visit would have provided far more value for the tax paying public.
    If ever I needed anything for school then I used EMA.

Anyway. This is now just a derail and has been done to death a billion times.

I'm sure we could let it sink.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    Seriously, just let it go. No amount of whining on a forum is going to change anything. OP asked for advice, not a bleeding lecture.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.