Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpecialKate)
    It's from the film Almost Famous. If you like that quote, I'm sure you would like that film so I advise that you see it as soon as possible :yes:

thanks! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I wear it because I think it makes me look better, I don't think I look hideous without it, and I don't do it for boys

ReputationRep:
    Because they're ugly underneath obvs.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I dont wear that much make-up. And I wouldnt compete to wear more make up than some other girl.

ReputationRep:
    I think you must be mistaking real women for the blow-up kind you keep company with dear. The factory paint is abit OTT on them i must admit **barffff**

ReputationRep:
    It's the media's fault. It has a psychological effect on people and makes them think that make-up is as essential as food. Plus it is rather generalised. I know girls that don't wear make up at all or rarely wear it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by breakthru)
    I don't understand why. I've lived my whole life not knowing what the obsession is with makeup. Each girl wants to have more than another and its no wonder we call girls ****s. Pretty much every girl in the street I see has lots of makeup on. Why do you need to waste so much money and time on something that boys do not care about because we already think you're really attractive without it?! We are not all pretentious people who will judge you like that. If only girls would see the light.
    Each girl doesnt want to have more than the other, what a ridiculous thing to say, its not a competition.
    And I cant understand how wearing makeup makes a girl a '****' or gives any guy the right to call her one.
    Also girls dont wear makeup because boys care about it, its because she likes it. Its for herself and her confidence, not about some boys opinion.

ONE THING I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND. Loads of boys say oh we like the natural look, dont wear too much makeup blahblahblah or whatever. THEN some of the same boys will be drooling over the likes of someone such as Megan Fox who wears SO much makeup and is as fake as anything. Explain this someone=/.

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely love makeup - for want of a better word I suppose you could call it my "hobby". I own quite a vast amount of the stuff, and wear it every day. I really like to experiment with texture and colour, not to mention I just get a lot of enjoyment out of owning nice products and applying them, and learning new techniques. I don't wear it because I'm trying to hide behind it, I just enjoy it for its own sake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rose_uni08)

This says it all really .. .. ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lell)
    1) You are generalising. Not all girls wear make up, not all girls who do wear make up wear masses of it.

2) Girls don't necessarily wear make up for men. I wear make up because it makes me look and feel better.
    this.
    op, you are generalising a bit too much here. Girls wearing a ridiculous amount of makeup do look silly but most of the time its due to insecurity.
    I wear makeup but subtle makeup and a lot of the time girls wear makeup and you guys don't even notice it
    a bit of mascara dash of foundation and coat of lipgloss is all it needs alot of the time, we don't look like ****s and we then feel confident, this is how to cheat the system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    A large part of the reason girls wear make up is because of idiot boys who don't have a clue what "no make up" looks like. To get the look most boys would consider casual, no make up style, we have to wear quite a lot. To get a look most boys would consider "making an effort", we have to wear a lot. So obviously some girls aren't so hot at applying the make up and get it wrong.

Seriously, I've had so many boys say my friends look like a dog, but I'm naturally attractive, when the only difference is that I wear make up during the day and they don't. If we were both without make up, we'd both be about the same level of attractiveness. Yet boys think all make up must look obvious, so presume that if a girl doesn't look orange and over-the-top, she's not wearing any.

I've yet to ever meet a girl who looked like a guy's idea of "natural beauty" when she's just rolled out of bed.
    Couldn't agree more. The number of times I've asked my husband "Does my makeup look OK?" only to get "What makeup??" in reply..!

ReputationRep:
    Not all girls wear loads of make-up. I hardly ever wear make-up at all, mainly because it seems to make me break out whenever I apply any type of base, which is kind of annoying Although I do realise this is a big mistake whenever it seems as though someone is trying to check their reflection in my increasingly shiny nose, so any make-up I do wear is an atempt to conceal my shiny forehead and nose. Just imagine snape after a fortnight in Egypt (as hot weather does seem to make skin greasier) and you kinda get the idea...

Thats probably the reason many girls wear make-up, to disguise common skin complaints such as acne, spots, greasiness/shinyness ect.

Agressive marketing probably plays a part too, especially for those who wear excessive make-up, as cosmetics are imposed upon females constantly, at all times of the day. Every other page in most female magazines is either a blatent advertisement of some make-up product, or advertisement of a make-up product that is conveniently disguised as a helpful article telling us how to achieve a certain celebrity's look. And then there's television ads of cosmetics, repeating the same mantras of "invisible pores", "smooth complexion" ect.
    Baisically, we are constantly exposed to an unachievable ideal of "perfection" by the media, which breeds insecurities in many girls when they can't live up to this ideal, therefore the beauty industry preys upon these girls insecurities by offering the answer to these "problems" in the form of some cosmetic.

Unsuprisingly, the cosmetics idustry is one of the biggest in the world, worth 4.5 billion in the UK alone. The result of these profits can be clearly observed of the faces of girls who are the victims of agressive marketing.

/rant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXMessedUpXx)
    Insecurity maybe? Thats the reason i've always worn it. That and i look about 10x more hideous without it
    That about sums it up for me too hah.

ReputationRep:
    i have terrible undereye bags (no matter how much sleep i get) i have purpley/red/bluely circles under my eyes...not puffy just dark

so i have to wear colcealer everyday otherwise i get lots of "whats wrong/ gosh youlok tired/ you look like you could do with a good sleep"

one person asked if i spoke crack cause i aparently look that bad thta i must be a druggie

though apart from the bags i have nice skin & can look nice

so undereye concealer is the difference between people telling me im pretty/ getting chatted up in bars/ etc; so being mistaken for a sleep deprived drug addict.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by i like tea)
    i have terrible undereye bags (no matter how much sleep i get) i have purpley/red/bluely circles under my eyes...not puffy just dark

so i have to wear colcealer everyday otherwise i get lots of "whats wrong/ gosh youlok tired/ you look like you could do with a good sleep"

one person asked if i spoke crack cause i aparently look that bad thta i must be a druggie

though apart from the bags i have nice skin & can look nice

so undereye concealer is the difference between people telling me im pretty/ getting chatted up in bars/ etc; so being mistaken for a sleep deprived drug addict.
    What concealer do you use?

ReputationRep:
    I wear it because I feel better and more confident with it on, it just transforms my face into a different person, my boyfriend says I loo like a different person when I take my make-up off at night before I go to bed! and it cant b a bad thing either as he says he loves me with my makeup on! I only wear concealer, mascara 2 coats, a bright eyeshadow and liner underneath, eyebrow liner, powder on top when Ive done my eyes and rarely blusher and lipstick!

n ive always had bad skin but dont pile on layers of foundation as I now that it will only make my skin worse

most girls arnt ****s just cos they wear makeup dear!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by breakthru)
    I don't understand why. I've lived my whole life not knowing what the obsession is with makeup. Each girl wants to have more than another and its no wonder we call girls ****s. Pretty much every girl in the street I see has lots of makeup on. Why do you need to waste so much money and time on something that boys do not care about because we already think you're really attractive without it?! We are not all pretentious people who will judge you like that. If only girls would see the light.
    Your mistake is you think we're doing it for you. Don't flatter yourself.
    I, and the majority of other girls, wear makeup to feel better about ourselves, more confident, and more polished.
    I have no doubt in my ability to attract men with or without makeup, I wear makeup to please MYSELF.
    And what does makeup have to do with someone's sexual behaviour?!

That turned into a bit of a rant haha. But seriously, it is not always about you. I just like makeup

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    If a girl is ugly she should just accept her lot in life and move on. Plastering themselves with cheap make up from Superdrug will not convert men into genuinely thinking they are attractive.

When I think of such women in make up I think of prostitutes.
    this is ridiculous.
    pixie lott without makeup - http://cn.last.fm/music/Pixie+Lott/+images/35413189

pixie with -
    http://www.novafm.com.au/lib/images/...Lott-96400.jpg

ReputationRep:
    I only wear makeup to parties or special events...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.