Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all. Just wanted to rant about an argument I had with someone.

Situation is that I do my A levels right now and want to switch to a BTEc national Diploma in Art and design and BTEC award in Drama. This other person does Biology, Chemistry,Maths and Further maths.

What basically happened was that I told this person that I wanted to do a BTEC in art and Drama and all of a sudden I get a Flurry of insults telling me about How a BTEC is useless and won't get me anywhere and how BTEC's are for talentless lackies. Firstly A BTEC is not a useless Qualification, Granted it's not in the same leauge as A levels but still. Secondly when It comes to Creative subjects such as Art Drama and Music a BTEC is much better than A levels no argument, as you go into much more depth that an A level ever could.Respectivley for Subjects such as Medicene and Maths a BTEC is pretty useless(No offense) Finally I know I want to do Art at uni combined with either Music or Drama so there is no need for me to take up subjects which I woudn't enjoy.

GAHHHH
    Rant over

ReputationRep:
    LOL, we get this a lot in my school and tbh it's funny. It's all "BTEC spag, BTEC retard! go do BTEC!" to all the less intellectuals. It's just something you'll have to live with i am afraid from most. however tell your friend that a BTEC in creative subjects such as Art and Design, is much more respected than it's A-Level counterparts, and your not trying to shy away from work by doing it.

ReputationRep:
    Banter directed towards BTEC students was rife in our school. It's the price you have to pay for doing a pointless qualification.

On a serious note, ignore them. Your doing a something which you think will help you get somewhere, and, like you say, it might do a better job than A-levels would.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh this thread has only been done >9000 times now.

Do what you want, don't listen to what other people say alalalalala

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhh who cares anyway, really. Even the people who say it don't really care, it's not like it affects them in any way, they're just taking the piss. Just ignore it and do what you want, it's your life not theirs.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry OP, BTECS are NOT pointless. If they are, A-levels and degrees must be aswell. Oops.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    I got into Nottingham and a guy at college is at Durham with a BTEC. They can't be all that bad.

ReputationRep:
    Who are you trying to convince, OP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tenchu kurenai)

Situation is that I do my A levels right now and want to switch to a BTEc national Diploma in Art and design and BTEC award in Drama. This other person does Biology, Chemistry,Maths and Further maths.

What basically happened was that I told this person that I wanted to do a BTEC in art and Drama and all of a sudden I get a Flurry of insults telling me about How a BTEC is useless and won't get me anywhere and how BTEC's are for talentless lackies. Firstly A BTEC is not a useless Qualification, Granted it's not in the same leauge as A levels but still. Secondly when It comes to Creative subjects such as Art Drama and Music a BTEC is much better than A levels no argument, as you go into much more depth that an A level ever could.Respectivley for Subjects such as Medicene and Maths a BTEC is pretty useless(No offense) Finally I know I want to do Art at uni combined with either Music or Drama so there is no need for me to take up subjects which I woudn't enjoy.

GAHHHH
    Rant over
    A BTEC Diploma is worth 4 A levels, but people say it's useless because it's all coursework- however some people prefer that. Myself chose A levels due to the varity, but if you know one subject is what you want to do then it's not useless.

ReputationRep:
    The prime example of a BTEC student would be George Allen. He is a polite well rounded young man. However he is unable to grasp intellectual debates and has to resort to common ground.... ie football. There is nothing wrong with that at all but in my school that is seen as BTEC material. When around other BTECS he puts on a false cockney accent and deliberately messes up grammar to 'fit in' His favorite time is results day as he has no results. This man is one of my best mates and he loves this course as it suits him but like so many other BTECS he does not know what to do after education and this fuels the fact of inevitability of demise.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Do what you want to do. Ignore those *****es.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, i need a reply to this asap plz, because i need to make a decision soon.

I want to be an actor, but i am stuck between A levels (English Langlit, Theatre Studies, Maths, Sociology) and the BTEC in Performing Arts (with IB English, Philosophy and possibly Maths). I am also academic, so am worried that while the BTEC is more practical it may be wasting my brains? PLEASE HELP!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I write this response from an unbiased point of view, despite having completed a BTEC National Award in Media Production whilst at Sixth Form.

Firstly, if we get technical, BTEC National Awards, Certificates and Diplomas are equivalent to 1, 2 and 3 A-Levels respectively. They hold the same tariff point values according to UCAS (see UCAS Tariff tables). So the BTEC qualifications are on the same table as A-Levels, when looking at it from that angle.

Secondly, BTEC courses are designed and structured in similar yet different ways to A-Levels. From my experience I did not have to sit any exams whilst studying for my BTEC National Award, which was great. For someone who prefers and demonstrates much more knowledge, skill and flair through coursework the BTEC course was my favourite. But I still did 3 A-Levels alongside it, and sat exams, and without 'tooting my own horn' I'm not exactly a dim person. Some people, including myself, are practically minded and I wouldn't be where I am now without my BTEC!

Sure, some people opt for BTEC courses because they may struggle with the more academic elements of A-Levels (such as essays and exams), but that's not to say they're worthless. As with my example, I'm quite capable of writing essays and sitting exams, I just feel much more comfortable working practically and doing coursework. Some people may say a BTEC in Sport Science is worthless because (apparently) stupid football players take them and manage to pass them - but if it appeals to their strengths and they can actually do well, then what's wrong with that? They can then go on to University, get a degree and then become a well-paid physiotherapist!

But then again it also depends on the tutors and establishment offering the qualification. If it's not delivered well, as with any qualification (including A-Levels), then it could be considered worthless because essentially the student will have learnt nothing.

BTECs and A-Levels each have their pros and cons, but in my opinion it's down to the individual and how they learn best.

I'm currently studying an entirely practical degree course, Broadcast Operations, at Ravensbourne in North Greenwich, London. I completed my BTEC National Award in Media Production in 2009 and moved on to complete a one year Foundation Diploma in Media Production, eventually progressing on to my current degree course. Ravensbourne has a reputation for being the leading institution in offering practical degrees in Broadcasting, Design, and Digital Media - with a 98% graduate employment rate nearly all students who leave Ravensbourne go straight in to a job, freelance successfully and/or are self-employed with their own business.

Sometimes, depending on what field you're aiming to go in to, practical is much better than theory. I do not currently consider myself a student, but a young professional with heaps of work experience already under my belt despite only being a second year.

If you managed to read everything I wrote, then I hope it was of some use to you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tenchu kurenai)

Situation is that I do my A levels right now and want to switch to a BTEc national Diploma in Art and design and BTEC award in Drama. This other person does Biology, Chemistry,Maths and Further maths. i know where this is going

What basically happened was that I told this person that I wanted to do a BTEC in art and Drama and all of a sudden I get a Flurry of insults telling me about How a BTEC is useless and won't get me anywhere and how BTEC's are for talentless lackies. Firstly A BTEC is not a useless Qualification, Granted it's not in the same leauge as A levels but still. Secondly when It comes to Creative subjects such as Art Drama and Music a BTEC is much better than A levels no argument, as you go into much more depth that an A level ever could.Respectivley for Subjects such as Medicene and Maths a BTEC is pretty useless(No offense) not necessarily, you can still studying medicine with BTECsFinally I know I want to do Art at uni combined with either Music or Drama so there is no need for me to take up subjects which I woudn't enjoy.

GAHHHH
    Rant over
    :cool:

I'm gonna get neg'd for this but i'm siding with your friend, BTECs like art, Drama and music along with Drama, music and Art degrees have no place in academic institutions like University and Sixth form college and i find it hard to believe that there is a bounty of Jobs waiting for these Graduates.

As qualifications, They are useless

ReputationRep:
    A levels and BTECs are like the US Senate and the House of Representatives; they both are essentially equal, however, like the senate, A levels still tend to be viewed more prestigiously.

ReputationRep:
    People work a lot harder on BTECS than they do A-levels with all the coursework behind them they have to research a lot of information and it all cant be taught like a-levels and BTECs shall prepare you for uni about how to research etc. ignore all of what everyone has to say. they moan when they mess up in the exams.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.