Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    To become dependant on something suggests a weakness from that person. Are strong willed people less likely to become addicted to things?

ReputationRep:
    I guess so, though thats not to say strong minded people are invunerable from addiction.

ReputationRep:
    There's more than just a psychological addiction to some drugs: there's a physiological addiction too. So I wouldn't say that it is weak willed to become addicted. However, if an addict wants to give up, and has appropriate support and everything, and can't give up (or relapses), then I think they are weak willed.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say so, yes.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what they're addicted to and the history that led to the addiction. It's not possible to make such a sweeping generalisation.

ReputationRep:
    As much as I know (having studied it) that some drugs are physically addictive, I still tend to lean towards the fact that people who are addicted to certain things are weak minded.

Substance and situation dependant obviously, but I think weak mindedness can be a big part of some addictions yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chidona)
    Depends on what they're addicted to and the history that led to the addiction. It's not possible to make such a sweeping generalisation.
    Obviously we are unable to analyse every single case of addiction. What is wrong with generalisations? Especially when they are generally correct?

If I was to say it is generally cold and wet in England would you pull me up for that as you require the precise statistics for everything?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on education, childhood, social background...

I guess you're more likely to be vunerable if your parents are alcoholics/drug addicts etc. You can't help it to an extent.

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily, the addiction might be too strong for them to overcome. I think getting addicted in the first place shows a weakness in judgement though.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say strong willed people are less likely to become addicted, one of the strongest willed people I had ever met went on to have an alcohol addiction. Once you get into an addicition it is a hell of a lot harder to get back out of again and to get out of it you do need to be strong willed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
    I wouldn't say strong willed people are less likely to become addicted, one of the strongest willed people I had ever met went on to have an alcohol addiction. Once you get into an addicition it is a hell of a lot harder to get back out of again and to get out of it you do need to be strong willed.
    So you'd say weak people are less likely to get out of an addictive habit? I'm inclined to agree with that.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so. When you're in a certain situation, it's difficult to think of anything other than what you're addicted to.

It's easy for someone to look at an alcoholic or chronic smoker and call them weak. And yet, they don't know the circumstances these people might be under.

So no, I wouldn't call them weak.

ReputationRep:
    They are weak for getting addicted in the first place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skadoosh)
    I don't think so. When you're in a certain situation, it's difficult to think of anything other than what you're addicted to.

It's easy for someone to look at an alcoholic or chronic smoker and call them weak. And yet, they don't know the circumstances these people might be under.

So no, I wouldn't call them weak.
    Surely, regardless of the situation, a strong willed person would be less likely to succumb to an addiction than a relatively weak person?

ReputationRep:
    Not weak, just alot of the time, peopel that are addicted to things, have psychological issues to blame for them. The substances that they are addicted to are used as coping mechanisms. It's sad but true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Surely, regardless of the situation, a strong willed person would be less likely to succumb to an addiction than a relatively weak person?
    Well, how strong is strong?

ReputationRep:
    I've always thought so to be honest, but obviously it depends on the situation. But surely a person needs to be very strong to overcome an addiction, especially with heroin.

ReputationRep:
    What about the 'cool' appeal of drugs for example.

The popular kids at my college do drugs whereas people like me don't because I'm not 'cool' lol. Same with smoking at secondary school for example. I wouldn't consider them to be weak but adventurous and rebellious maybe? I guess this is when the addictions start.

Although, you could argue I'm the weak one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    So you'd say weak people are less likely to get out of an addictive habit? I'm inclined to agree with that.
    Yeah, it's pretty logical tbh.

If you have strong willpower, you can do anything. My dad quit smoking cold turkey. So he had to have alot of willpower.

ReputationRep:
    Some rather unfair responses for TSR!

People with addictions shouldn't be so harshly criticised, they are usually exposed to horrible social pressures when they begin to become psychologically addicted and chemical addictions are purely biological and more concrete than addictions of only the mind.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.