Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i was just wondering how easy is it to get a job in Sheffield whilst i am at uni in the first year? and what type of places would have jobs available. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    not easy thats for certain - theres tons of students in the city and a lot of them want part time work. The student union is always a good choice for work (bar staff, security staff, shop staff, reception staff etc) even though theres a lot of competition for some of the jobs. Otherwise there are lots of bars, shops and restaurants in and around the city centre and the studenty areas that may want staff, and there is a big shopping centre called Meadowhall where you might be able to get a job (but it is a half hour walk and a tram ride away from Endcliffe, or a tram ride away from the city centre accomm). Alternatively there are always lots of students handing out leaflets for club nights around uni, so if you dont mind annoying people all day and standing in the cold I believe the moneys not too bad.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be honest, right now it really isn't very easy.

I have friends trying to get jobs atm and they aren't having much luck.

Short of signing up to agencies, as has been mentioned keep trying meadowhall for jobs, and sometimes the jobs section of sheffieldforum has vacancoes listed

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be honest, it took me about 5 months to find a decent job in Sheffield. I think part of that was because I started looking in Freshers and its much better to start before you even get there if you are eager.
    I know there are quite a few part time positions going at the union at the moment so you could apply for those, and there are always new things being advertised by the Union career service (although you won't get access to that until you are registered as a student).
    As people before have said meadowhall always have things going, and there are usually casual positions advertised on mysheffieldjobs.

ReputationRep:
    I've had a job at HMV meadowhall since freshers. I transferred from my home shop where I have worked for 3 years.
    Meadowhall is a good place to work because you may get the chance to work evenings rather than all weekend. For example I have worked 5-9pm Tuesdays and Thursdays and then all day Saturday, which means I've had chance still to get uni work done and had the chance for my mum to come and visit for the day! Only downside to Meadowhall is extended opening hours at xmas! It meant my evening shifts changed from finishing at 9pm to finishing at 10pm. This meant getting back to Endcliffe between 10.45 and 11.00pm!

I have friends who have worked in clubs and altho its not the worst place to work the hours can be really long. Some clubs even ask their bar staff to help finish up at the end of the night so not finishing until 3-4am depending on what time the club shuts.

Another possibility is to work for a promotions company. There are dozens of these in Sheffield and a simple facebook search will prove this.
    This kind of work can include flyering, selling tickets, taking tickets at the event etc. This can be quite well paid e.g. £10 and hour. Altho you will often only work 1-2 hours at a time. Hours can be a bit anti social tho!
    One of my flatmates did this last year and perks included free/cheaper entry to lots of clubs and bars! Even got to go to a couple of bar openings! So even if you don't fancy doing it having a flatmate who does it can be good!!

Hope this helps people!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lulu_dudette)
    I've had a job at HMV meadowhall since freshers. I transferred from my home shop where I have worked for 3 years.
    Meadowhall is a good place to work because you may get the chance to work evenings rather than all weekend. For example I have worked 5-9pm Tuesdays and Thursdays and then all day Saturday, which means I've had chance still to get uni work done and had the chance for my mum to come and visit for the day! Only downside to Meadowhall is extended opening hours at xmas! It meant my evening shifts changed from finishing at 9pm to finishing at 10pm. This meant getting back to Endcliffe between 10.45 and 11.00pm!
    So would you say that in general Meadowhall wasn't too impractical to get to? I'm looking for jobs in Sheffield at the moment and wasn't sure if I'd get annoyed with the travelling to Meadowhall from Endcliffe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vickyy)
    So would you say that in general Meadowhall wasn't too impractical to get to? I'm looking for jobs in Sheffield at the moment and wasn't sure if I'd get annoyed with the travelling to Meadowhall from Endcliffe.
    Meadowhall really isnt that far. You just walk to the campus and get the tram from there so it isnt difficult to get to. The only downside is the trams are £3 for a day pass and on Sundays they only run every 20 mins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vickyy)
    Hey
    No I don't think its too impractical at all. Molly is right that the trams only run every 20mins on a Sunday but you may find that other people you work with may use the trams so your manager will understand transport issues!

Coming back to Endcliffe was always the worst bit for me. But the number 80 bus runs until like 11.30pm Mon-Fri so you can get off the tram at the uni stop and walk up to the bus top at the union outside the Hicks building and a ride home will only cost you 70p! Bargain! Esp in the winter or your feet just generally hurt after a hard shift in Meadowhell!!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.