Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    It would be better than the situation we have at present. I support this amendment.
    Which amendment A50 or this other one that is been put forward ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 01kij114)
    Which amendment A50 or this other one that is been put forward ?
    Both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    Both.
    Well its got to be one or the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 01kij114)
    Well its got to be one or the other.
    They complement each-other. Both bills ban parties with no seats submitting bills of their own accord, which I support. The newer amendment allows MP to second these parties bills, which I also support. I would vote for either, but prefer the second.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    yes, and I will probably post this amendment once the amendment we're currently discussing finishes voting.
    It would really be better if that were just added into this amendment for a second reading.

See above, and stop sounding petty, you guys are supposed to be bringing a little fun to the house But you do have good points.
    I don't see how I was particularly petty. Just calling it how I see it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    It would really be better if that were just added into this amendment for a second reading.
    Yes, but if that doesn't happen I may bring in another amendment (I'd prefer the first option since amendments are drowning us).

Well, at the minute, ANY established TSR member with an MP friend can propoe a bill. So we've spent 4 pages arguing about what name goes at the top of bills?! No wonder people ask themselves what we do in this forum other than sit here *******...

ReputationRep:
    Can someone close this and submit the second reading as above. It seems peoplthe debate's pretty much stopped. If not I'll just submit an act to do this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Can someone close this and submit the second reading as above. It seems peoplthe debate's pretty much stopped. If not I'll just submit an act to do this.
    Its up to Bacondude, hes tabled this amendment he may want it to go to vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alasdair)
    Well, at the minute, ANY established TSR member with an MP friend can propoe a bill. So we've spent 4 pages arguing about what name goes at the top of bills?! No wonder people ask themselves what we do in this forum other than sit here *******...
    Yeah but this is important because I'm not sure anyone in WtF has any MP friends :rofl:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Yeah but this is important because I'm not sure anyone in WtF has any MP friends :rofl:
    Well, politically speaking, just having a "friend" who is an MP should not mean they will pass anything on for you. You should be able to present any MP with a proposal and for them to agree, based upon what it is - this means you need to be tactful and propose it to the people it will appeal to most.

I'd be surprised if amongst 50 MPs you wouldn't find one with an ideological belief that all parties should be able to post bills...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnum Opus)
    Well, politically speaking, just having a "friend" who is an MP should not mean they will pass anything on for you. You should be able to present any MP with a proposal and for them to agree, based upon what it is - this means you need to be tactful and propose it to the people it will appeal to most.
    That depends if they believe that this Amendment is BS and we should be able to submit anything, I suppose.

But yes, I'm sure our policies will easily get MP approval from the cooler members and I do have MP friends really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alasdair)
    I'd be surprised if amongst 50 MPs you wouldn't find one with an ideological belief that all parties should be able to post bills...
    I'll start here - do you hold such a belief?

I'll start here - do you hold such a belief?
    More or less. Probably not for you guys, mind you, as I've never liked joke parties...

Or, I should say, I don't find your brand of humour that funny...

Right, I'm going to annoy half the people here. If this amendment fails I'll be happy. If it passes I'll second whatever **** the WtF party want me to, even though I'll probably vote against it. They can consider me an "MP friend" in that respect.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Jangra we appreciate it.

But note that this amendment as it is written will not allow you to do that. That is why it needs a second reading or Thunder and Jazz's amendment.

As things stand a non-MP can submit a bill with the support of a seconder right? So you could create a dupe called Witness the Fitness. Would that work?

Edit: such a dupe is needed anyway.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm not sure if the same person under a different account would be able to second their own bill, but seeing as the party has more than one member anyway, that wouldn't be necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jangrafess)
    As things stand a non-MP can submit a bill with the support of a seconder right? So you could create a dupe called Witness the Fitness. Would that work?

Edit: such a dupe is needed anyway.
    I would rather the proposer of this amendment had even nominally thought it through, but OK.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.