Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are the 60s the Best Decade in Music? Watch

• View Poll Results: What was the best decade for music?
    2000s
    8.33%
    1990s
    8.33%
    1980s
    25.00%
    1970s
    18.33%
    1960s
    38.33%
    1950s
    0%
    pre 1950
    1.67%

ReputationRep:
    I love music from many decades tbh but I had to vote 90's simply because of nostalgia :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grant5)
    It was a close thing between the 60s and 70s, but I went for the 60s. Most of my very favourite people and bands came about then, but theres good stuff from all decades, and a lot of rubbish as well.
    people always fantasise about times gone by, when in reality alot of bands manged sucess because there were fewer bands around
    that got attention.

I went for the 00's.

thats just my opinion though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    Of course, a lot of the rubbish from earlier decades has been forgotten, thankfully.

Alas, you're wrong. :sadnod:
    Observe:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Code:
    X| | 
     | | 
     | |
    Code:
    X| |O
     | | 
     | |
    Code:
    X| |O
     | | 
    X| |
    Code:
    X| |O
    O| | 
    X| |
    Code:
    X| |O
    O| | 
    X| |X
    Damn. Well you learn something new every day :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lou Reed)
    yeah...i counted led zep, pink flod and the doors as 60s because thats when they were formed (but nice choices!).
    Thanks! Just realized that Lou Reed also made it big in the 70s - ah, the list is endless.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    This is entirely subjective of course, but in my mind, post-rock is the definition of orgasm... and that hasn't really kicked off since this decade, so it has to be 2000s for me.

ReputationRep:
    Funny how no one seems torn between the 60s or the 00s for example. Seems like if you really like one you dont like the other at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    This is entirely subjective of course, but in my mind, post-rock is the definition of orgasm... and that hasn't really kicked off since this decade, so it has to be 2000s for me.
    Which bands in particular? I've listened to Mogwai and Godspeed! and I have not been hooked yet. I listen to Mogwai once in a while, and it has it's moments, but Godspeed! is just to pretentious for me. Have I been listening to the wrong bands?

ReputationRep:
    i used to say the 70s because i loved rock, but really the 90s was a much greater decade

for rock fans:

Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Chillis, Radiohead, Oasis, Blur, Nine Inch Nails, Incubus, Rage Against the Machine

for hip hop fans

Wu Tang Clan, Nas. Biggie Smalls, Jay Z, Fugees, Gang Starr, Ice Cube, Dre, Snoop Doggy Dogg, Mobb Deep, Jurassic 5, DJ Shadow

for dance fans

The Prodigy, Fatboy Slim, Aphex Twin, Chemical Brothers, Orbital, Daft Punk, Goldie, Moby, Underworld

it really was a decade for everyone
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Morten)
    What in particular is orgasm? I've listened to Mogwai and Godspeed! and I have not been hooked yet. I listen to Mogwai once in a while, and it has it's moments, but Godspeed! is just to pretentious for me. Have I been listening to the wrong bands?
    They're not amazing... one's I'd recommend are:
    - Mew
    - Maybeshewill
    - And So I Watch You From Afar
    - Sigur Rós (but they get boring after a while)
    ...amongst others.

ReputationRep:
    OP you would LOVE Revolver (60's club night in manchester). I mentally orgasm every night I am there :P On the topic at hand...it's a tough choice between 60's and 70's, I just can't do it :'(

ReputationRep:
    Hell yeah.
    The 60s had The Beatles, Beach boys, Jefferson Airplane, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Yardbirds, The Doors.. what more could you ask for

ReputationRep:
    80s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munn)
    i used to say the 70s because i loved rock, but really the 90s was a much greater decade

for rock fans:

Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Chillis, Radiohead, Oasis, Blur, Nine Inch Nails, Incubus, Rage Against the Machine

for hip hop fans

Wu Tang Clan, Nas. Biggie Smalls, Jay Z, Fugees, Gang Starr, Ice Cube, Dre, Snoop Doggy Dogg, Mobb Deep, Jurassic 5, DJ Shadow

for dance fans

The Prodigy, Fatboy Slim, Aphex Twin, Chemical Brothers, Orbital, Daft Punk, Goldie, Moby, Underworld

it really was a decade for everyone
    This. Forgot Incubus actually.

getting high and writing great music, the 60s.

bands like the beatles, the doors, the velvet underground, the animals, lou reed, the rolling stones, eagles, led zepp, the beach boys, hendrix, pink floyd, bowie, the zombies, the kinks, the yardbirds, iggy pop and THE WHO! (probably more...)

by my taste, thats the best decade hands down...(cant stand most modern, mainstream stuff).

second choice would be 80s, then 70s.

you?
    If you didnt just forget them. Mamas and the Papas, Moody Blues, Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane are worth listening to. Its stretching it to say Led Zep are a 60s band. Ok they touch the far end of the 60s and the start of the 80s, but definatley a 70s band

Oh and of course the grateful dead, four tops, temptations, supremes.

no i didnt forget youre right, just didnt want to make an overlong list, but ill put em on.

btw in your sig! we gotta get out of this place - the animals should be there!
    There is so much I have to put on there . Repped for a wonderful music taste

ReputationRep:

killed a classic, imo.
    Lol, but wasn't chosen for the band I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    Fo' sure followed by the 90's i'd say

ReputationRep:
    I vote 90's. I really would like some of the 00's bands though: The Killers & Arctic Monkeys mainly.

ReputationRep:
    60s/70s. And user Lou Reed, baba o'riley is boss. :love:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.