Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Not-Too Distant Future of Gaming (Check these renders out) watch

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    is this for real? looks quite good

ReputationRep:
    I thought you were going to post a Video of the Project Natal or some sor like that, but damnn the first pic i thought was real.

Submitted 2005 though :sigh: Probably fake???

ReputationRep:
    Amazing! But I doubt we'll see these kind of graphics widespread use for awhile.

ReputationRep:
    WOW! I've always thought that the one thing that hasn't really come quite as far in graphics is the human face. There's always been something about the graphics that seem off and prevent you from thinking it looks realistic. But those screens look really convincing. Although the first one looks a little bit like a wax model, its far closer to realism than other screens of cg faces I've seen....

Its always exciting to see how gaming is advancing. I want to fast forward 50 years and see how technology and gaming has changed!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh cool!
    my boyfriend's guna be doing games programming, so he'll be in the middle of all this new technology :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to the uncanny valley!

But, since the amount of work that goes into creating graphics of this level of detail is so great, without a corresponding increase in the market, I think we are going to see games sadly having to cut down on other, more important aspects, hurting gameplay and stifling innovation. I also fear that the speed at which the large developers/publishers have been swallowing the smaller studios will increase even further.

ReputationRep:
    Are these 3d models or like. Photoshopped.

ReputationRep:
    To me, this is only important if gameplay and storyline are matched in effort :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I hope this kinda graphics won't be widespread JUST YET...

Just bought my gtx 260 man ¬_¬

ReputationRep:
    First one was 2005.. Second 2006.. And they are just pictures? Doubt they will be used in gameplay for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    They are CG

ReputationRep:
    OMG WHATTTT?! That looks awesome!

ReputationRep:
    I'd assume photoshop is used for the texturing in most of these. Theres some amazing graphics on that website though, some almost completely indistinguishable from photos.

Like this:

And this:

ReputationRep:
    That's bull****. Can you imagine how much a computer game would cost to make if they went into that much detail on every face?

Those pores on that bloke's cheeks don't make themselves you know, a programmer has to sit there for hours and put those in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnanimity)
    To me, this is only important if gameplay and storyline are matched in effort :yep:

Yeah, what she said :yes:

I imagine these quality of graphics on people in the next Half-Life game. If that ever gets made some time in the near future.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps in another decade we'll see things approach that level of quality. The problem is that, with today's mass market technology, we need powerhouses to render those sorts of images, and if we consider the sheer amount of objects in a game (all the humans, animals, plants etc.) and then factor in the processing power needed for, y'know, the actual game, such level of realism is simply unattainable until we have a breakthrough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrinnyUnlimited)
    That's bull****. Can you imagine how much a computer game would cost to make if they went into that much detail on every face?

Those pores on that bloke's cheeks don't make themselves you know, a programmer has to sit there for hours and put those in.
    That's not something a programmer would do. Anyway, there doesn't necessarily have to be someone sitting there for hours doing stuff like that manually. I'm sure there are algorithms that could do a lot of it procedurally.

ReputationRep:
    nVidia said that it'd be about ten years until graphics are near photo realistic, which sounds about right to me given as the vast majority of games nowadays (Forza 3, Gran Turismo HD and Crysis nonwithstanding) aren't even close. Nevertheless, I'd gladly take great art over photo realistic graphics any day.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.