Turn on thread page Beta

'Times Good university guide 2010' watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok, well Im gonna be starting my AS levels in September and I think it's better if i start looking into which univeristies to go to now.I want to do a Business Management honours degree.Anyway ,back to the point, I just wanted to know whether this 'Good University guide 2010' by the Times
    has listed Univeristies in terms of the most prestigious

LINK: http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_...rsityguide.php

ReputationRep:
    No, there's no rating by 'most prestigious', but you can rank by graduate employment prospects which measures how many graduates get a graduate level job if that's the sort of thing you're interested in.

ReputationRep:
    League tables give me the horn :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Get ready for some onslaught

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Admonitor)
    No, there's no rating by 'most prestigious', but you can rank by graduate employment prospects which measures how many graduates get a graduate level job if that's the sort of thing you're interested in.
    Nooo! i think you misunderstood.I just found it intersting how universities like Oxford and Cambridge were in the top.So i wanted to know whther the list hinted at which univeristies were considered sokme of the best in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Don't apply to a uni just based on prestige. Apply where you like the course and place, and will suit your ability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_opinionated)
    Nooo! i think you misunderstood.I just found it intersting how universities like Oxford and Cambridge were in the top.So i wanted to know whther the list hinted at which univeristies were considered sokme of the best in the UK.
    Ah right, ok. Well no, prestige isn't a factor they use to measure it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hallix)
    Get ready for some onslaught
    haha no problem I'm prepared :yes: :rock:

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to know whether this 'Good University guide 2010' by the Times has listed Univeristies in terms of the most prestigious
    The table purports to show the courses in order of quality, not prestige. The accuracy of these tables is debatable and, though you might use them as a guide of where to apply to, you should investigate different universities yourself to find out which ones suit you best.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, well Im gonna be starting my AS levels in September and I think it's better if i start looking into which univeristies to go to now.I want to do a Business Management honours degree.Anyway ,back to the point, I just wanted to know whether this 'Good University guide 2010' by the Times has listed Univeristies in terms of the most prestigious

LINK: http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_...rsityguide.php
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    They're useful for getting a rough idea of where uni's stand... TVU is not as good as Oxford for example.. but the specific rankings fluctuate every year and may be quite different by the time you graduate.

Certain universities are renowned for certain subjects as well, so look into that.

Generally 'older' traditional universities are better regarded than 'newer' universities although not necessarily. Prestige is a difficult thing to measure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grapevine)
    :facepalm:
    It would have been more appreciated if you had actually given me an answer :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    Don't apply to a uni just based on prestige. Apply where you like the course and place, and will suit your ability.
    This ^

The League Tables give a very basic, broad idea of where a university may sit in regards to how respected it is in areas such as research, student satisfaction and graduate prospects, i.e. is it one of the best in comparison to other universities, one of the worse, somewhere near the top etc. Obviously if all of those are good, it is likely to be a prestigious university, but that is not always the case. There are problems with these League Tables - some universities don't always declare certain results and they have now introduced 'value added' so that you can see how people improved throughout their degree. Whilst it's nice to know your degree will advance your knowledge, improvement alone will not land you the best jobs. So there are problems with league tables, but they are not entirely useless. Look at the Times, Guardian and Independent and it will give you a hint at where universities are more or less, but don't take it too seriously. Sometimes student satisfaction tables and employment statistics alone may be more useful - and will probably be a better basis for a judgement on what universities to apply to than prestige

ReputationRep:
    It would have been more appreciated if you had actually given me an answer :rolleyes:
    It would have been more appreciated if you hadn't of asked such a moronic question.

ReputationRep:
    Don't base your choices soley on the guide. They all differ and aren't that good anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore the guide, get the opinions of those that have taken up places in the same course (at different Unis).

ReputationRep:
    I say the Times Good University guide is helpful in that it compares the relative merits of universities according to degree discipline by applying weighting factors and taking into account research ratings, student satisfaction, staff-student ratio, expenditure on facilities, entry requirements. You should be looking at the top 20 universities under your preferred degree course heading. Generally you will find that the prestigious universities occupy the top rankings and these offer the best job prospects. Go for a university in the Russell group or the 1994 group. Avoid the so called new universities as these are ex-polytechnics that churn out indifferent and mediocre graduates.

ReputationRep:
    For decades people applied to university without league tables and got on just fine, I don't see why we should now. A few more dropping out, a few more 2:2s etc, and you fall down the table- even though this could be construed as the uni keeping its standards high. In many criteria you can construct a reason for it not being accurate- i.e. UCAS score being a reflection of popularity (not to mention that by trying to get more students from poorer backgrounds into your university is just asking for a lower rank) rather than quality etc.

And what is 'Prestige' anyway? It means different things to different people. UCAS score, entry requirements, age of university, famous alumni, money from research/turnover etc. In short, no one can agree what is and what isn't a prestigious university, as the term means different things to different people.

I'd leave the tables alone if possible, and think about the kind of places you'd like to study in. Don't be forced into applying anywhere just because its higher up a league table- only seven places have never been out of the top 20, and you'll be trying to use that degree of yours in seven or eight years, you'll look pretty stupid if your 'top 10' in some newspaper that you've bragged of is 30-somethingth in 2017, won't you?

ReputationRep:
    Despite the general continuous criticisms, many of which have been featured on this thread, along with the fact that the university rankings can be a bit impressionistic, the guide is surprisingly accurate and reliable.

Useful as a guide, but don't base your decision on it by any means.

ReputationRep:
    No, the Times guide has changed beyond recognition in recent years, and has far too much fluctuation to list the most prestigious accurately. For example, going on prestige, most would put LSE 3rd, certainly not 7th, and Nottingham would be higher than 20th. To get an idea look at all rankings over the last 15 odd years to get a better guide to prestige. Also the older Times rankings were more reliable IMO

Forget what a lot of people are saying above. If you care about prestige then so be it. I dont see how that is different to wanting to go somewhere with a good nightlife, accommodation etc. Just dont trust the latest league tables as they are a bit strange nowadays

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.