Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Nefarious is a she, I think. In any case, it begs the question:
    kettle pot black?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    I read the TSR Wiki and the guy who wrote it seems to think you were deputy leader for the MRLP...

Is the poker room still up?
    I was at one point in the MRLP yes. Peter North featured in exactly none of our bills though so I'm missing your point with pot kettle black . :p:

The poker room is still there for at least the next month.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what bills your former party proposed so I suppose I'm jumping to conclusions. Were they more conducive to debate than the Peter North Bill? I don't know. In any case, we've just drafted a bill mandating that skinny people take steroids to rid them of their ailment, so not all of our bills are Peter North related.

Peter North is still the man though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    The problem there is that the codification contains changes in order to make the amendments fit. Thats why it also makes the constitution all numbered, so that certain parts can be removed and added by future amendments without needing the speaker to interpret them. Its also shorter so as to fit on a single post.
    I'd just put it together as it's been voted in. If it needs amending then, someone can propose an amendment.

Also, can the Speaker propose bills or amendments? Doesn't an MP need to do it?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what bills your former party proposed so I suppose I'm jumping to conclusions. Were they more conducive to debate than the Peter North Bill? I don't know. In any case, we've just drafted a bill mandating that skinny people take steroids to rid them of their ailment, so not all of our bills are Peter North related.
    I think there was a hint that the MRLP bills were actually funny. The Peter North one gets close, but it's more of a cringeworthy bill than a laughing-out-loud one. The steroids one just sounds a bit meh, like Don Scott's one about psychiatric tests for lefties.

Maybe it's just my sense of humour though.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Drogue)
    I'd just put it together as it's been voted in. If it needs amending then, someone can propose an amendment.

Also, can the Speaker propose bills or amendments? Doesn't an MP need to do it?
    Speaker can do amendments relating to the running of the House. I just can't do anything that would bias the House and I can't debate, vote or submit Bills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    Speaker can do amendments relating to the running of the House. I just can't do anything that would bias the House and I can't debate, vote or submit Bills.
    Ahh, that makes sense.

By the way, did you get my PM about the Environment Bill? Just wanted to check after the issues last time.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Ahh, that makes sense.

By the way, did you get my PM about the Environment Bill? Just wanted to check after the issues last time.
    yep, I got it.

ReputationRep:
    I think there was a hint that the MRLP bills were actually funny. The Peter North one gets close, but it's more of a cringeworthy bill than a laughing-out-loud one. The steroids one just sounds a bit meh, like Don Scott's one about psychiatric tests for lefties.

Maybe it's just my sense of humour though.
    Your point, if you have one, is lost on us. We don't really care if you find it funny, we do it to amuse ourselves.

ReputationRep:
    Your point, if you have one, is lost on us. We don't really care if you find it funny, we do it to amuse ourselves.
    I was explaining why Nefarious' post wasn't the pot calling the kettle black. Moreover, I was explaining why we may support this bill, since while you do it to amuse yourself, if there are bills that aren't serious but others don't find funny, these others will likely think it's a bit of a waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    I was explaining why Nefarious' post wasn't the pot calling the kettle black. Moreover, I was explaining why we may support this bill, since while you do it to amuse yourself, if there are bills that aren't serious but others don't find funny, these others will likely think it's a bit of a waste of time.
    I still don't really see your point. The post was about generating discussion, not being funny. Maybe the hint was that we're not funny, but I don't really care for hints.

In any case, whether you and Nefarious find us funny is irrelevant. There are still people posting in our threads thinking it's funny, so none of you can really decree that it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    In any case, whether you and Nefarious find us funny is irrelevant. There are still people posting in our threads thinking it's funny, so none of you can really decree that it isn't.
    Very true, but I wouldn't say this makes it irrelevant. There's clearly a discussion going on about the role parties without MPs should play in putting bills forward. If you guys can convince the electorate to vote for you (as the MRLP did), this debate becomes mute.

ReputationRep:
    This should be put to vote by now.

ReputationRep:
    Or amended for a second reading, as has been discussed.

ReputationRep:
    Very true, but I wouldn't say this makes it irrelevant. There's clearly a discussion going on about the role parties without MPs should play in putting bills forward. If you guys can convince the electorate to vote for you (as the MRLP did), this debate becomes mute.
    Our group has enough members that we don't really need anyone external to vote for us at the next general election.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Division! Clear Lobbies!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.