Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eru Iluvatar)
    Just to clear things up, the constitution does state that only MPs may submit private members bills, in bill procedures (directions to speaker).
    I was told that had been superceeded by an amendment that the Speaker had not yet got around to updating in the constitution thread.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Drogue)
    I was told that had been superceeded by an amendment that the Speaker had not yet got around to updating in the constitution thread.
    They need two supporters to send it to debate though.

ReputationRep:
    *rolls eyes*

People complain that we're going on about updating the constitution that much but now we come across another time when the constitution is out of date? Right then.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    *rolls eyes*

People complain that we're going on about updating the constitution that much but now we come across another time when the constitution is out of date? Right then.
    The constitution is all out of date. I wrote a codified constitution but too many people wanted less in it with a complete rewrite.

ReputationRep:
    *rolls eyes*

There's lots of this. It's why I argued a while ago that somebody needs to update the constitution thread as I, as someone relatively new to the house, have no idea what's still applicable and what isn't. IMHO keeping the constitution up to date is one of the most important jobs of the Speaker.

ReputationRep:
    Suggestion: Dayne, try and cut down the constitution. We can vote on each separate section to ensure that parts that aren't popular don't prevent parts that are popular from being written up.

Pros: Gets it done bit by bit. Needs doing.
    Cons: Could take a long time. Everyone is sick of constitutional crap now. Runs the risk of losing consistency.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    There's lots of this. It's why I argued a while ago that somebody needs to update the constitution thread as I, as someone relatively new to the house, have no idea what's still applicable and what isn't. IMHO keeping the constitution up to date is one of the most important jobs of the Speaker.
    I agree, and its why I did a codification, but people moaned it was too long. Different people moan if I make it shorter though. Its kind of in limbo at the moment. What I'm thinking of doing is bringing in the codified version for now and we can work on it from there. At least then I can keep it updated.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds to me like davirland would probably hit you with the ol' VONC stick if you brought in a brand new constitution on your own authority.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Oh, If I brought it in it would have to be voted in. I wouldn't just replace it with my own constitution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    Oh, If I brought it in it would have to be voted in. I wouldn't just replace it with my own constitution.
    What do you think of the above suggestion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    I agree, and its why I did a codification, but people moaned it was too long. Different people moan if I make it shorter though. Its kind of in limbo at the moment. What I'm thinking of doing is bringing in the codified version for now and we can work on it from there. At least then I can keep it updated.
    Codified version? IMHO, the first step is to make the thread up to date with what's been passed currently. Anything people then don't like can be done using amendments. But then I'm not annoyed by what the constitution is or the endless debates to amend it, I just want to know what it is.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Codified version? IMHO, the first step is to make the thread up to date with what's been passed currently. Anything people then don't like can be done using amendments. But then I'm not annoyed by what the constitution is or the endless debates to amend it, I just want to know what it is.
    Thats what I mean by codified. A version very similar to the one now with the amendments added into it.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    What do you think of the above suggestion?
    I dont think we need to go over it section by section. It takes too long and everyone is too sick of constitution to put up with that.

ReputationRep:
    Sod people who think it's too long. It's too long because they've voted in a constitution that's too long. If you want to shorten it, somebody has to propose which bits to remove or simplify and people have to vote on it. There's no way around it. We can't have a shorter constitution until people pass it.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    I might put that codification to vote tonight. It does need shortening, but that has to be done later. Lets get it all in one constitution first.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to put the codification to a vote. You just need to take the amendments that have been passed and put them into the constitution. They've already been voted on and passed, all that needs to happen is to update the thread with what the constitution currently says.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    The problem there is that the codification contains changes in order to make the amendments fit. Thats why it also makes the constitution all numbered, so that certain parts can be removed and added by future amendments without needing the speaker to interpret them. Its also shorter so as to fit on a single post.

ReputationRep:
    This amendment is pretty pointless. It's opponents have already pointed out exactly which loopholes they're going to use to get round it (loopholes you can't easily close) and as such nothing will really be achieved by it. Unless the thread's about giant Peter North statues more debate is better than less in a model HoC, so can we just vote nay to this clarify what's in the current constitution and move on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nefarious)
    Unless the thread's about giant Peter North statues more debate is better than less in a model HoC...
    I read the TSR Wiki and the guy who wrote it seems to think you were deputy leader for the MRLP...

Is the poker room still up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    I read the TSR Wiki and the guy who wrote it seems to think you were deputy leader for the MRLP...

Is the poker room still up?
    He was in the past I believe.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.