Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Internet friend vs potential boyfriend - Q for guys watch

Announcements

There's a guy I've spoken to online for a few months. We speak everyday on the net and text often too. We live in different countries so no plans to meet (yet), but it's nice to chat to him, and though we talk about things like relationships, we don't really discuss any possibility of anything between us, though it's hinted at sometimes.

As a potential boyfriend, would you think it's weird that I have a guy friend who I chat to everyday who I've never met but practically beared my soul to? Would you suggest that I should stop talking to him as it's a bit weird for the relationship, or be jealous that I might discuss the relationship with him? If it was a girl friend instead of a guy, it would be completely different, yes? And what if I had met him already, and we were just friends, would that make the situation different?

Sorry, many questions :redface:

ReputationRep:
    Not really that bothered as long as you talk and confide in me and know that i'm priority not your random foreign online friend

ReputationRep:
    You talk about distance and the fact that he's from another country.

Which country is this because...

Wales and England; you can have a relationship!

Wales and New Zealand; very unlikely!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's weird personally, I have lots of internet friends I feel I can share more with than my real life friends. If you're worried about how your potential bf would react, just dont tell him

ReputationRep:
    As long as you know for sure it's not a pedo, then I think it's cute :p: A lot of couples meet over the internet, there's nothing wrong with it...

(Original post by *MJ*)
    You talk about distance and the fact that he's from another country.

Which country is this because...

Wales and England; you can have a relationship!

Wales and New Zealand; very unlikely!

We are talking UK and mainland europe but there's no relationship to speak of, we are friends... but that's not what I'm asking in the first place! I'm asking, would a potential boyfriend think it's weird?

(Original post by patrickthestarfish)
    I don't think it's weird personally, I have lots of internet friends I feel I can share more with than my real life friends. If you're worried about how your potential bf would react, just dont tell him
    Hmm... but then it's like I'm lying about it from the beginning because it's wrong or something... isn't it bad to start a relationship based on a lie? I don't want a situation months later where my boyfriend would look through my phone and ask who all these texts were from and wonder if I'm cheating on him!

(Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    As long as you know for sure it's not a pedo, then I think it's cute :p: A lot of couples meet over the internet, there's nothing wrong with it...
    Nooo you are misunderstanding me... I'm talking about a different guy. A local guy. Would he think it's weird that I'm talking all the time to another guy from the net?

ReputationRep:
    I would consider it akin to a pen pal and not intrusive on our relationship but I'd think it was wierd. Wouldnt give much thought to it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Nooo you are misunderstanding me... I'm talking about a different guy. A local guy. Would he think it's weird that I'm talking all the time to another guy from the net?
    Oh right (cba to read some threads). He'd think you were wasting your time probably...don't think he'd think much else given the distance between you two.

ReputationRep:
    We are talking UK and mainland europe but there's no relationship to speak of, we are friends... but that's not what I'm asking in the first place! I'm asking, would a potential boyfriend think it's weird?

Is he from Italy???...:eek:

Hmm... but then it's like I'm lying about it from the beginning because it's wrong or something... isn't it bad to start a relationship based on a lie? I don't want a situation months later where my boyfriend would look through my phone and ask who all these texts were from and wonder if I'm cheating on him!

He would have serious doubts where ever the guy was from!

Yes, he would.
    My replies are in bold...

ReputationRep:
    As a potential boyfriend, would you think it's weird that I have a guy friend who I chat to everyday who I've never met but practically beared my soul to?
    Guys and girls can have a deep FRIENDship without anything developing. It's true. I read about it on the internet once.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's weird, plenty of people have online friends.

I just realised how biased half these opinions will be, being the internet and all haha.

But would a local potential boyfriend guy see this guy as a threat in any way? What if the guy says he's coming to UK to visit, or to work/live here?

ReputationRep:
    As a potential boyfriend, would you think it's weird that I have a guy friend who I chat to everyday who I've never met but practically beared my soul to? Would you suggest that I should stop talking to him as it's a bit weird for the relationship, or be jealous that I might discuss the relationship with him?
    Not really, it wouldn't be any different than if you had a close guy friend irl. I might be a bit jealous, but it wouldn't be a problem.

(Original post by ttx)
    Not really, it wouldn't be any different than if you had a close guy friend irl. I might be a bit jealous, but it wouldn't be a problem.
    You speak sense
    I guess it's the same as my boyfriend having a close girl friend too...

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I'd be jealous

ReputationRep:
    You speak sense
    I guess it's the same as my boyfriend having a close girl friend too...
    Precisely. My closest friend is a girl, and I'm hoping any future gf isn't going to get put off by that !

(Original post by sssdeol1)
    Honestly I'd be jealous
    Can you explain why? I want a wide range of opinions

ReputationRep:
    Dunno its just the way i am.I'd want my girlfriend to share all her close personal stuff like feelings with me and me only, well i wouldnt mind if she shared stuff with her girl friends but i would be jealous if she shared stuff with another guy.I have trust issues i suppose

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.