Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are the 60s the Best Decade in Music? Watch

• View Poll Results: What was the best decade for music?
    2000s
    8.33%
    1990s
    8.33%
    1980s
    25.00%
    1970s
    18.33%
    1960s
    38.33%
    1950s
    0%
    pre 1950
    1.67%

ReputationRep:
    I really don't think there is a 'best' decade for music. Thousands of great albums have been released during every decade since the 1960s, and prescribing some hierarchical order just seems to me like an entirely arbitrary exercise.

ReputationRep:
    80's
    Cheap Trick, Steve Vai, Racer X, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax and all that lovely Electro pop

Can't beat the 60s + 70s.

Favourites are the beatles, Queen, hendrix and bowie.

ReputationRep:
    Pink Floyd were not the best in the 60's... they peaked much later on.

Plus Porcupine Tree weren't in the 60's so no

ReputationRep:
    100% the best!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, I would say the late fifties to the late seventies was proably the best period of popular music.

ReputationRep:
    Each decade has something good but I'd say the 80s are my favourite. The music was cool + girls looked fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    Busted.

This be me favourite period.

Do you got tickets?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munn)
    i used to say the 70s because i loved rock, but really the 90s was a much greater decade

for rock fans:

Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Chillis, Radiohead, Oasis, Blur, Nine Inch Nails, Incubus, Rage Against the Machine

for hip hop fans

Wu Tang Clan, Nas. Biggie Smalls, Jay Z, Fugees, Gang Starr, Ice Cube, Dre, Snoop Doggy Dogg, Mobb Deep, Jurassic 5, DJ Shadow

for dance fans

The Prodigy, Fatboy Slim, Aphex Twin, Chemical Brothers, Orbital, Daft Punk, Goldie, Moby, Underworld

it really was a decade for everyone
    agreed on every count

ReputationRep:
    Retarded question that has been done to death. But if I were to say, it'd be 2000's purely because most of the music I listen to has been released in this decade. Although saying it's the 'best' would just make me stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lou Reed)
    getting high and writing great music, the 60s.

bands like the beatles, the doors, the velvet underground, the animals, lou reed, the rolling stones, jefferson airplane, eagles, led zepp, the beach boys, hendrix, pink floyd, bowie, the zombies, the kinks, mama and papas, the yardbirds, iggy pop and THE WHO! (probably more...)

by my taste, thats the best decade hands down...(cant stand most modern, mainstream stuff).

second choice would be 80s, then 70s.

you?
    ...Sandie Shaw, Petula Clark, Cilla Black, The Crystals, The Cookies, Reparata and the Delrons. The 60s were good for music. The 80s were better, however.

ReputationRep:
    i would agree to there are some bloody good bands in the 60's, i do like the mod rock, and ska :p:

in the 80's we saw radiohead

80's is a bit far calling that great, the start of pop and one hit wonders

70's was ok, disco and funk, you can hear a lot of that into music, well funky house

90's nothing great there :p:, just pop pop pop, age of the girl bands and boy bands

and your 00's we have seen many changes, from indie and emo taking off, you most forms of dance music hitting the mainstream, no one would of through drum and bass would be so big, or dubstep, when they was unknown out side of london late 90's early 00's
    a shame we saw of death of UK garage which pretty much started all these off, people forget that
    but calling its the best its a bit far, but then each person makes of music what they want it to, and we all love different types which makes it great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lou Reed)
    some good bands there, like i say 80s were my second choice nothing beats classic rock though

oh and btw - is that helena bonahm carter in your avatar?
    Indeed it is.

ReputationRep:
    Nowadays, music is made as fast as its sold, as fast as its forgotten. Its for the money nowadays, not for the love of music, and music has devolved. Hardly anything new nowadays that was developed by a person and not a computer synthesiser

ReputationRep:
    60's & 70's without a doubt, There's been a lot of bands mentioned but I think people are forgetting the soul music of the 60's, especially artists like Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, James Brown, Otis Redding, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, The Temptations, Diana Ross & The Supremes, Stevie Wonder, etc

ReputationRep:
    Defintely the 60's.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.