Turn on thread page Beta

Studying/living in france for a year - insurance watch

ReputationRep:
    I will be studying abroad in France next year. I know I need the EHIC for health insurance plus normal study abroad/travel insurance. I was planning to go with Endsleigh's study abroad insurance, does this insure all your personal belongings while you're are living abroad? I think I also need to get some kind of insurance for where I'm living (I hope to rent a flat with other students) but then I would have thought one policy would cover the entire flat? I'm so confused about it all, if anyone has any experience with these matters, I'd be grateful for some advice! :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fireit)
    I will be studying abroad in France next year. I know I need the EHIC for health insurance plus normal study abroad/travel insurance. I was planning to go with Endsleigh's study abroad insurance, does this insure all your personal belongings while you're are living abroad? I think I also need to get some kind of insurance for where I'm living (I hope to rent a flat with other students) but then I would have thought one policy would cover the entire flat? I'm so confused about it all, if anyone has any experience with these matters, I'd be grateful for some advice! :o:
    EHIC is not medical insurance.

It entitles you to free EMERGENCY medical treatment.

If you go to the doctor in France for a non-emergency, you will be liable for the minimum 22Euro fee, plus any prescription costs (usually extortionate, in my own experience).

You need to take out fully comprehensive medical/personal/possession insurance - my University offered this to me for £70 for the entire year.

Another thing to consider is that there's no such thing, strictly speaking, as student halls over in France, So finding accommodation is difficult and you need to think about it sooner rather than later. France have various rules/laws about insurance for your property, and one such law is the 'Multirisques Habitation' whereby you, the tenant, are required to provide insurance for your property. Your landlord may provide info about this:
    http://www.monetos.co.uk/service/ren.../fr/insurance/

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of the Endsleigh study abroad one too, which I think would cover everything we need apart from our possessions while we are there, which is something which (annoyingly!) has to get sorted out in France. Also, where I'm going has asked that my insurance certificate (the Endsleigh one) is translated into French....what a pain in the arse!!!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.