Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tropical-twist3)
    Yeah bad behaviour is pretty common, I dunno about the cheating kind but certainly the messing around and taking the piss kind. It's because kids are so ******* fed up with exams having gone through so many since the age of about 10/11
    Luckily for us scots most people only do 15-20 max over three years :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Firstly, Ouch.

But I take your point some teachers are absolute *****. If I'm honest I put alot more effort into my year 6 SATs than my year 9 SATs because I was seriously naive. I never really saw the point in worrying about anything that wasn't end of year, so CATs and Mocks IMHO were just the same as end of topic tests (only revise if you have spare time).

Your sisters rather lucky. I on the otherhand end up helping my degree level sister cope, but that means I should have a nice headstart for next year though.
    yeah sorry about that :o:

Thing is I just feel bad because I didn't really give a toss and didn't work hard at GCSE and still got good grades, but my sister puts lots of effort and hard work in but doesn't seem to quite get it and some of that is to do with her confidence that the poressure really isn't helping with!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meteorshower)
    Luckily for us scots most people only do 15-20 max over three years :p:
    aah thats not too bad, ar ethe scottish qualifications similar to the french system?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)

@OP: Cheating has happened in a couple of our exams, however they're usually the same people. It was a text book behind the cistern in our psychology exams last year and was only found after the exam period so nothing was done about it. Although this year they're insanely strict, they've even started checking under headscarfs, which they never did before.
    :eek: omg Really?!! It's not as if you can stash a textbook up there or anything :p: What were they checking for? earphones? I guess a girl with a headscarf could easily get away with cheating with earphones if they did it properly :confused:

ReputationRep:
    aah thats not too bad, ar ethe scottish qualifications similar to the french system?
    I have no idea how the french system works.

Quick overview though:

In 4th year (year 11 to you) we usually do 8 standard grades or int 2's, and each has one exam for the whole course, sometimes split up into two papers but all sat on one day.

In 5th year it's usually 5 highers or= int 2's, or a combination of both. We only need highers to get into scottsh unis and same deal, one exam for each subject. Not modular and we can't resit.

In 6th year we can do whatever we want (depending on the school) some people do advanced highers, some do more highers and some do int 2's and some do 2 subjects and some do 5.

ReputationRep:
    A girl in my school always wrote answers on her hand. She got caught in her RS exam and was disqualified, just from that one though. She was lucky...

ReputationRep:
    yeah sorry about that :o:

Thing is I just feel bad because I didn't really give a toss and didn't work hard at GCSE and still got good grades, but my sister puts lots of effort and hard work in but doesn't seem to quite get it and some of that is to do with her confidence that the poressure really isn't helping with!
    Tell her what I told my sister; "You'll fail anyway, so why are you worrying?" :p:

Seriously though she'll probably do good, just keep reassuring her.
    I've learnt at our school they mark the mock papers incredibly harshly so that everyone works harder for the real thing. Habe to say it did actually work for me, my GCSE Physics end of topic tests never went over 50%, realising things were looking dire I actually revised for a couple and it just didn't work. Come August I learn my best science grade was in Physics (90% I think)

P.S. One thing I'd suggest focussing heavily on is exam technique, I went from a B to an A purely on exam technique at AS.

(Original post by InkFromMyPen)
    :eek: omg Really?!! It's not as if you can stash a textbook up there or anything :p: What were they checking for? earphones? I guess a girl with a headscarf could easily get away with cheating with earphones if they did it properly :confused:
    Yup. you could have a wireless set or just stash a small MP3 player there. Although they only did it for the last few of my exams so I'm assuming someone else, be it at another school or ours was caught doing it.

ReputationRep:
    I recall somebody listening to their iPod all through an exam last year, and no one noticed (their hair sort of covered it up)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    I recall somebody listening to their iPod all through an exam last year, and no one noticed (their hair sort of covered it up)
    I hope they made the most of it and recorded things for the exam on it

ReputationRep:
    Lmao, if it was just them nodding along to maximo park on an ipod during a maths exam.

ReputationRep:
    Girl in my year's phone went off on loud twice in my Lit exam... nothing happened to her.

ReputationRep:
    Graphical calculators are :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I believe they were listening to The Beatles, which can't have helped much with the subject at hand

ReputationRep:
    I remember during a RE exam where everyone would cough on purpose for about 5 minute stretches as no one cared for the exam. Invigilators were getting very mad but they did nothing :rolleyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.