Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are the 60s the Best Decade in Music? watch

• View Poll Results: What was the best decade for music?
    2000s
    8.33%
    1990s
    8.33%
    1980s
    25.00%
    1970s
    18.33%
    1960s
    38.33%
    1950s
    0%
    pre 1950
    1.67%

ReputationRep:
    getting high and writing great music, the 60s.

bands like the beatles, the doors, the velvet underground, the animals, lou reed, the rolling stones, jefferson airplane, eagles, led zepp, the beach boys, hendrix, pink floyd, bowie, the zombies, the kinks, mama and papas, the yardbirds, iggy pop and THE WHO! (probably more...)

by my taste, thats the best decade hands down...(cant stand most modern, mainstream stuff).

second choice would be 80s, then 70s.

you?

ReputationRep:
    IMAO, no. I adorrrrre the 80s shabang :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Nirvana, Soundgarden, Faith No More, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nine Inch Nails, Smashing Pumpkins, Kyuss, Fu Manchu, Pixies, Rage Against The Machine, Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, Refused.

90's :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    The Animals.

ReputationRep:
    Socially, the 30's and 50's were better where progression and integration is concerned.

ReputationRep:
    Queen, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Doors (LA Woman), U2, AC/DC, Aerosmith, KISS, Eagles...

The 70s ruled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snobpence17)
    Nirvana, Soundgarden, Faith No More, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nine Inch Nails, Smashing Pumpkins, Kyuss, Fu Manchu, Pixies, Rage Against The Machine, Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, Refused.
    :no:

90's :awesome:
    Yes! The 90's was an excellent musical decade as far as I'm concerned, but not for the bands you've suggested — Belle & Sebastian, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Dismemberment Plan, Bonnie "Prince" Billie... we are of different tastes in the same time, it would seem.

ReputationRep:
    Gang of four, Wire, Pere Ubu, Mission of Burma, Naked Raygun, Meat Puppets, Minutemen, Hüsker Dü, Butthole Surfers, Angry Samoans, Articles of Faith, FEAR, Adolescents, Negative Approach, Rites of Spring, The Dicks, The Freeze, The Misfits, The Replacements. And more.

The (early) 80's.

ReputationRep:
    The Small Faces. :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    :no:

Yes! The 90's was an excellent musical decade as far as I'm concerned, but not for the bands you've suggested — Belle & Sebastian, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Dismemberment Plan, Bonnie "Prince" Billie... we are of different tastes in the same time, it would seem.
    For shame, for shame. :yep: Those bands are the nineties.

And you haven't made your move on noughts and crosses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morten)
    Gang of four, Wire, Pere Ubu, Mission of Burma, Naked Raygun, Meat Puppets, Minutemen, Hüsker Dü, Butthole Surfers, Angry Samoans, Articles of Faith, FEAR, Adolescents, Negative Approach, Rites of Spring, The Dicks, The Freeze, The Misfits, The Replacements. And more.

The (early) 80's.
    Good bands there. Grew out of my liking for 80's bands though, to switch to the nineties :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I would tend to agree with the 60s! Then 90s. Then 70s, then 80s. 00s come somewhere wayyy down the list!

ReputationRep:
    And you haven't made your move on noughts and crosses.
    Too many people responded to my PMs. I ended up having to delete them all. :pinch:
    Unless you went in the middle, you lost, for what it's worth.

ReputationRep:
    60's and the late 80's - early 90's are by far my two favourite periods in music history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    Too many people responded to my PMs. I ended up having to delete them all. :pinch:
    Unless you went in the middle, you lost, for what it's worth.
    Seriously? I went top right. Always thought you at least draw if you protect the corners.

ReputationRep:
    Good bands there. Grew out of my liking for 80's bands though, to switch to the nineties :awesome:
    I did the opposite, though I've never been fond of 90's alternative (that includes grunge), I just can't find the emotional core in that music, though it's still preferrable to most other music.

ReputationRep:
    Most of my tastes kinda runs between the 60s and 70s. The Pink Floyds, the likes of Genesis, the Queens, all of that sort of stuff. I'll take a little from the 80s and 90s, but not too much in comparison. The 2000s depress me though.

However, I loved the advancement in music over the 1950s. Motown, swing and blues laid down the foundations for some of the greatest music of all time (and indeed was some of the greatest music of all time).

ReputationRep:
    It was a close thing between the 60s and 70s, but I went for the 60s. Most of my very favourite people and bands came about then, but theres good stuff from all decades, and a lot of rubbish as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grant5)
    theres good stuff from all decades, and a lot of rubbish as well.
    Of course, a lot of the rubbish from earlier decades has been forgotten, thankfully.

Seriously? I went top right. Always thought you at least draw if you protect the corners.
    Alas, you're wrong. :sadnod:
    Observe:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Code:
    X| | 
     | | 
     | |
    Code:
    X| |O
     | | 
     | |
    Code:
    X| |O
     | | 
    X| |
    Code:
    X| |O
    O| | 
    X| |
    Code:
    X| |O
    O| | 
    X| |X

ReputationRep:
    The 60s! The Band, Gal costa, creedence clearwater revival, gilberto gil, scott walker, David Axelrod, Blue Cheer, love, The Millennium, Harry Nilsson, The Pretty Things, James Carr, The Left Banke, Magic Sam, as well as all the others already mentioned...so much great music. 80s are probably 2nd favourite for me, then this decade, followed by the 70s then the 90s, but really I love all of them. I dont really have much stuff from earlier than that but the 50s had their fair share of excellent stuff im sure of it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 29, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.