Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Obviously we are unable to analyse every single case of addiction. What is wrong with generalisations? Especially when they are generally correct?

If I was to say it is generally cold and wet in England would you pull me up for that as you require the precise statistics for everything?
    There's a wealth of difference between saying 'the weather in England is usually poo' and 'people with addictions are "weak minded"', so don't be daft.

How can we be sure that this generalisation is 'generally' correct? Have you read any studies into this, what's your evidence? What's a 'weak' mind? What's a 'strong' mind? What conditions are we talking about here? Does culture have an impact? How do you define an addiction in this scenario?

I'm not being a prick, I'm just pointing out that there is a lot to consider and a lot of variables - which will make it difficult to make a sweeping generalisation - which could be highly upsetting to people with actual addictions (which, let's be honest, some people on TSR have).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nouvelle vague)
    What about the 'cool' appeal of drugs for example.

The popular kids at my college do drugs whereas people like me don't because I'm not 'cool' lol. Same with smoking at secondary school for example. I wouldn't consider them to be weak but adventurous and rebellious maybe? I guess this is when the addictions start.

Although, you could argue I'm the weak one.
    Trust me, you're cooler than anyone using drugs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chidona)
    There's a wealth of difference between saying 'the weather in England is usually poo' and 'people with addictions are "weak minded"', so don't be daft.

How can we be sure that this generalisation is 'generally' correct? Have you read any studies into this, what's your evidence? What's a 'weak' mind? What's a 'strong' mind? What conditions are we talking about here? Does culture have an impact? How do you define an addiction in this scenario?

I'm not being a prick, I'm just pointing out that there is a lot to consider and a lot of variables - which will make it difficult to make a sweeping generalisation - which could be highly upsetting to people with actual addictions (which, let's be honest, some people on TSR have).
    You make some good points. I wasn't trying to be offensive before by the way. I read it back and I seemed a little arsey.

ReputationRep:
    lol at the people who say "they arent weak minded they just have physcological problems to deal with (and therefore turn to addictive substances)."

... Am I the only one who finds statements like this hilariously stupid?

Argh, similiarly, people who say "well its not really their fault as most of the time its social backround, education, upbringing..." etc.

... Where does responsibilty for one's actions ever come into this type of idea?

EDIT: Also this needs a poll!

ReputationRep:
    House is addicted to vicodin, Sherlock Holmes was addicted to tobacco, but they're far from weak minded....although I guess using fictional characters as an example has it's flaws....

ReputationRep:
    yeah... chemical addictions... the people arent weak minded

psychological ones, probs even harder to overcome, as you are fighting yourself

but then you get things like OCD, which are much worse than addictions, but all the same psychological ones

so, treading on eggshells here...

ReputationRep:
    It might sound silly, but I have a really... 'addictive' personality.
    I get into habits very easy, like cracking my knuckles, biting my nails, etc (which I managed to stop) which suggests to me I should never try any hard drugs! :rolleyes:
    I guess it might have something to do with genetics

ReputationRep:
    I think we're all dependent on something; something that, if lost, we'd find it hard to cope. Sometimes it's more obvious, i.e. with drug addiction, but it could so easily be something far more subtle like money or success (things that aren't wrong in themselves, but can come to rule someone's thoughts and actions). I could be totally wrong though, that's just what I've observed, and what I've found within myself.

ReputationRep:
    Depends really, you can say someone is weak minded for getting addicted to cocaine but the fact of the matter is 90%+ of people couldn't afford to get addicted to it.

Then some people may have been succesful businessmen, gone bust wife left them and they turned to alcohol because they're depressed. If they never went bankrupt it would of never happened.

Saying that I've took a lot of coke and I've never felt addicted to it, my friends for example will have a pint and be desperate for coke and they think I'm mad when i turn down free lines etc.

Maybe they are more weak willed. Or the main reason i gurn like a ******* and it's obvious I'm on drugs so I don't bother that often.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ricky116)
    lol at the people who say "they arent weak minded they just have physcological problems to deal with (and therefore turn to addictive substances)."

... Am I the only one who finds statements like this hilariously stupid?

Argh, similiarly, people who say "well its not really their fault as most of the time its social backround, education, upbringing..." etc.

... Where does responsibilty for one's actions ever come into this type of idea?

EDIT: Also this needs a poll!
    I half get where your coming from. And your half right. But some people turn to addiction if for example if a tragic event happens in the family, or if they are bullied, or if they are heart broken a bout something. But having said that there are people who turn to these things because of peer pressure, or because they are ridiculously stupid enough to think its cool, or a public norm. But as much as we can yell about it, noone will listen. What we need to do, is stop these substances/ materials being produced. Once we get rid of that, then the problem will be solved

ReputationRep:
    In my own opinion I believe it is true, people who say they are addicted to cigarettes and such I believe if you really want to quit you will quit someway. I believe some people just dont want to quit i would have much more respect for someone that says I smoke because i just love the taste of a fag or whatever. Rather than someone who says its a bad habbit but im addicted imo its ******** you control yourself and its your chocie whether you smoke or not.

ReputationRep:
    My minds telling me no

But my body is telling me yes.

Quite extraordinary this.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.